Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I'm hearing a rumor...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hoopster3977

Jun 22, 2010
Upper Peninsula
Gellman said:
Its too bad that this will probably end up being Panini. Upper Deck's baseball products were always the yin to Topps' yang. Topps gets the low end, Upper Deck the mid to high end.

All panini brings to this situation is a bunch of over-foiled products that are stocked full of stickers, junk jersey cards, and terrible design work.

Leaf would be better than Panini at this point.
You have been thanked for such an excellent post. I agree with you completely.

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
I would be interested in a nice retired player set but not so much if its from Panini. Blah designs and sticker autos don't do much for me.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
smapdi said:
Panini's the obvious choice, but looking at those restrictions...bleah. Only retired players? No current players, no prospects? I like HOFer-focused sets as much as the next guy, and Fan Favorites was fun, and the odd Decade-style set can be fun, but if that's all they get to make, maybe they wouldn't want to.
you're kidding right? do you know how many collectors on this site would shove their own mother in traffic for this type of product?

notjomommasclint said:
panini has done some awesome stuff with their releases. i would love to see an exquisite type set for the retired... if its anyone else... not really excited or interested.
Exquisite is a UD product. They probably don't have a shot, but UD would easily make the best cards out of any mfg available.

Gellman - 100% correct about the foil and clear stickers

and finally.....holy **** a crowhop sighting!!!

hoopster3977

Jun 22, 2010
Upper Peninsula
Panini produces such a crap product. Sticker auto's, foil cards that peel in a few years, and mislead the buyers with there insertion ratio's. And the company will not stand behind their statements.

Now if it was DLP, I would be receptive on this move. Just eliminate Panini from the equation.

Panini has killed the basketball market in cards, football is the next to be destroyed with the garbage products they produce.

Just my $.02.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
There's enough product as is.

If this rumor is true, I'm assuming Topps themselves could still bid for it.

EDIT: Six additional products of retired players on top of what Topps already puts out PLUS unlicensed/semi-licensed stuff = glut.

chashawk said:
notjomommasclint said:
panini has done some awesome stuff with their releases. i would love to see an exquisite type set for the retired... if its anyone else... not really excited or interested.
Exquisite is a UD product. They probably don't have a shot, but UD would easily make the best cards out of any mfg available.

i need to slow down when i type :) i would like to see either panini or ud get it. the panini releases in football have been awesome and i would love to see a "ticket to cooperstown" set much like the rookie tickets this year. or have ud do it and make an exquisite set! anyone else besides those two and i am not excited or interested... unless its sportsflicks!

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
A new Sportflics set would be AWESOME!! :lol:

My question is... if Leaf got it, could they make a Certified set? Or does that belong to Panini with the purchase of Donruss? Does Leaf own the rights (or whatever) on any of the old Donruss sets?

From what I've seen of Panini's basketball cards, I'm not that excited. I would like to see some new Rickeys, but would prefer them to be nice. Something I would actually want to purchase. I think it would be best if ITG got it. Their cards would be awesome if they had pictures of the players and some logos.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
RL24 said:
A new Sportflics set would be AWESOME!! :lol:

My question is... if Leaf got it, could they make a Certified set? Or does that belong to Panini with the purchase of Donruss? Does Leaf own the rights (or whatever) on any of the old Donruss sets?

From what I've seen of Panini's basketball cards, I'm not that excited. I would like to see some new Rickeys, but would prefer them to be nice. Something I would actually want to purchase. I think it would be best if ITG got it. Their cards would be awesome if they had pictures of the players and some logos.

Panini and it would look like Football and Hockey

!B-Bn4cw!mk~$(KGrHqJ,!igEzNzELq57BM7dLvBFGQ~~0_3.jpg

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
We spoke to MLBP and they deny this is the case. They could be holding back info, but head of licensing denies this.

Bg

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
2 things to add:

1. Flipped through some Panini Football today. Crap.

2. I hope it is only 2 releases. I hope it leads to ultra comprehensive checklists.

Mr.Whipple

Banned
Apr 19, 2009
Joisey
Leaf said:
We spoke to MLBP and they deny this is the case. They could be holding back info, but head of licensing denies this.

Bg

Cant say I blame them to hold back the info on this, Release it at time thats day(s) before product release. To prevent you and UD from trying to get in on the action. Not downing your products, Actually like your interaction with collectors. Cant wait to see the Ali prouct when its out. Or they're trying to iron out the wrinkles on Eisners face from not being the exclusive anymore. I can hope for Prime Cuts, absolute and leaf cert as does a million other collectors. Retired only product is what made Sp Cuts a major hit, Adding current players killed it.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
With Topps owning the rights to many of the truly "legendary" players, would it be worthwhile to even go after a "legends" market?

Any sort of "Greats" product without guys like Ruth, Cobb, Mantle, etc. would kind of be a joke.

What we need is a product licensed by CMG and the Hall of Fame and then let MLBP make a run at those two for the sublicensing. That could get interesting.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts