Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is it just me...National related

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gonzaleznut

Aug 9, 2010
Texas
I love the National. It is the last bastion of times long gone by of going to a packed convention center filled with cards and dealers.

What I can't seem to wrap my head around is how much it is for the autographs!! I think the lineup is stellar. They have a great mix of local, good and HOFer players, but come on...the prices are really insane!! Who pays $50 for a Fergie Jenkins or Gaylord Perry when you can pick them up for less than $10 on ebay? I guess it is good if you are wanting a specific item signed, but still...

Are they selling out of tickets for each person signing? I can't imagine that they are. Here is the list of people signing and their prices.

http://www.tristarproductions.com/National/tickets.html

I would love to hear any rational explanation as to how this is a good deal...

JackLondon

Aug 23, 2008
California
You are also paying for the opportunity to meet the player in person. May be a little steep, but I can understand those who would rather pay $50 to meet Fergie and get an item signed in front of you, than pay $10 for a random signature online.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
You are also paying for the opportunity to meet the player in person. May be a little steep, but I can understand those who would rather pay $50 to meet Fergie and get an item signed in front of you, than pay $10 for a random signature online.

agreed but a lot of times they move the line along like theyre herding cattle. so you dont really get a chance to do anything other than see them and say hello before youre being pushed along.

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008
And if you want photos it is an additional fee!
I think the photo opp for Manning and Elway is $300 isn't it?
Last year, Tristar did an auto photo op for TNA wrestling stars that was a great deal, but they screwed up the execution of it really terribly. For $100 you got the box of cards, and autos and photos of Flair, Angle, Mr. Anderson, and some female wrestler. Didn't see that this year.

JackLondon

Aug 23, 2008
California
agreed but a lot of times they move the line along like theyre herding cattle. so you dont really get a chance to do anything other than see them and say hello before youre being pushed along.

Yep, I have seen that many times, too. Once in awhile, the player stages a bit of a coup and tries to spend a little extra time with the customers, but more often than not, the situation you describe is the norm.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Yea, you're paying for the opportunity to essentially meet the star and see it auto'ed in person, etc. Some of the prices are high but such is life...

What I find interesting is reading what some peoples wishes are when it comes to signings... this one from Rickey Henderson was interesting... "NOTE: Rickey will not sign any size or type of base including home plate". Does anyone know why Rickey won't sign these? Just because?

aarne13

Oct 15, 2008
The Permian Basin
Yea, you're paying for the opportunity to essentially meet the star and see it auto'ed in person, etc. Some of the prices are high but such is life...

What I find interesting is reading what some peoples wishes are when it comes to signings... this one from Rickey Henderson was interesting... "NOTE: Rickey will not sign any size or type of base including home plate". Does anyone know why Rickey won't sign these? Just because?
Maybe to stop some db from saying that it is one of the bases that Rickey stole?

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008

I'm guessing because he is a D-Bag

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I'm guessing there is a rational reason for it, and that goldenegg1 is bitter because if you split Rickey in half you get two HOFers, and a whole Andre Dawson isn't even one single true HOFer? I dunno... If you google Andre Dawson these days, most of the articles are about how he doesn't deserve to be one, I guess I'd be pretty bitter too... Go Cubs!

:lol:

Gonzaleznut

Aug 9, 2010
Texas
Come on man...that's not cool. I'm not saying it isn't true, but it isn't cool.

I'm guessing there is a rational reason for it, and that goldenegg1 is bitter because if you split Rickey in half you get two HOFers, and a whole Andre Dawson isn't even one single true HOFer? I dunno... If you google Andre Dawson these days, most of the articles are about how he doesn't deserve to be one, I guess I'd be pretty bitter too... Go Cubs!

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008

That was funny, Dawson deserves to be there just as much as Rickey. And your "facts" about the articles aren't quite accurate, but that's ok.
You can't tell me that Rickey is not a D-Bag. I understand you have to stand up for your guy, but anyone who refers to themselves in the 3rd person is a dbag, plain and simple.

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
I'm guessing he doesn't sign bases because he has an exclusive contract with some promoter, etc.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008

I saw those to but the one that got me was Robin Younts Wishes : NOTE: Robin will not inscribe "The Kid" or "Rockin' Robin" ??

Maybe Hive Knows why. I dont think either of those are offensive in anyway.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
Also Im not sure of Rickeys Attitude (Only what Ive heard) as I havent meet him myself but Andre Dawson deserves to be a Hall of famer. Not on the same Level as Rickey (Not many in the hall are) but a deserving hofer no less.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
A couple of things from personal experience:

* Herding cattle is a great way to describe the autograph procedure at the national. Only exception was the non-athlete signers. When I was there, you could've talked to them for a while because a line was virutally non-existent for most of them. However, when in line for athletes, I, as with most, would rarely get more than a "hi", "thanks for being a fan", "how ya doin" or what was a grunt from most of the athletes. The exception to this would be if you had a hot girlfriend. Then, they'll talk for a while.

* I've read online multiple times that Willie Mays wouldnt even allow people to come to his booth and chat, but would have a middle man take the item you wanted signed to Willie directly, then have the guy bring it back to you. Never dealt with Willie myself, but there was a large thread about that here a while ago.

*I've met Fergie Jenkins multiple times at local shows here (he lives in Anthem). Sometimes he was polite and cordial, sometimes he wouldnt say a word.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
A couple of things from personal experience:

* Herding cattle is a great way to describe the autograph procedure at the national. Only exception was the non-athlete signers. When I was there, you could've talked to them for a while because a line was virutally non-existent for most of them. However, when in line for athletes, I, as with most, would rarely get more than a "hi", "thanks for being a fan", "how ya doin" or what was a grunt from most of the athletes. The exception to this would be if you had a hot girlfriend. Then, they'll talk for a while.

* I've read online multiple times that Willie Mays wouldnt even allow people to come to his booth and chat, but would have a middle man take the item you wanted signed to Willie directly, then have the guy bring it back to you. Never dealt with Willie myself, but there was a large thread about that here a while ago.

*I've met Fergie Jenkins multiple times at local shows here (he lives in Anthem). Sometimes he was polite and cordial, sometimes he wouldnt say a word.

:lol: The Bolded doesnt just happen with just signings but pretty much every where you go :lol: I know what you mean though.