Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How much is this worth?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

patdan16

Jan 19, 2021
I have a 1999 Bowman Chrome International Refractor Adam Dunn serial numbered 1-100, this is #61. It was my dads along with a bunch of other nice cards as he collected but I can't seem to find an exact or similar one numbered for sale anywhere. Besides sending it in to be graded and valued, where can I find out about what it is worth. I see ones that do not have the serial number and are almost perfect for about 200.00. Anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate. My son has started going thru the collection and is finding great cards and I am just trying to help along the way. Thanks for your time!

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Looking at recent ebay sales, base 1999 BCs are a couple bucks, and no parallels have sold recently. Looking at the wider Dunn market, a 2011 Topps Chrome Superfractor 1/1 sold for $277, the highest price for a Dunn. I'd put that down more to 2011 TC being a popular design than Dunn himself. Dunn's star has dimmed quite a bit since he retired and he got just a single Hall of Fame vote last year, so he's never going to be elected. Only about 4 other Dunns sold for $100 or more, including a 1/1 Letterman. I'd say it's $100 or so for the BC International Refractor, maybe a little premium if it's literally the 1/100. And $100 is the absolute top price you might get raw if you listed it as a Buy-it-now, maybe $150 for a PSA 10, but realistically if you listed it for a straight auction it'd likely close under $100.

Thinking back to how red hot that card would've been in 1999. I sent in a base Dunn on my first BGS order, got a 9.5, and sold it for $175 in the summer of 99. That set and BGS was like printing money. An Intl Ref Dunn probably booked at $500.

patdan16

Jan 19, 2021
Thanks for taking the time to write back, I will pass that info along to my son. So I guess since there have been no sales there is nothing to compare it to thou. I do have a pic I will add to the post. Do you think it would be in some type of guide book?

patdan16

Jan 19, 2021
Looking at recent ebay sales, base 1999 BCs are a couple bucks, and no parallels have sold recently. Looking at the wider Dunn market, a 2011 Topps Chrome Superfractor 1/1 sold for $277, the highest price for a Dunn. I'd put that down more to 2011 TC being a popular design than Dunn himself. Dunn's star has dimmed quite a bit since he retired and he got just a single Hall of Fame vote last year, so he's never going to be elected. Only about 4 other Dunns sold for $100 or more, including a 1/1 Letterman. I'd say it's $100 or so for the BC International Refractor, maybe a little premium if it's literally the 1/100. And $100 is the absolute top price you might get raw if you listed it as a Buy-it-now, maybe $150 for a PSA 10, but realistically if you listed it for a straight auction it'd likely close under $100.

Thinking back to how red hot that card would've been in 1999. I sent in a base Dunn on my first BGS order, got a 9.5, and sold it for $175 in the summer of 99. That set and BGS was like printing money. An Intl Ref Dunn probably booked at $500.

Attachments

• 7A534A51-A47E-48B2-9721-E03E66374AE9.jpeg
    7A534A51-A47E-48B2-9721-E03E66374AE9.jpeg
    80.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 70551104-FC7B-45D5-98F0-23E13502A46B.jpeg
    70551104-FC7B-45D5-98F0-23E13502A46B.jpeg
    98.4 KB · Views: 29

Ct Sox Fan

Aug 20, 2008
Connecticut
Thanks for taking the time to write back, I will pass that info along to my son. So I guess since there have been no sales there is nothing to compare it to thou. I do have a pic I will add to the post. Do you think it would be in some type of guide book?
You could check www.Beckett.com and pay for a month of their price guide. It might help you and your son understand what cards are "more valuable" that you have, but for actual idea of what someone would pay for it, no better way than the advice that smapdi gave. Check past eBay sales. You could also check on COMC.com (Check out My Cards) and see what others are selling for. While no Adam Dunns were listed, you will find most 1999 Bowman International Refractors are selling for between $8 and $10. Enjoy sorting and looking through them with your son!

patdan16

Jan 19, 2021
Ok we will do that. Wouldn't this card be worth more than a non serial numbered card, as I saw on line one with out it and in excellent condition was 200.00?

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Ok we will do that. Wouldn't this card be worth more than a non serial numbered card, as I saw on line one with out it and in excellent condition was 200.00?

Just because somebody is trying to sell it for $200 doesn't mean it's worth that much or that anybody would actually pay that much.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
The sportscard market is strange at times and you never know when a bidding war can erupt over what most would consider a common card. Certain serial numbered cards have a dedicated following and bring in lots of $, but even today, low serial numbers do not always equate to high $. You really have to know the market to really have a good feeling what something may sell for. By that, i mean someone who collects Dunn specifically or someone who collects that aprticular parallel/insert set.

For example, I consider myself an expert on the Steve Garvey card and memorabilia market, but even I get tripped up now and again, plus the last few months have thrown all normal sales and comps out the window on a lot of things. People who I do not recognize on ebay are buying up all kinds of Steve Garvey stuff at rates I have not seen in 10+ years and it's actually kind of humorous, as I believe those prices will not hold. If people are buying for investment or flipping, most of them will have a rude awakening coming.

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
Hey @patdan16, I can help answer your questions as I own 6 of these cards. The most I paid for a copy was a PSA 9 numbered 032/100. I went high on the card because of the condition and Dunn wore #32 during 4 of his 14 MLB seasons. That being said, I also own 044/100 (his jersey number with the Reds, probably my personal favorite Dunn card) and 100/100. Not every set or player collector pays a premium for these types of serial numberings but I believe they contributed to slightly higher than average prices on 3 of my 6 copies. I can't say for sure that your card is worth grading as the centering will keep it a PSA 8-9 and I don't trust the surface of a card kept in a screw down case to survive upon removal.

The lowest amount I paid for one of these was $11.02 (I can't remember why the total price was so low but it was a great deal). All 6 of my Dunn International Refractors averaged out to $57.11 per card. That seems to be a reasonable market price to me but you could see something higher with patience. Good luck!

Members online

Latest posts