Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I'm not a sexist....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
I remember when Ila Borders played for the Duluth-Superior Dukes (when they were in the same independent league as the St. Paul Saints, when they had Darryl, Millar & a little later on, J.D. Drew). She was adequate but got destroyed since her fastball was batting practice style.

Or Manon Rehamone (Tampa Bay Goalie). I remember her cards being on fire, but she never amounted to a hill of beans.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I remember when Ila Borders played for the Duluth-Superior Dukes (when they were in the same independent league as the St. Paul Saints, when they had Darryl, Millar & a little later on, J.D. Drew). She was adequate but got destroyed since her fastball was batting practice style.

Or Manon Rehamone (Tampa Bay Goalie). I remember her cards being on fire, but she never amounted to a hill of beans.

Got a Borders Madison Black Wolf game used jersey in a closet somewhere

brian26

Nov 12, 2010
But have u seen the commercial that asks where will u be when the first woman plays in the majors? Is there any chance any woman would ever play professional sports with men? I know a woman tried for the NBA many, many years ago but I just don't see any woman being able to play MLB or another pro level sport with men. I do not believe women are inferior, I'm not a woman hating man, I just don't think physically it's possible.

No chance, and you're not a sexist. The same thought crossed my mind when I saw that as well. Not going to happen.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
But have u seen the commercial that asks where will u be when the first woman plays in the majors? Is there any chance any woman would ever play professional sports with men? I know a woman tried for the NBA many, many years ago but I just don't see any woman being able to play MLB or another pro level sport with men. I do not believe women are inferior, I'm not a woman hating man, I just don't think physically it's possible.

My question is why does it look like she's pitching to a 65 year old Bill Cosby lookalike?

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Wow. So far the responses in this thread sound like the white writers of the 1930's describing the supposed "physical deficiencies" of African Americans to be able to play in the majors.

If women were encouraged from a young age to play baseball and not softball, and grew up playing in little leagues, traveling leagues and high school teams like their male counterparts, we'd see some talented athletes capable at playing in the high minors and majors. It's a matter of access to training, coaching and repetitive play capable of producing the necessary skill level and muscle memory. A woman could certainly do it. Pitching would probably be the easiest route, but I don't think it's the only one.

The biggest hurdle probably won't be physical, but rather the prevailing attitudes and prejudices of "old boy" management up and down the system.

jandkstuff

Aug 27, 2013
Mesa, AZ
Why don't they just make a woman's league like in a League of their own? Baseball is baseball and is fun to watch assuming it's being played properly and professionally. If they are doing it right, it will have the fans. Play the games during the MLB's offseason. It would be fun to watch the female superstars shine, and perhaps they would put their skills against the men.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
Wow. So far the responses in this thread sound like the white writers of the 1930's describing the supposed "physical deficiencies" of African Americans to be able to play in the majors.

If women were encouraged from a young age to play baseball and not softball, and grew up playing in little leagues, traveling leagues and high school teams like their male counterparts, we'd see some talented athletes capable at playing in the high minors and majors. It's a matter of access to training, coaching and repetitive play capable of producing the necessary skill level and muscle memory. A woman could certainly do it. Pitching would probably be the easiest route, but I don't think it's the only one.

The biggest hurdle probably won't be physical, but rather the prevailing attitudes and prejudices of "old boy" management up and down the system.

My daughter hated softball, she loves baseball and may have tried it if given the chance to play against other girls. I think the baseball world and media would embrace a talented female baseball player. There would be a media frenzy, they'd be throwing reality show offers at her, etc.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
Why don't they just make a woman's league like in a League of their own? Baseball is baseball and is fun to watch assuming it's being played properly and professionally. If they are doing it right, it will have the fans. Play the games during the MLB's offseason. It would be fun to watch the female superstars shine, and perhaps they would put their skills against the men.

I don't think it would be that different than watching a high school baseball game.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia

Sounds exactly like what they do with the WNBA and no one watches it.......

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
I bet women golfers can go toe-to-toe with men. Would be interesting to see the top pros all play from the same tees. Certainly course length would come into play.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I bet women golfers can go toe-to-toe with men. Would be interesting to see the top pros all play from the same tees. Certainly course length would come into play.

Toe - Toe with what ranked players ? I doubt the Top 5 females can crack the top 100 in golf playing on the courses the PGA uses now.

Ryan

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
Chelsea Baker is the latest knuckleballing girl - but I watched Ilya Borders pitch against my college men's baseball team, and if there is ever a woman who does make it, she would have to be super thick-skinned and mentally tough to handle it. The guys on my college baseball team were emphatic that a girl wasn't going to get the best of them and had lots of derogatory remarks to make at her. I was thoroughly disgusted.

http://www.si.com/mlb/2015/02/17/chelsea-baker-tampa-bay-howard-megdal

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Sounds exactly like what they do with the WNBA and no one watches it.......

but think if you could put some butts in the seats in stadiums in warm weather or domed stadium locales in the winter and make a little bit of money rather than the stadium facility wasting away in the winter.

Surprised that hasn't occurred to a group of MLB owners to get their stadiums producing some revenue and profit in the offseason.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Does anyone remember this movie?

31_midi.jpg

Looks like Sam went back in time to portray a former super model who wanted to become a football player only to face ridicule by people who thought she would fail.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Last edited: