Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I've never even heard of these so called big name players in bowman draft.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Welcome to the boards.

I think that there's an aspect of prospecting that has not been mentioned yet. Sure it's always fun to make some money, but it is more than that. There's something really cool about "discovering" a player when he is in the low minors (or not yet drafted) and following his career as it develops in the early stages. It's a player who is just beginning to learn the ropes, and the successes and failures are more dramatic. Often the player is not yet jaded by the money and fame, and is also very personable and approachable. They may sign autographs at games (minor league games, which are far cheaper to attend than MLB ones.) It's a different kind of collecting but many find is as much or more fun than just building a PC even if they do hope to sell should the player ever really jump in price. (Obviously the level of following that is above is not typical of every prospector, but the idea of following a young guy, rooting for him and seeing him develop is IMO.)

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
I love going to milb games. I like going to Kane County Cougars games to see the best Midwest league prospects play. Pay $12, sit right on the dugout. It was great seeing Javier Baez play (that's how I got the pic for my av) and guy like Sano, Rosario and Zimmer play last season.

Now that the Cubs are the Kane County A affiliate next season, it'll be even better watching guys like Vogelbach, Soler, Candelario and Almora play.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
I was excited opening my three boxes of 2012 BDP until I realized I didn't know who these guys in the base prospect set were...thinking about it in recent years, I realize many of the players in draft are guys drafted in the middle to late rounds, meaning these guys will probably play a season or two in the minors and fall off the face of the earth.

Still, actual prospects are cool and there are probably handfuls in Bowman Draft that may become All-Stars or something.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Whenever one of these threads comes up, I'm interested in the way people take it so personally. I mean no offense, but when someone says,"I've never heard of these players," they seem to come off feeling threatened or angry. Adding in "so-called big name" seems to be belittling the players. No, they haven't done anything noteworthy yet, in terms of major league ball, or perhaps even professional baseball. The guys on BDP cards are mostly between 17 and 25 years old, so of course they haven't. And if you haven't heard of them, it's not their fault, or the fault of other collectors, or the card companies. Amateur and low-level pro ball is simply an area of human knowledge that you haven't delved into. No need to belittle other collectors for their excitement.

Yes, people can quite happily collect cards of guys who never make the majors, just as they collect all sorts of other things. There's the prospectors who think the guy will become a huge star and that card they buy today for $1 will be worth $2 or $10 in a week or 5 years. A 19-year-old pitcher who throws 101 and kills it in AA and gets promoted to AAA is hot stuff, and his cards will jump, and he still might never make the majors. A prospector might shrewdly sell on that initial leap because he doesn't like the guy's mechanics, and he might see that the manager on the major league club has a bad history with young pitchers, so taking that profit is acceptable compared to waiting for him to blow out a socket or get "converted" to middle relief in the majors. But maybe he's from their hometown, or plays for their local minor league team, or went to their alma mater, or has the same last name, or a particular ethnicity or nationality, or they saw him at a minor league game, where players are much more accessible, and they just had a good experience and so feel a connection. None of those things have anything to do with whether that guy plays a day in a major league uniform, and are all perfectly valid reasons for spending money on their cards, if a reason is necessary.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I'm sure people that bought "dress up" cards of Jeff Francoeur, Chris Davis, Clay Buchholz, Jay Bruce, Sam Fuld, Pablo Sandoval, Jack Cust, Garrett Jones, Shelley Duncan, Jonathan Sanchez, Jose Altuve, Darin Ruf, Jason Heyward, Starlin Castro, Mike Trout, Ryan Braun, Andrew McCutchen, Jacoby Ellsbury, Justin Masterson, Jurickson Profar, Manny Machado, Joey Votto, Chris Coghlan, Mike Moustakas, Elvis Andrus, Rick Porcello, Matt Moore, Mike Napoli, David Freese, Evan Longoria, Jair Jurrjens, Mike Aviles, Grady Sizemore, Troy Tulowitzki, Prince Fielder, Chris B. Young, Mark Reynolds, Jose Bautista, Matt Kemp, R.A. Dickey, Clayton Kershaw, David Price, Buster Posey, Tim Lincecum, Matt Cain, Justin Verlander, Jonathan Papelbon, Nick Markakis, Ryan Zimmerman, Josh Johnson, Allen Craig, Alex Presley, Felix Hernandez, Freddie Freeman, Madison Bumgarner, Sean Doolittle have all been happy if they sold at the right time.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I'm sure people that bought "dress up" cards of Jeff Francoeur, Chris Davis, Clay Buchholz, Jay Bruce, Sam Fuld, Pablo Sandoval, Jack Cust, Garrett Jones, Shelley Duncan, Jonathan Sanchez, Jose Altuve, Darin Ruf, Jason Heyward, Starlin Castro, Mike Trout, Ryan Braun, Andrew McCutchen, Jacoby Ellsbury, Justin Masterson, Jurickson Profar, Manny Machado, Joey Votto, Chris Coghlan, Mike Moustakas, Elvis Andrus, Rick Porcello, Matt Moore, Mike Napoli, David Freese, Evan Longoria, Jair Jurrjens, Mike Aviles, Grady Sizemore, Troy Tulowitzki, Prince Fielder, Chris B. Young, Mark Reynolds, Jose Bautista, Matt Kemp, R.A. Dickey, Clayton Kershaw, David Price, Buster Posey, Tim Lincecum, Matt Cain, Justin Verlander, Jonathan Papelbon, Nick Markakis, Ryan Zimmerman, Josh Johnson, Allen Craig, Alex Presley, Felix Hernandez, Freddie Freeman, Madison Bumgarner, Sean Doolittle have all been happy if they sold at the right time.

Right but that goes back to it being a money making product more than anything else when it comes out. Don't get me wrong, I've gone after the guys from Texas in every release Bowman or otherwise: Purke, Rendon, Beavan, Ahrens, Rupp, Wacha, Drabek, Evarts, Kazmir, etc.. But it is a niche product and when it first comes out, the money side is far stronger than the collecting side. That's why, if you collect like me, all you can do is worry about the guys you want to snag and let everyone else do their own thing.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008

The cards of these guys should be equally desirable if they WERE'NT dressed up, dressing them up is a huge disservice to the MiLB.

Actually in many cases the dressing up turns out to be awful - do people really want a card of Josh Hamilton as a Tampa Bay Ray? If it isn't important that Hamilton is in a Rays uni... then neither should showing him in his real MiLB uni.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
The cards of these guys should be equally desirable if they WERE'NT dressed up, dressing them up is a huge disservice to the MiLB.

Actually in many cases the dressing up turns out to be awful - do people really want a card of Josh Hamilton as a Tampa Bay Ray? If it isn't important that Hamilton is in a Rays uni... then neither should showing him in his real MiLB uni.

Broken_record2.jpeg

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
You seem to have a strong opinion here about unis and licensing you're unwilling to adequately articulate... are you ashamed of MiLB players wearing MiLB unis?? If not why should MiLB unis matter?

Actually, my opinion relates strictly to repetitiveness on your part as pertains to unis. Pretty sure I could dig up dozens of your posts that say the exact same thing in different ways.

Actually, my opinion relates strictly to repetitiveness on your part as pertains to unis. Pretty sure I could dig up dozens of your posts that say the exact same thing in different ways.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
It's so fun watching uniquebaseballcards struggle with common sense.

Hang in there, buddy! Someday you'll get off the short bus for good!

Zambrano38

Aug 11, 2008

Agreed. I've heard this argument so many times, and it's gotten really annoying. As for me, I like following minor league players careers on the way to the majors and if you want to start collecting someone then the earlier the better because it's cheaper, and you won't miss out on any important cards.

TwinGnats

May 25, 2010
Fridley, MN
If collectors are going after prospects that creates a lesser demand on the cards that the OP wants to collect and thus makes the cards he wants cheaper. I'm curious as to why he is not thanking those who go after prospects.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
You seem to have a strong opinion here about unis and licensing you're unwilling to adequately articulate... are you ashamed of MiLB players wearing MiLB unis?? If not why should MiLB unis matter?

Yes! Very true! Its because its an issue, that people, yourself included here, are unable to address.

Its why you decided not to directly address it again here, its why you're trying to be funny instead.

Frankly its an issue that shouldn't bother anyone... unless they can't figure out how to address it for themselves.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Yes! Very true! Its because its an issue, that people, yourself included here, are unable to address.

Its why you decided not to directly address it again here, its why you're trying to be funny instead.

Frankly its an issue that shouldn't bother anyone... unless they can't figure out how to address it for themselves.

Or perhaps its why I could honestly care less about this issue? You're the one covering it like a blanket, as though it's the most important topic in this entire hobby.

As long as a product has a solid reputation behind it and sells well, I could give two XXXXs which uniform the players are depicted in.

There - I addressed it. Now you can sleep at night.

You should try being funny every so often - maybe it would help to detract from your "unique" reputation on these boards to find the wrong in everything.

Have fun - if you're even capable.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Personally, I have little interest in prospecting but I can definitely see the attraction. I commend collectors who research who to buy and follow the players long before anyone else "knows who they are".

I'll be chasing some Draft cards for my Blue Jays project, and it'll be neat to see where these players go in years to come.

What I can't understand though is how much people are willing to pay for these cards. How high do people expect their values to go? Seems like a huge gamble to pay four-figure dollars for them.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com.

Members online

Latest posts