Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Gary Carter at Fanfest

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
There is a reason they are using a fake youtube name, they are embarrassed at their own actions I suspect this "parent" is a member of several of these message boards possibly including us here at fcb.

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
nyc3 said:
There is a reason they are using a fake youtube name, they are embarrassed at their own actions I suspect this "parent" is a member of several of these message boards possibly including us here at fcb.

Maybe Jeff N. is the recorder :eek:

zan

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
Zan said:
nyc3 said:

Maybe Jeff N. is the recorder :eek:

zan

Nahhh, I didnt hear any lawsuit talk :D ;)

Here is the ebay link people are saying is the same guy, which proves he just wanted $$$

ebay id jlequang

http://contact.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... d=jlequang

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
The Gary Carter "Incident"

Cliff Note version:

Gary Carter was scheduled to sign for all three days at the 2010 All Star game events by MLB. Passes cost $30.00 plus $12.00 for parking. The 1st two days he signs everything put in front of him. On the 3rd day, Gary Carter decides that he isn't signing anything of value for free and decides that he is only signing blank pieces of white paper and his Bible card. However, if you want to make a $25.00 donation, he would sign your item. A guy waited two hours in line which produced this:

[youtube:1rrzt4y3]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrEQlSdCceA[/youtube:1rrzt4y3]

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Re: The Gary Carter "Incident"

Sorry, I didn't see it. Rickey Henderson did it also but atleast had a sign saying he would only be signing paper. MLB responded that they were not happy that Carter was taking money at the table. Evan Longoria also pitched a fit during his signing fest after being late and a guest asked him about Bj Upton.

The only thing I had come close to this Joey Votto during the 2005 All Star game. I waited in line for an hour and half in Montgomery only for him to halfway signed my ball. They blew the whistle and Votto pops up from the table, rolls the ball to me, and throws the pen at me. I got a good looking "J". I later used the ball for batting pratice.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
All I got to say is why would you wait 2 hours in line for Gary Carter ? There is a reason he is not in affiliated baseball and why Gregg Jefferies doesn't care for him.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
Re: The Gary Carter "Incident"

Henderson had no such sign and was pissing people off who waited for him in line and irritating volunteers who had to announce a several times what Rickey would end up signing which ended up only pieces of paper and ticket stubs to the Fan Fest.

19braves77 said:
Sorry, I didn't see it. Rickey Henderson did it also but atleast had a sign saying he would only be signing paper. MLB responded that they were not happy that Carter was taking money at the table. Evan Longoria also pitched a fit during his signing fest after being late and a guest asked him about Bj Upton.

The only thing I had come close to this Joey Votto during the 2005 All Star game. I waited in line for an hour and half in Montgomery only for him to halfway signed my ball. They blew the whistle and Votto pops up from the table, rolls the ball to me, and throws the pen at me. I got a good looking "J". I later used the ball for batting pratice.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
Back in the summer of 1989, I was the visiting clubhouse manager (clubbie) for the Tidewater Tides (NY Mets AAA team). Gary Carter had been injured, and was assigned to Tidewater for a five game rehabilitation assignment, the last 3 of which were in Norfolk. After going 0-6 in the first two games, and 0-2 in the third, he crushed a home run to left field in his final at bat to a standing ovation and a curtain call.

Each day at the ballpark, there were autograph hounds that I knew pretty well. They couldn't get Carter to sign unless they made a donation to the Leukemia Society, as his mother had died from Leukemia when he was just 8 years old. Since I had access to both clubhouses, I approached him with two blank baseballs and asked him to sign them for me: one "To David" and the other "To George", which was my father's name. He obliged without hesitation.

Currently, the ball he signed for me sits with my other autographed baseballs at work, right next to my Tom Seaver ball (also signed "To David"). The ball he signed for my father sits in a box on the floor in my office. I received it, along with lots of other baseball cards and memorabilia, when my father died in 1994.

My memories of Gary Carter are all positive. I remember him being quite likable, which was quite rare for major leaguers appearing in minor league games. During his career, he was the spokesman for the Leukemia Society, and hosted a charity golf tournament every year. Today, the Gary Carter Foundation supports 8 impoverished schools in Palm Beach County. I have been a fan of his for a long time, both as a player and a person.

David

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Gary Carter was a okay signer until the HOF came about and his handler Mead Chasky ruined him. Look at his list of clients and I can tell you a bad story and a good story with all of them. I am sure everyone has a Carter story on both sides of the fence. In while it was funny to saw Gregg Jefferies first order of bats in half during Greg's 1st ST, a veteran and at the time team leader should know when to call off the dogs.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I personally thought that Gary Carter and the security guard handled themselves well.

I mean, yeah, the SG wasn't the wittiest of characters, but the ****** of a camera man is pretty dimwitted himself.

I love when folks choose to stand up for causes that are inane and, when it's all said and done, make them look like complete fools...all the while believing they are somehow "in the right."

Members online

Latest posts