Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Introducing the "Garvey a day" thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Day #4. I am back to work after a holiday break, so the dedication needs to shine through now to keep this going daily...

That McLoone & Siegel Sports Card book is a real flashback item. My elementary school library had a copy and I checked it out continuously around 5th grade when I first really went crazy for cards, but I don't think I've seen or thought about it since. What a trip. The Flipping, Trading & Bubble Gum book is an alltime classic for me, too.

sjm76

Feb 27, 2020
That is NOT a good price. The highest I have seen lately on ebay is $300 range, with many still selling in the high $200s. A far cry from the $50-60 I wanted to pay, but oh well...

Good thing I decided not to buy it anyway, then. I saw a PSA 7 Garvey RC sitting there on eBay for $175 right now and I was thinking about buying it but in the end decided against it as well mainly because mail delivery for items I've won and items I'm selling still seems to be horrible though it's a week after the New Year now. Who knows when I would get it.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I have plenty of Topps Vault stuff, but want to try to be a little different as I go. I'll come back to some of that soon though.

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Day #3 2005 Past time Pennants

This might cause you to make a new post= but wasn't there a Garvey auto that gave you some trouble from that Pasttime series if I remember correctly ?? One that exists but was difficult to get ? This ring a bell ??

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
This might cause you to make a new post= but wasn't there a Garvey auto that gave you some trouble from that Pasttime series if I remember correctly ?? One that exists but was difficult to get ? This ring a bell ??
Honestly not sure. A lot of the brand names sort of started to blend together, much like the Panini/National Treasure stuff is doing now. I will roll out some cards as we go. I much prefer the oddball items over the cards, but I have a lot of cards that could make for interesting posts too.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Good stuff mate, keep it coming. Those patches were pretty well done. If you'd have shown me say the Tiant patch without the name, I would have said "hey that's Luis Tiant".

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Day #11

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Day #14

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
A beach towel!?! Garvey was a bit before my time, his MVP year being the year I was born. I always knew he was an incredibly popular player, but from this thread I'm gathering he was a lot more famous than I ever realized.

Day #12

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
First loving the dedication !! I know how much work it is to scan and post stories- keep up the hard work !! I appreciate these posts !!

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
@banjar Garvey was extremely popular during his prime and into his later years he was pretty much considered a lock for the HOF. He was always discussed with the likes of other greats from the same era, like Rose, Schmidt, Carter, Brett, Carew, etc. His career tailed off near the end and he missed all the big "lock" milestones, plus he started showing up in scandalous situations frequently, mostly regarding women and children. Once considered a future politician, that went out the window fast.

He still remains a very popular Dodger and because of his role with the team in 1984, a pretty popular Padre as well. A borderline HOF candidate with many votes on either side of that coin, he has so far been snubbed.

@jeffv96masters Regarding the daily entries, I want to commit to this. Not only for the fun of it, and maybe allow someone to discover something they didn't know existed and may want themselves, but also to help push me to get this stuff a little better organized. Obviously if something happens or if life really starts to get in the way, I may miss a few days, but my goal is to not miss any. Think of the NL Consecutive Games played steak, held by none other than Mr. Steve Garvey. I only really need to hit 365 days myself!

I have been writing the blog and then posting to 4 different sites i like to frequent. However, that is becoming a little tedious. Anyone could bookmark the blog itself and check out the updates of course, but the only reason I was doing it there was because of all the hassles of posting images on each site. I may drop the daily posts on some of the other sites, but the blog itself will continue to update.

Day #15

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Day #16

Members online