Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is this topps being incredibly amazingly lazy (for twins fans)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Someone on Beckett posted that this year's bowman Mauer pictures him hitting in the metrodome, which closed in 2009.

I can't seem to post a pic here but readily available on eBay. It looks like he's in the dome.

Can it actually be??

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
Someone on Beckett posted that this year's bowman Mauer pictures him hitting in the metrodome, which closed in 2009. I can't seem to post a pic here but readily available on eBay. It looks like he's in the dome. Can it actually be??
Would you even be in the card business without Topps?

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Just because you love topps doesn't mean you always have to agree with them when they do wrong.

I obviously don't care for them (baseball side) but when they do right, I'll praise them.

Did you read my topps praise post this week?

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2010
$_57.JPG

Sure enough. Joe's in his home whites. Clearly the photo was taken looking toward the third-base side. Twins dugout at the Dome was third-base side (now first-base side at Target Field).

Edit:
43763e_lg.jpg
You can even see the Metrodome commemorative patch on his right sleeve.

Last edited:

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
Just because you love topps doesn't mean you always have to agree with them when they do wrong.

I obviously don't care for them (baseball side) but when they do right, I'll praise them.

Did you read my topps praise post this week?

I just asked a simple question Mike, would your business survive without Topps?

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
I just asked a simple question Mike, would your business survive without Topps?

Since most of sales are baseball related, My business wouldn't survive without topps just as it wouldn't survive without customers.

Sadly, topps being exclusive and all their $50+ packs etc are driving away current and future customers.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
I don't really see how it's a big deal. The same photo year after year or across sets is more annoying than this.

Using the same photo is more annoying for sure.

I was just checking out Daniel Norris stuff and the auto used in chrome, platinum etc is a Photoshop of his aflac.

But it is weird they wouldn't catch it's a photo from FIVE years ago for mauer.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
Since most of sales are baseball related, My business wouldn't survive without topps just as it wouldn't survive without customers.

Sadly, topps being exclusive and all their $50+ packs etc are driving away current and future customers

So you bash Topps because your customers, or former customers, can't afford the products they make. We're dealing in a shrinking customer base Mike, sportscard collectors are dropping like flies from the hobby. Blame it on who you want, but it isn't Topps' fault. And you're not gonna make a living selling 5-10 low yield packs, your guys'll get tired of them too.

From one one dealer to another Mike, stop bashing the hand that feeds you and expand your repertoire, baseball sales are not going to make you a living alone my friend.

Is is your shop a full-time deal for you? Your sole source of income?

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
So you bash Topps because your customers, or former customers, can't afford the products they make. We're dealing in a shrinking customer base Mike, sportscard collectors are dropping like flies from the hobby. Blame it on who you want, but it isn't Topps' fault. And you're not gonna make a living selling 5-10 low yield packs, your guys'll get tired of them too.

From one one dealer to another Mike, stop bashing the hand that feeds you and expand your repertoire, baseball sales are not going to make you a living alone my friend.

As a customer, it appears Topps cares less and less about you owners. Topps makes its nut in retail, seems intent on squeezing low-income customers out of hobby, and does a bad job with customer service. Saying anyone should be thankful to Topps is like a ****** thanking a pimp.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Wouldn't deter me from wanting it if a Mauer fan, but that is tacky on Topps' part to use a photo that old.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
So you bash Topps because your customers, or former customers, can't afford the products they make....... (Using caps briefly to easily differentiate, not yelling) EXACTLY! I'M NOT ALONE HERE, AND IT MAKES ABSOLUTELY ZERO SENSE TO HAVE ALMOST HALF YOUR PRODUCTS AUTOMATICALLY KNOCK OUT TONS OF YOUR CUSTOMERS.

We're dealing in a shrinking customer base Mike, sportscard collectors are dropping like flies from the hobby.........AGAIN, EXACTLY! SO WHY IS TOPPS MAKING IT HARDER TO BRING IN NEW COLLECTORS? Here it is, straight from topps on their"mission" when they got the license: By making the deal, MLB is expressing optimism in Topps' ability to appeal to a new generation of young collectors under the watch of Michael Eisner, the former president of the Angels, who acquired the cardmaker in 2007.

"Generations of baseball fans have grown more connected to the game through collecting baseball cards," Commissioner Bud Selig said. "We look forward to partnering with Topps to restore baseball cards as the game's premier collectable."

Eisner hailed the deal with MLB, earlier telling The New York Times, "This is redirecting the entire category toward kids. Topps has been making cards for 60 years, the last 30 in a nonexclusive world that has caused confusion to the kid who walks into a ... hobby store. It's also been difficult to promote cards as unique and original.

"We're going to be very aggressive in letting retailers, kids and hobbyists know that we are the card that represents it all."

......"It's a business that's critically important to our mission, to make players icons to kids."..... SO I ASK AGAIN, READING THE ABOVE, HOW DO THEY EXPECT TO DO THIS WITH $50-$500 PACKS OF CARDS? And all these crazy packs don't have a retail version so they won't show up at target, wal mart, etc. The ideal place to introduce or re introduce collectors.........

All-star continues:
Blame it on who you want, but it isn't Topps' fault. And you're not gonna make a living selling 5-10 low yield packs, your guys'll get tired of them too..........NOPE INCORRECT. they get tired, fed up with these packs yielding drew Stubbs and Skaggs type autos and kelvim Escobar jerseys. It is topps' AND mlb fault. Exclusives don't work PERIOD.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009

"new collectors" are not coming my friend (at least not in greater numbers than those dropping out of the hobby), no matter what MLB or Topps does. Kids? Try taking a kid today, one that has Playstation, Xbox and an iPhone, and get him interested in baseball cards. Good luck with that.

KnuckleballNation

Dec 2, 2012
This is why old wax pack boxes found in the dusty shelves of off the beaten path flea markets and old antique stores will always be my friends.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts