Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I've never noticed something like this before: Mark Kotsay's final AB.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
Mark Kotsay mentioned a few weeks ago that he was retiring at the end of the season.

After striking out against SF's Barry Zito to end the top half of the 8th inning of the final game of the season, Kotsay laid his bat, helmet, and batting gloves on home plate and walked back to the dugout. He was replaced on defense for the bottom of the 8th.

Was that some sort of symbolic thing he did, or is that standard for a player to drop his gear at home plate and make the bat-boy carry it back to the dugout, even if he's heading to the dugout himself?

Last edited:

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
I honestly thought he retired years ago

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

heavy_hitter

Jun 26, 2009
Farewell.

98_kotsay_17of25.jpg

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Another reason I will weep tonight. Loved him from Fullerton til his last AB. :'(

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Was that some sort of symbolic thing he did, or is that standard for a player to drop his gear at home plate and make the bat-boy carry it back to the dugout, even if he's heading to the dugout himself?

usually done to show anger or disagreement with the umpire about striking out.

In Kotsay's case, more likely done on purpose, not at anger towards the ump for striking out and disagreeing about it.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
When wrestlers retire they leave their shoes on the mat when their last match is done. If you watch the Olympics you see it every games.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
A lot of players that make the 3rd out will lay all their equipment at home and start walking to their position and a fielder next to them will "pick them up" by bringing their hat and glove to them.

The wrestler reference is more than likely the case here.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
It's a good thing he didn't get a hit, or, God forbid, scored. Wouldn't have quite the symbolism if he did it at 2nd base, or in the dugout.

Members online

Latest posts