Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How much is your collection worth?

If you had to answer today, without any further research, what is your collection worth today?

• Under $1000

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • $1,000-$10,000

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • $10,000-$100,000

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • over $100,000

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • You children play with peanuts...I am sitting on at least $1M+

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
I’m with you on that approach. I’ve never collected Puckett cards as an investment, it’s always been fun and something I’ve stuck with the longest in my life. My son more than likely will realize the investment side of the collection someday.

Big shout out to jszczech, it’s more fun collecting and talking Puckett with him over the years as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app
Agreed talking with you and other Puckett collectors makes me enjoy it so much more. I honestly never thought of it as an investment but I suppose it will end up that way at some point. Although I may not be the one to pull the plug on the selloff.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
I'm scared to think about it. Reason being, its actual value is a damn sight less than I've paid over the decades. But it makes me happy, and feeds the monster that is my OCD. I love that collection.
Have no fear, the Night Crew Shill Squad (TM) has your back! :) We will pump up those losses into massive gains!!

teamwork-voltron.jpg

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
If we are speaking just the cards, not a whole lot. But if we include everything- game used bats, game used jerseys, signed baseballs, signed 8x10s, bobbleheads, and more (signed cds and vinyl is a side collection of mine), then it starts getting up there to the point where I don't want my wife to actually know the value of it while I'm alive lol

domino2012

Aug 17, 2008
Mourmelon le Grand, France
It's never been about the money but I understand people who invest in cards.
That said, in the long run when I decide to sell off my collection (the day will come since nobody in my family is interested), then I hope to make a small profit... we'll see. I just enjoy collecting.
I have not bought a single card in 2021... sold off a bit of vintage... needed money (still do)... so the time of selling might come earlier than expected. Again, time will tell.
For non collectors who ask what it's worth... it's worth my time, memories, the love of the game and players... and most of all, it's priceless to me. Street wise, it's worth whatever someone will pay for it when that day comes.
Have a nice day everyone.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
I've flipped cards and smaller lots over the years for quick profit to allow me to stretch my hobby budget, but my intent has never been to buy/hold for long term value. Over the last 15 years, I've curated my collection at times to pay for other life expenses along the way which has kept my collection value down.

Do I wish I had held onto my 86-87 Fleer and early Marvel stuff? Of course, but if I had, that would mean I would also have a closetful of other commons/inserts. I'm glad I've kept the discipline only to collect what I like rather than buy a bit of everything. That has put me in a better financial state than any long term "profit" I would have gained on my cards.

Makes me think too, based on my collecting interests, even if I had every card I could realistically want, I don't think my theoretical collection value would be more than $100,000. Unless I were to go after PSA 10 Mantles which I don't see happening.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I've flipped cards and smaller lots over the years for quick profit to allow me to stretch my hobby budget, but my intent has never been to buy/hold for long term value. Over the last 15 years, I've curated my collection at times to pay for other life expenses along the way which has kept my collection value down.

Do I wish I had held onto my 86-87 Fleer and early Marvel stuff? Of course, but if I had, that would mean I would also have a closetful of other commons/inserts. I'm glad I've kept the discipline only to collect what I like rather than buy a bit of everything. That has put me in a better financial state than any long term "profit" I would have gained on my cards.

Makes me think too, based on my collecting interests, even if I had every card I could realistically want, I don't think my theoretical collection value would be more than $100,000. Unless I were to go after PSA 10 Mantles which I don't see happening.
Of course it always comes down to what someone has and to address an earlier comment, my original question was meant to cover all sports memorabilia collectibles...your entire collection.

A guy that has signed jerseys, high end GU stuff, major Iconic cards, etc and those "hits" can scratch off $1000s in one swing. Even thinking down to things like a Koufax, Mays, Aaron, Pujols, etc auto can add up at $100-500 or more a pop too.

That is what really got me thinking about it. i might be a lower end collector in general for example, but if I had 3000 cards that realistically would sell for $20-50 each, i have somewhere between $60-$150K right there! That seems like a lot at first glance, but they add up fast. Sprinkle in some $100+ items, maybe you are fortunate enough to have some $1K+ items and you may be sniffing the quarter million barrier w/o even thinking about it. The tough part is getting that amount out of each and every card or item you might be using to calculate.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
In the $1-10,000 range.

But it would be 5 times if I had kept all the “junk wax era” basketball cards and wax I had.

‘90-91 UD, Skybox and Fleer especially. 😢

I know I had 50 of those Jordan baseball cards from ‘91 UD Baseball that now go for around $30…

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
The SP1 Jordans are selling for $30? That is cool, but a little crazy too. That has to be new collectors or grading speculators. Otherwise, most of us have had 30 years to pick them up in the dollar bins at shows and shops!

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
The SP1 Jordans are selling for $30? That is cool, but a little crazy too. That has to be new collectors or grading speculators. Otherwise, most of us have had 30 years to pick them up in the dollar bins at shows and shops!
Honestly it’s insane with a huge range of prices. Check the pic below.

But it’s not just that card. I’ve seen his ‘90-91 base Fleer at shows/LCS for $30ish.

Almost All the mass produced early 90s basketball has gone crazy the last year and a half.

Skybox boxes for $100ish that were $10 pre-Last Dance, etc.

Crazy…

Attachments

• 86DB623E-0520-484C-9F26-1ACFE6CEC957.jpeg
    86DB623E-0520-484C-9F26-1ACFE6CEC957.jpeg
    70.7 KB · Views: 6

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Of course it always comes down to what someone has and to address an earlier comment, my original question was meant to cover all sports memorabilia collectibles...your entire collection.

A guy that has signed jerseys, high end GU stuff, major Iconic cards, etc and those "hits" can scratch off $1000s in one swing. Even thinking down to things like a Koufax, Mays, Aaron, Pujols, etc auto can add up at $100-500 or more a pop too.

That is what really got me thinking about it. i might be a lower end collector in general for example, but if I had 3000 cards that realistically would sell for $20-50 each, i have somewhere between $60-$150K right there! That seems like a lot at first glance, but they add up fast. Sprinkle in some $100+ items, maybe you are fortunate enough to have some $1K+ items and you may be sniffing the quarter million barrier w/o even thinking about it. The tough part is getting that amount out of each and every card or item you might be using to calculate.

It really does add up quickly. The Apache case I took to work with me yesterday has about $8,000 in cards in it and I don't even think of the stuff in there as expensive, just lots of $75-$125 cards.

deaconblues63

Oct 25, 2012
I'm selling off the bulk of my collection as we speak. so I should have a pretty good idea shortly, but to be honest, it has never been about the money. No matter what I get for it, it won't come close to the personal value it held for me.

Chasing down the Fleer World Series cards that I collected when I was a kid and then learning about all the Laughlin cards that were out there, rediscovering how great Kellogg's 3D cards are, rebuilding a 1973 Topps set, the first set I ever collected, the joy of finding TTM cards instead of bills in my mailbox, these things were priceless.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Totally agree. I clearly have a deeper appreciation for trading cards than many average folks have had over the years, like many of you have/had as well. It's been a nearly lifelong journey for me, essentially from 1978 to present (with a brief break in the late 80s/early 90s) and even as I think about parting with anything remotely "good", I cringe at those thoughts like it is just plain wrong.

Latest posts