Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I thought this would never happen to me but I got laid off..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

muchuckwagon

Oct 8, 2008
Deceased
To give you a little insight from the other side of the coin.....layoffs are painful and even more so when your goal is to simply keep the doors. I was part of a management team that reduced a company from 900+ employees down to 300 and it was horrible.

The layoffs took place over an 9 to 18 month time frame and were based on cash flow projects (collections) less requirements of the next payroll. This meant there was no severance or vacation payouts, you were let go that day with only a handshake.

The goal was to keep the doors open and protect the well-being of as many employees as possible....live to fight another day. The prior management team left the company a mess and debt was out of control.

The banks terminated the line-of-credit and the remaining assets only covered 5 - 10% of the debt balance. It is not easy to sleep at night knowing what you had done to people and their families....as many of my co-workers were close friends. These are very uncertain times which is why I always tell people to save for a rainy day and not get in over your head trying to keep up with the Joneses.

Best of luck to the OP with the job search.

Bruin7

Aug 7, 2008
FL
ru4scuba said:
JoshHamilton said:
ru4scuba said:
JoshHamilton said:
This is why I will never give any employer the benefit of putting in two weeks notice. They expect two weeks so they can find a replacement, but they have no problem laying someone off with no warning and no time to find employment elsewhere? Utter hypocrisy

Really? What happens when you're looking for a new job that wants references? I'm sure a lot of those former employers will remember you leaving them high and dry.

I know there are risks involved

But what gives employers the right to leave you high and dry without consequence, but you can't do the same? It's a double standard, and it's unfair

As Mario said a couple posts up, "welcome to the real world." Your stance on the matter reeks of immaturity and lack of professionalism. All it takes is one background call to a former employer that you didn't give notice to and you will have cost yourself a future position.

The good thing is that the VP of Sales and the CEO said they were willing to get on the phone, write a letter, or do anything possible if I needed a recommendation. They offered me a severance till the end of January (4 pay periods) in the form of a lump sum. I've never been laid off so does this mean 4 pay checks at a single time? It doesn't really help my family's situation but its better than nothing.

Allen

ru4scuba

Aug 7, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
Bruin7 said:
The good thing is that the VP of Sales and the CEO said they were willing to get on the phone, write a letter, or do anything possible if I needed a recommendation. They offered me a severance till the end of January (4 pay periods) in the form of a lump sum. I've never been laid off so does this mean 4 pay checks at a single time? It doesn't really help my family's situation but its better than nothing.

Allen

Usually it means one big payoff. At least you're getting something to help carry you until you find something. Be sure to file for unemployment asap. You've been paying into the system and this is what it is there for.

MTBright

Aug 7, 2008
Bruin7 said:
ru4scuba said:
JoshHamilton said:
ru4scuba said:
JoshHamilton said:
This is why I will never give any employer the benefit of putting in two weeks notice. They expect two weeks so they can find a replacement, but they have no problem laying someone off with no warning and no time to find employment elsewhere? Utter hypocrisy

Really? What happens when you're looking for a new job that wants references? I'm sure a lot of those former employers will remember you leaving them high and dry.

But what gives employers the right to leave you high and dry without consequence, but you can't do the same? It's a double standard, and it's unfair

As Mario said a couple posts up, "welcome to the real world." Your stance on the matter reeks of immaturity and lack of professionalism. All it takes is one background call to a former employer that you didn't give notice to and you will have cost yourself a future position.

Allen

Yes it is i one check ussally. I am sorry you have to go through this. It sucks that your family has to go through this.

wideright

Aug 7, 2008
Really bad timing on your company's part. That sucks right during the holidays. At least you have the 4 weeks of pay and can draw unemployment for the time being. Make sure you find out how long unemployment payments lasts. Good luck to you and your family.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
Sorry to hear about this. The timing is terrible too. Unfortunately, Christmas falls at the end of the year. Which is really what it has to do with mostly. The sad thing is, it's likely to get worse after Christmas for a lot of people.

As someone who is self employed, and grew up in a family where my father was as well, layoffs are never something a company wants to do. Believe me, companies try to do whatever they can to prevent laying people off. With bigger companies there's more bureaucracy and stock market influences, but they still don't want to do it because it's means they are likely loosing a ton of money.

studioclint

Aug 10, 2008
Chicago
Hey that blows. What was your position? All the ad agencies are laying people off in Philly like mad right now. It is starting to get scary.

jas1214

Sep 4, 2008
Sorry to hear about your job - never like to hear that someone lost their position, let alone someone with a family to provide for. My company (insurance/finance) just went through a really small reduction (500 employees out of 30,000+) but we all know there is more to come next year. It's very nerve wracking to know it's coming. Unfortunately the worst employees aren't the first to go.

As said before, be proactive in finding something. There are a lot of people out of work, and more to come next year - your competition for open positions will become greater as time goes on.

I hope the best for you and your family both during your holiday season and beyond.

dreamerfan

Aug 10, 2008
Rochester,Mi
Sorry to hear that. My girlfriend lost her job yesterday. Her plant shut down mid day and told everyone that they were out of a job. It is not much better for me right now as with Chrysler might be hitting the tank soon.

rctdw

Sep 2, 2008
Sorry to hear about your layoff man that sucks

I work as a metal fabricator for a pontoon company and will all of these job loses people just arent buying boats anymore.
so we just found out the other day that we are being laid off for atleast five weeks hopefully to stock up on some boat orders if not then we dont know when or if we will ever get called back.

Fortunately i dont have any kids right now just me and the wife so we should be ok with the unemployment right now.

but anyways i wish you the best and good luck finding another job

Ryan

jas1214

Sep 4, 2008
JoshHamilton said:
ru4scuba said:
JoshHamilton said:
ru4scuba said:
JoshHamilton said:

If my mindset reeks of immaturity and a lack of professionalism, what does it say about businesses that use the same practice?

If there was an employer reference check that potential employees could use to determine the merits of an employer, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Fact is, 'they' are the man - they've got the money and you don't. You need them a heck of a lot more than they need you. That's a fact and they're all well aware of it. There is no one who is irreplacable anywhere - someone will always come along and do better for cheaper.

There is a way around this whole twisted design - it's called self-employment. It can be argued that's where your real headaches begin, though.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
jas1214 said:
JoshHamilton said:
ru4scuba said:
JoshHamilton said:
ru4scuba said:
[quote="JoshHamilton":m5bpkizr]This is why I will never give any employer the benefit of putting in two weeks notice. They expect two weeks so they can find a replacement, but they have no problem laying someone off with no warning and no time to find employment elsewhere? Utter hypocrisy

If my mindset reeks of immaturity and a lack of professionalism, what does it say about businesses that use the same practice?

If there was an employer reference check that potential employees could use to determine the merits of an employer, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Fact is, 'they' are the man - they've got the money and you don't. You need them a heck of a lot more than they need you. That's a fact and they're all well aware of it. There is no one who is irreplacable anywhere - someone will always come along and do better for cheaper.

There is a way around this whole twisted design - it's called self-employment. It can be argued that's where your real headaches begin, though.[/quote:m5bpkizr]

I don't think any reasonable person who has experienced it would argue with that. I can't tell you how many times I "think" I'm done for the day, just to find out someone screwed up or didn't show and now I have to work their job too.

To me self employment is about the freedom to do what I want. Which unfortunately, ends up not being as free as one would think. :lol:

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I'm sorry about your job. Try to remain positive. Maybe you'll find your dream job next.
Eight of my co-workers just got laid off this week at my TV station, including the head of my news division.
It's terrible watching people crying, packing up and leaving for the final time.
We all work close to each other in the newsroom and we're friends, so it's tough.
I wish you and your family the best.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts