Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

IP autograph different than card releases

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
The card and the ball seem pretty dang close. And yeah, I'll bet he got tired of signing for topps. That was probably his millionth auto of the day with all their parallels and whatnot!

I got the card and ball signed at the same time but all of the pack pulls and purchases from topps and paninni are consistant with the Tribute card above.

Sent from my DROID4 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
I see many players in low "A" sign IP before games and I will compare to issued autos and most are identical or close due to conditions . Of 25 players on local team very few have issued cards at this time so an auto on something now will be different when a card issued

Last edited:

jrinne

Sep 25, 2008
Do tell....

Topps just sends a box of cards to their home. A friend of mines little brother played in the majors and signed cards for both Topps and Upper Deck. He said he got the cards, signed them and sent them back. A few weeks later he received a check from both companies for signing them.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
This my Frazier signed IP at a cubs vs. Reds game. The cars I sent to him TTM looks similar to it as well

Attachments

• 1374414163210.jpg
    1374414163210.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 35

Johnny G

Sep 29, 2008
Jersey Shore
I've had same thing happen on a ball with Billy Wagner. I met him at Mets spring training and he signed a ball. It looks like it read "Pepsi" and no where near his cards autos. Probably the item.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Topps always has a representative present at signings.

doubt it. If it were true, I think they could get a lot more athletes to sign and wouldn't have to send out so many replacements.

as to OP, I bet it's some cards were signed or stickers inked earlier in his career that are ending up on newer releases today and your ball was signed recently after his sig has changed. You can see sig changes are very common for MLB veterans - just compare the first Bowman contract sigs to their current day sigs!

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Ran into a fellow collector that bought one of those 2013 Opening Day game used home plates that were used for 1/2 inning and replaced all game long. He had all the Reds players that played that day sigs on it except 2, Votto and Frazier. Frazier's sig looks like the one I had gotten on the ball and card, the guy that bought the home plate was furious because he was expecting the sig to be the same as on his cards too.

Guess the sig can change but when does it make it to PSA that its changed?

Im not a graded card or sig guy but this other guy was going to have his home plate PSA'd and then mounted in a frame.

Fordman

Sent from my DROID4 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

brianga26

Aug 7, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Then there Jackie Bradley Jr. If you ask him to give the full signature.. its amazing. If he is signing quickly its J scribble B scribble J scribble..

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Topps used to be stringent on having a rep there. I actually went and sat with Orlando Cepeda, Steve Garvey, and Chris Chambliss while they signed for topps in (2002). Of course, this was back before they used stickers at all. I was under the impression that, just as with stickers, they changed to the lack of a rep witness as a big money saver. I could be wrong. Does anyone have a Topps auto card from the last three years stating that all cards are witnessed? I would be surprised.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Topps used to be stringent on having a rep there. I actually went and sat with Orlando Cepeda, Steve Garvey, and Chris Chambliss while they signed for topps in (2002). Of course, this was back before they used stickers at all. I was under the impression that, just as with stickers, they changed to the lack of a rep witness as a big money saver. I could be wrong. Does anyone have a Topps auto card from the last three years stating that all cards are witnessed? I would be surprised.

Current ones do state that but not on bowman stuff apparently. At least from what I see on eBay and what I personally have. But, oddly enough, on the bowman football stuff it does state they were witnessed. Just not on the baseball bowman stuff. My thing is, how the hell would we know one way or the other? How could we prove it? You really can't. And I'd have to think these players would want to do this at their leisure. Maybe while watching some television or something. Not being forced to sit down and do it.

Also, I have heard before that they were having trouble getting stickers returned after people called about the redemptions and were offered replacements. So, would that not mean the stickers were in the athletes' possession.

craftysouthpaw

Jan 8, 2010
I've got Frazier several times IP and they all looked like the Tribute card. Seems like he has updated his signature - for the better IMO. That ball looks really good.

His early certified autos looked different than both of these. Check out his 2007 Tristar for example.

Members online