Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

IF the Marlins trade Stanton, who would YOUR team have to give up to get him ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Just got to thinking about this tonight, slipping it in with the usual wrestling / MST3K / JJ thoughts that tumble aimlessly between my ears.

Phillies don't have enough, plain & simple.

My homestate team, which I watch most of the time & cheer for, the Minnesota Twins, have an incredibly deep farm system, but I believe it'd take:

Berrios
Rosario
Sano

and probably at least ONE other pitcher, if not two.

What would be your teams treasure trove that would be taking their talents (eventually) to South Beach for LTP ?

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
Just got to thinking about this tonight, slipping it in with the usual wrestling / MST3K / JJ thoughts that tumble aimlessly between my ears.

Phillies don't have enough, plain & simple.

My homestate team, which I watch most of the time & cheer for, the Minnesota Twins, have an incredibly deep farm system, but I believe it'd take:

Berrios
Rosario
Sano

and probably at least ONE other pitcher, if not two.

What would be your teams treasure trove that would be taking their talents (eventually) to South Beach for LTP ?

Dahl Butler and Parker. Stanton would fit nicely in the line up between Cargo and Tulo with Cuddyer 6 hole. What a nightmare middle order for any pitcher! Stanton could challenge Bonds 73 playing half his games @ Coors Field.

jbmm161

Dec 19, 2010
Ft Worth
I would love for the Rangers to pick him up. I think the Marlins are going to want way to much in return from any team. And I just don't think the Rangers front office will give into the Marlins demands and he will be dealt to a lesser team for lesser prospects in return.

I would be ok with them dealing pretty much anyone but the guys I collect :)

SydBarrett

Mar 6, 2011
Before the season, or hell even halfway through I would have thought it would be something like Walker, Franklin, Miller and maybe even Saunders but now I don't know if the Mariners have enough expendable players. Looking that players the Mariners would be willing to give up, it would probably take Walker, Hultzen, Romero.......I don't even know if they would do that either way. Regardless, at the beginning of the season I would have traded Franklin and Miller no question, but after seeing how well they played together at the major-league level there is no way in hell I would give up that future.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Not sure if the Orioles have enough but it would definitely have to start with Bundy or Gausman...but the O's would not give up both.

I'm thinking something like Bundy, Schoop, Eduardo Rodriguez, and a MLB-ready player still with potential like Reimold or Zach Britton.

And I would do it in a heart beat.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Are you guys overvaluing Stanton at this point? He has been downright marginal this year, and his trade value is a "low spot" right now. I don' think he would get either the Twins or Cardinals haul that you mentioned above. .238, 13 HR, and 85 K's in 237 AB's. Yes, he has been hurt, etc, etc. Just saying his value isn't as high now as it was pre-season this year.

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Even if his injury history rubs some shine off Giancarlo is merely 23 and already a premium talent at the MLB level. His age 22 season was incredible even after missing almost 40 games. Teams are gonna have to come strong for Stanton and I'm not sure how many even possess the talent to put together an attractive package.

Don't think the Mariners have enough horses for all the reasons Kyle pointed out. But the Marlins would be foolish not to use the Mariners vetoed deal for Upton as a baseline for negotiations.

cubfanbudman

Apr 16, 2012
Cubs have the talent needed to get him with Baez, Soler, Almora, Bryant, Johnson, Vogelbach, Amaya, Alcantara, and others, but it's not gonna happen

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Are you guys overvaluing Stanton at this point? He has been downright marginal this year, and his trade value is a "low spot" right now. I don' think he would get either the Twins or Cardinals haul that you mentioned above. .238, 13 HR, and 85 K's in 237 AB's. Yes, he has been hurt, etc, etc. Just saying his value isn't as high now as it was pre-season this year.

Well, when you have the Sunday league softball players batting in front and behind him, there will be no production from LTP. If the Marlins didn't think they were getting a treasure trove in return, they'd simply hang onto him.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Well, when you have the Sunday league softball players batting in front and behind him, there will be no production from LTP. If the Marlins didn't think they were getting a treasure trove in return, they'd simply hang onto him.

He'll need at least some time to adjust to being in a better, or even normal, situation.

The bad part is that having seasons like this, no matter why or for what reasons, won't help his legacy. Plus if he's having injuries now, he'll only have more as he gets older.

This is a thread to revisit this time next year as he clearly has talent enough to overcome obstacles in front of him.

Members online