Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Heritage Black Refractors - The Road to 500 - CONTEST WINNER

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
Just wanted to share my collection of black refractors up to this point. Right now, I have 442 different blacks, and scans of all are here:

http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z142 ... ?start=all

Sometime this summer, I hope to pick up black refractor #500. I'll definitely run some sort of contest, but for now I have no idea what it might be or what the prize will be. I'll update this thread as I get closer, and with more info on the contest. The blacks are far and away my favorite sets to collect right now for a couple of reasons. They are just SO tough to come by (roughly one per case), and they are just great looking cards in person. Right now my 2 most wanted blacks are a 2005 Sean Marshall and a 2007 Carlos Zambrano, because they are the only 2 that I can think of which feature a black background to go with the black border. It's like, how much more black can that card be? And the answer is none. None more black.

As always, help is always appreciated, so if you happen to see any black refs at your local shows, please keep me in mind. I haven't been trading much lately, but I do still have plenty of tradebait available. Thanks for the look and I wil bump this thread once in a blue moon.

piggy1918

Jul 31, 2009
Re: Topps Heritage Black Refractors - The Road to 500

Wow, awesome collection. I don't know too much in the way of black ref's but 442 is an astounding number... congrats! And I agree, they look great both in scans and in person. Good luck hitting that 500th ref!

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL

Thanks - at this point, there are 1,039 different blacks that have been produced.

2004 - 110 cards, numbered /55
2005 - 110 cards, numbered /56
2006 - 109 cards, numbered /57
2007 - 110 cards, numbered /58
2008 - 300 cards, numbered /59
2009 - 200 cards, numbered /60
2010 - 100 cards, numbered /61

I'm assuming that there will be a Heritage update set again this year, so that will bump it up by another 100. The 2008 set is a beast, broken up into 3 series - series 1 was released in Topps Heritage, series 2 in Topps Chrome, and series 3 in Heritage update. I am closest to completing the 2008 series 3 set - I lack 8 cards, all commons. Would be 7, but the Marco Scutaro I got from COMC was lost in the mail - ACK! Only the second one I have ever seen since release.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008

Amazing feat, fantastic set. I love the backs of the set as much as the front.

The ones you're missing that were packed into retail will be TOUGH to get, but you'll eventually find them.

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL

uniquebaseballcards said:
Amazing feat, fantastic set. I love the backs of the set as much as the front.

The ones you're missing that were packed into retail will be TOUGH to get, but you'll eventually find them.

There were never any retail exclusives (that I know of), but they did break up the series into different product releases, ie in 2008 cards C1-C100 were in Topps Heritage, C101-C200 were in Topps Chrome, and C201-C300 were in Topps Heritage High Numbers. If some of the cards were retail exclusives, that would definitely explain the scarcity of some of the cards, but they are all pretty tough to find in the first place.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008

Hey you stole that Tap line from my what I had in my old sig:
noneMoreBlacksm.jpg
Which I stole from Tap.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008

Hey man! I know someone who collects topps heritage also, he also has a ton of blacks, but he collects topps
heritage autos! LOL

oh and no update this year for heritage.

KEvin

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL

Just hit #450 today. I'll post details of the contest when I get to #475 or thereabouts.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008

man I wish I would've saw this thread like 2 days ago, I just recently sold my Nolan Reimold black ref from 2009...unless it was you that bought it on ebay...

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL

Contest update -

Still haven't decided what exactly the prize will be, but rest assured that it will be a nice surprise that will involve some Topps Heritage cards and some others that will be extremely relevant to the winner's interests.

Here's the format for the contest itself. Each poster will be allowed one guess. Your guess will consist of three parts and one tie breaker. To make your guess, it will help if you look at the Heritage black refs I currently own, which can be viewed here:

http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z142/heritagetrade/Topps Heritage PC/Black Refractors/?start=all

You'll see that the cards are in order by year and then card number, starting with 2004 and working up to 2010. The contest will be to guess which card is black refractor #500 for my collection. I'll be updating this thread as I receive new ones in the mail. Your entry should be the YEAR of this card, followed by the TEAM, and then the PLAYER. The tie breaker will be the serial number out of XX, ie "Serial number 10/XX" since each year is numbered to a different amount. You'll want to take a look at what I already have to make sure that your guess will be an eligible card that I still need.

Right now, there are 450 different blacks, and the contest will close when I get to black refractor #490.

Thanks for looking at my collection, and good luck with your guesses!

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
Re: Heritage Black Refractors - The Road to 500 - CONTEST ADDED!

Welp, I am up to 456 blacks after this weekend. Should hit 470 sometime next week thanks to an awesome trade here on FCB. No contest entries so far, so if you enter, the odds are good.

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL

Oh Lordy I am looking at a pile of new black refractors on my desk. I will be hitting 490 sooner than I thought.

Not one contest entry so far. At this point you could enter a guess of a hockey card and you would be the winner.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY

Does it bother you that they are putting Heritage Chromes in Topps Chrome again this year?I know it pissed alot of collectors off in 2008.
Mike

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL

hofmichael said:
Does it bother you that they are putting Heritage Chromes in Topps Chrome again this year?I know it pissed alot of collectors off in 2008.
Mike

This is the first I'm hearing of it. Pissed off isn't really the right word, but nonplussed might fit a little better. I've heard there will not be a Heritage update this year. It actually does help me add cards to my collection when Heritage chromes are released in non-Heritage products, because a lot of it ends up getting opened by people who aren't necessarily wanting to keep the Heritage stuff they pull. I always try to stock up on tradebait for that reason.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY

mudflap02 said:
hofmichael said:
Mike

This is the first I'm hearing of it. Pissed off isn't really the right word, but nonplussed might fit a little better. I've heard there will not be a Heritage update this year. It actually does help me add cards to my collection when Heritage chromes are released in non-Heritage products, because a lot of it ends up getting opened by people who aren't necessarily wanting to keep the Heritage stuff they pull. I always try to stock up on tradebait for that reason.
Here is a link to the sell sheet on Blowout.Apparently they are putting 200 of them in this time.
http://www.blowoutcards.com/index.php?m ... ts_id=4324

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL

I have at least 10 incoming. Contest closes at 490. No entries so far. I feel like I'm playing Celebrity Jeopardy. Just name this continent.

ASIA

Members online