Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Hobby/Retail wax hording

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1952toppsguy

Mar 29, 2020
I've never been that lucky! 86 could have also hoarding Garbage Pail Kids, though they got harder to find. The 86 fleet basketball they were giving away!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

sjm76

Feb 27, 2020
I remember going to my local hobby store and seeing about 15 boxes of 2000 Playoff Contenders football for $90 a box. Now they are selling for over $11,000 each. (Sigh)

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
I have no trouble buying older boxes and putting them on a shelf. What you guys are showing isnt hoarding. My main issues is these investment groups (as heavily advertised on other forums) buying up all the hobby/retail boxes to intentionally drive up prices. I'm not so sure Topps/Panini isnt complicit with this practice to drive demand/prices for their product. If the Topps/Panini isnt complicit, then their distributors could be as they always know what's hot and what sells. They take the orders, process/ship them and sometimes, due to demand, either cuts the order or cancels it altogether. I know breakers are in the equation but breakers want to break, not hoard and hold on to.

Fordman

sjm76

Feb 27, 2020
goal

I remember going to my local hobby store and seeing about 15 boxes of 2000 Playoff Contenders football for $90 a box. Now they are selling for over $11,000 each. (Sigh)

I think that's everyone's dream when buying unopened retail/hobby boxes and stashing them away. Had someone bought the 15 boxes of Contenders for $90 a box back then and resold now, that would have been $170,000. Enough to buy a small to medium-sized house.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
I've never thought about collecting (rather, investing in) sealed wax, but the appreciation is incredible. Averaging for all years, releases and products, the returns are probably not as impressive. There are only a few key products each decade that command such prices. How does the profit on buying and holding a Brady Contender RC or Jordan RC compare to buying sealed wax from that year? Wouldn't that have less risk involved, and be easier because it would require less space/shipping, etc? Or am I completely wrong, and do sealed boxes offer a greater return?

Second, aside from these 'key' releases, does the average Bowman Chrome release appreciate? After the initial hype, I imagine prices fall below the initial offering price as distributors clear inventory to make room for newer products. If one were to buy then and hold as an investment could they sell at a premium 2-3 years later when a rookie makes their debut and the product becomes hot again? If there is a steady 30-40% profit or more, this type of model would make sense as an investment.

joey12508 - Didn't know that famous picture was from Fordham Rd. My mechanic I've gone to for years is over there.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
I've never thought about collecting (rather, investing in) sealed wax, but the appreciation is incredible. Averaging for all years, releases and products, the returns are probably not as impressive. There are only a few key products each decade that command such prices. How does the profit on buying and holding a Brady Contender RC or Jordan RC compare to buying sealed wax from that year? Wouldn't that have less risk involved, and be easier because it would require less space/shipping, etc? Or am I completely wrong, and do sealed boxes offer a greater return?

Second, aside from these 'key' releases, does the average Bowman Chrome release appreciate? After the initial hype, I imagine prices fall below the initial offering price as distributors clear inventory to make room for newer products. If one were to buy then and hold as an investment could they sell at a premium 2-3 years later when a rookie makes their debut and the product becomes hot again? If there is a steady 30-40% profit or more, this type of model would make sense as an investment.

joey12508 - Didn't know that famous picture was from Fordham Rd. My mechanic I've gone to for years is over there.

hey ravi, spent my youth growing up in the boogie down Bronx. use to do the bleachers at the old stadium 75 cents

Members online