Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Jay Bruce traded to the Phillies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
ESPN - Former All-Star outfielder Jay Bruce says he has been traded to Philadelphia by the Seattle Mariners.

Details of the other players involved have not been released yet.

Bruce is expected to fill the void left when Philadelphia outfielder Odubel Herrera was placed on administrative leave by the commissioner's office Tuesday under the sport's domestic violence policy after his arrest in Atlantic City, New Jersey.

Bruce is owed $8,317,204 this year from his $13 million salary and has a $13 million salary in 2020 -- the remainder of a three-year contract he signed with the New York Mets in January 2018. The Mets remain responsible for the second $1.5 million installment of his $3 million signing bonus, a payment due Jan. 31, 2020.

The 32-year-old Bruce is hitting .212 with 14 homers and 28 RBIs. He has struck out 53 times in 165 at-bats.

"I figured this would be the situation," Bruce told reporters. "It's bittersweet. I really like the group of guys here. I got to know some of them and had great relationships. It's part of the business, though. I get to go somewhere I have a chance to win, and at this point in my career, that's pretty paramount for me."

Bruce's last hit with Seattle was memorable: his 300th career home run on Friday against the Los Angeles Angels.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
M's expected take is 3B prospect Scheiner.

He's in High A. Was #23 on pre-season Phil's prospect list.
list.

Lot of folks around here love it. I'm VERY skeptical...

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Why? Cuz of Scheiner or Bruce?

Bruce. I know nothing about Scheiner.

I just see Bruce as an expensive PHer. He'll play more in OF with Herrera out and Williams hitting .200 but at this point, I think he's just one of those guys whose hitting won't improve back to what it had been earlier.

Obviously, he hits more HRs than Williams but other than that, their stats are the same.

Phils need pitchers SO much more.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Well, they have an immediate need for a LH bat with one of their starters out, and Bruce is who they could get. As anemic as Herrera's bat has been, and definitely Williams's, Bruce is likely an upgrade for overall production depending where he slots into the lineup.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
Bruce. I know nothing about Scheiner.

I just see Bruce as an expensive PHer. He'll play more in OF with Herrera out and Williams hitting .200 but at this point, I think he's just one of those guys whose hitting won't improve back to what it had been earlier.

Obviously, he hits more HRs than Williams but other than that, their stats are the same.

Phils need pitchers SO much more.

The phillies are barely paying any of the salary...2.75 million over the year and a half.

This is a no risk move for he phillies for a marginal prospect...at best.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
The phillies are barely paying any of the salary...2.75 million over the year and a half.

This is a no risk move for he phillies for a marginal prospect...at best.

It's not the risk that bugs me. It just strikes me as a lateral move for a team trending up and younger. Give Williams a shot. Worse case, he shows he can't handle bigs, move Kingery out there or even Gosselin and fill in behind him...

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Well, they have an immediate need for a LH bat with one of their starters out, and Bruce is who they could get. As anemic as Herrera's bat has been, and definitely Williams's, Bruce is likely an upgrade for overall production depending where he slots into the lineup.

2 HRs, 1 double and 6 RBIs tonite. So far...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts