Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

has a team ever had their starting infield start an all star

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

colts1888

Aug 28, 2008
NY
game. If texiera starts to hit in the next month and a half and goes on a tear and the yankees infield(posada,arod,can and jeter continue doing what their doing) would it be the first time in MLB history?

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
colts1888 said:
game. If texiera starts to hit in the next month and a half and goes on a tear and the yankees infield(posada,arod,can and jeter continue doing what their doing) would it be the first time in MLB history?

I think you are REACHING big time. Tex has what, 1 homerun? And Posada over Mauer?

Good luck on that.

To answer your question, I am not sure. I am going to see if I can find the answer to it.

skrip

colts1888

Aug 28, 2008
NY
i know its a stretch but the way the yankees have been playing lately and texiera always starts off miserable it doesnt really sound to farfetched.

posada- .348 3 hrs 9 rbis .423 OBP .630 slugging
Mauer- 346 1 hr 10 rbis .444 OBP .500 slugging

I know its way early but Posada has been looking red hot this season i know theyll never start posada over mauer eve if their numbers wind up being identical unless mauer gets hurt or something

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
With the starting roster based on fan voting, I would think it is high unlikely, regardless of what kind of stats they put up. While I'm sure everyone in New York would love to see their entire infield starting the game, I would think that many fans in other cities would be equally against it, and would have significantly larger voting power.

colts1888

Aug 28, 2008
NY
i know trust me it just seems wild that it could possibly happen as you know jeter,Arod and Cano will all be starting so if the other guys go on a tear and almost force voters to pick them it could potentially happen

braden

Aug 7, 2008
It makes no difference if Tex starts hitting or not. If a team's fans stuff the ballot box, it can happen. Reason #13426563 that the All-Star game is pointless.

shephech

Aug 18, 2008
Oh Canada......
I am not sold on Cano starting... nice start, but he's lucky Hill and Kinsler are injured... they would have given him some tough competition.

Still he could go on a big slump, nothing is a for sure thing this early in the season.... but yeah that would be interesting to see a whole infield lol but hell anything can happen when you got the whole city of NY behind ya ;).

Shep :ugeek:

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
In 1976, the Reds were close with infielders 3B Rose, 2B Morgan, and SS Concepcion starting, plus Foster in the OF. 1B Perez as a reserve.

The Phillies were all-second-team all-stars. They had 3B Mike Schmidt, SS Larry Bowa, 2B Dave Cash, and C Bob Boone on the team, with LF Greg Luzinski starting.

DaveH

Apr 28, 2009
i wouldn't say 'the whole city'.... i doubt most mets fans vote for yankees....

also, there is no way Posada will get voted in over Mauer.

a guy has to be doing phenomenally well to surpass someone entrenched as the top dog. Nelson Cruz has a shot to make the OF based on his impressive numbers.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
DaveH said:

a guy has to be doing phenomenally well to surpass someone entrenched as the top dog. Nelson Cruz has a shot to make the OF based on his impressive numbers.

I also don't think its even close to a sure thing that Cano gets more votes than Pedroia. I think Jeter and A-rod are relative locks, and Teixeira is probably the favorite, but 2nd and catcher are far from sure things

DaveH

Apr 28, 2009
yeah, was just coming back to this thread to mention that Pedroia could beat out Cano. and I even think Longo has a shot at beating a-fraud

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
Dodgers came close:
81garvey.jpg
81lopes.jpg
81russell.jpg

shephech

Aug 18, 2008
Oh Canada......
DaveH said:

Yeah didn't actually mean the "whole city" haha, basically Yankees have the biggest fanbase and more people are backing those players is what I meant.

Yeah I don't think Posada beats out Mauer... and I think it will be close at 2nd base... would like to see Aaron Hill come back strong and get back there in back2back years! (he is back tonight from injury).

Shep :ugeek:

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Remember that all-star voting is a popularity contest, not a 'who's having the best year' contest.

Yankees and Red Sox will always be near the top of all voting because of their extensive fan bases, but Mauer is also a very popular player nationwide.

And even though A-Rod is the best of the Yankees, let's not forget about that Longoria guy who won the love of baseball fans around the nation last year.

Jeter will likely win the SS vote by a lot.

I think 2B is more up for grabs as well, I wouldn't even think Cano would be the favorite.

We're only about a dozen games into the season, there's a lot of baseball to be played before the votes are tallied.

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
braden said:
It makes no difference if Tex starts hitting or not. If a team's fans stuff the ballot box, it can happen. Reason #13426563 that the All-Star game is pointless.

It's a pinstripes and popularity contest. Tex makes it if he's on the DL.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
The short answer is no.

The 2002 Yankees had starters Jason Giambi (1B), Alfonso Soriano (2B), and Jorge Posada (C). Derek Jeter (SS), Robin Ventura (3B) were both reserves. Mariano Rivera was also an All Star, so they could have feasibly had all 6 of the non outfield positions occupied by Yankees at one time.

Before that, the 1954 White Sox had a catcher and 4 infielders make the All Star team as well:
C: Sherm Lollar
1B: Ferris Fain
2B: Nellie Fox
SS: Chico Carrasquel
3B: Cass Michaels

David

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
I want to say it did happen with the Reds or the Cardinals in the early '60's. The fans stuffed the ballot box and the league had to step in and set new starters. I believe it also stopped fan voting for awhile because of it.

thenumberonemetfan

Aug 7, 2008
Bronx,Ny
leatherman said:
The short answer is no.

The 2002 Yankees had starters Jason Giambi (1B), Alfonso Soriano (2B), and Jorge Posada (C). Derek Jeter (SS), Robin Ventura (3B) were both reserves. Mariano Rivera was also an All Star, so they could have feasibly had all 6 of the non outfield positions occupied by Yankees at one time.

Before that, the 1954 White Sox had a catcher and 4 infielders make the All Star team as well:

David

Isnt that the whole starting infield?

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
thenumberonemetfan said:
leatherman said:
The short answer is no.

David

Isnt that the whole starting infield?

They all MADE the AS team, not all started according to that post

bdj610

Aug 7, 2008
Des Plaines, IL
Last year the Rays had their all four infield positions at the game, (Carlos Peña 1b, Ben Zobrist 2b, Evan Longoria 3b-elected to start, but did not play due to injury, and Jason Bartlett ss). Not to mention that Carl Crawford was the MVP of the game.

Then on the other hand all three Phillies outfielders were at the game too (Shane Victorino, Jayson Werth, and Raul Ibañez).

Members online

No members online now.