Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

John Smoltz lets Braves know he is signing with Redsox

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
darocker80 said:
Imagine if you had masterson-7th inning, 8th inning smoltz, 9 papelbon with okajima able to go 2-3 innings when someone gets shelled.
Wow, even without Delcarmen that bullpen is sick!!

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
scotty21690 said:
darocker80 said:
Imagine if you had masterson-7th inning, 8th inning smoltz, 9 papelbon with okajima able to go 2-3 innings when someone gets shelled.
who?

did you watch mlb network on tv tooday? They talked about tim lincecum and his motion :p

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
darocker80 said:
scotty21690 said:
darocker80 said:
who?

did you watch mlb network on tv tooday? They talked about tim lincecum and his motion :p
He's solid in the bullpen

And nope, sounds interesting. I bet you liked it. :) What did they say?

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
scotty21690 said:
darocker80 said:
scotty21690 said:
darocker80 said:
who?

He's solid in the bullpen

And nope, sounds interesting. I bet you liked it. :) What did they say?
al leiter explained why he is such a beast and why he won't get hurt, and kept on talking about how young he is/looks and youngest to win cy since zito and roger clemens and is amazing and better than matt laporta.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
darocker80 said:
al leiter explained why he is such a beast and why he won't get hurt, and kept on talking about how young he is/looks and youngest to win cy since zito and roger clemens and is amazing and better than matt laporta.

Finally another long lost LaPorta reference...and a well placed one at that.

Seriously.

HYPE

Jan 7, 2009
JERSEY
i think it would be cool to see smoltz leave.. lol.. (mets fan) anyways.. i hate the yankees.. all the talent in the world.. cant do squat with it.

the mets need help though... we are screwed for pitchers

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
tonyrios said:
LLWesMan said:
Reds in 2009 said:
scotty21690 said:
Can you say: Best/deepest rotation in the league?! I can.. ;)

Not if the Cubs get Jake Peavy.

He would fit right in as another pitcher who hasn't gotten it done in the playoffs.

Or gotten to the playoffs? Give him a chance first!

Bostons Beckett, Lester, and Matsuzaka folds over to Sabathia, **** and Burnett. For real.

One of the pitchers you named on the Yankees has a ring, and that was because Josh Beckett was MVP of that playoffs against the Yankees. Oh he also didn't play at all that Season due to TJ. Sabathia is why the Red Sox won the WS in 2007, and **** hasn't been on a team that has won at all.

Thanks for trying though.

KC37

Aug 7, 2008
Massachusetts
wideright said:
Smoltzy to the SOX!?!?!?! That is cool :cool: I'm liking that pickup. Penny? Not so much.

I'm very happy with Smoltz, and I figure Penny can't be any worse than Matt Clement as a signing, and he's much cheaper. I think they are both great gambles, even though they both won't pan out (at least neither of them will go Colon on them).

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
beefycheddar said:
tonyrios said:
LLWesMan said:
Reds in 2009 said:
scotty21690 said:
Can you say: Best/deepest rotation in the league?! I can.. ;)

He would fit right in as another pitcher who hasn't gotten it done in the playoffs.

Bostons Beckett, Lester, and Matsuzaka folds over to Sabathia, **** and Burnett. For real.

One of the pitchers you named on the Yankees has a ring, and that was because Josh Beckett was MVP of that playoffs against the Yankees. Oh he also didn't play at all that Season due to TJ. Sabathia is why the Red Sox won the WS in 2007, and **** hasn't been on a team that has won at all.

I think people forget just how good Jon Lester is. He is REALLY REALLY REALLY good. Forget contracts and age, I seriously doubt the Red Sox would trade Lester for Sabathia straight up.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Tomlinson21RB said:
beefycheddar said:
tonyrios said:
LLWesMan said:
Reds in 2009 said:
[quote="scotty21690":2ar9g5xk]Can you say: Best/deepest rotation in the league?! I can.. ;)

I think people forget just how good Jon Lester is. He is REALLY REALLY REALLY good. Forget contracts and age, I seriously doubt the Red Sox would trade Lester for Sabathia straight up.[/quote:2ar9g5xk]

Lester was the Sox best pitcher all last season.

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
...do they now sign Tom Glavine too?? ;)

Actually I think Smoltz has more in left than Glavine. Always interesting when a pitcher comes to AL from NL. Look at Beckett's 1st year w/ Sox.

Penno

Sep 5, 2008
Oxford, AL
That'll teach me to drive 6 hours and miss a final to see a guy get his 3000 strikeout. To think that I believed him when he said he wanted to retire a Braves and that was the main reason I made the trip. Have fun with the extra $2-3 million.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
Penno said:
That'll teach me to drive 6 hours and miss a final to see a guy get his 3000 strikeout. To think that I believed him when he said he wanted to retire a Braves and that was the main reason I made the trip. Have fun with the extra $2-3 million.

I wouldn't think of it as him being a traitor or anything like that. Atlanta doesn't look like they'll be playing for a title this year, and he wants one more chance to go out on top.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
Penno said:

that's not fair blake

Smoltz is still a brave, and he will always be a brave.

Just remember Murphy

Penno

Sep 5, 2008
Oxford, AL
Tomlinson21RB said:
Penno said:

I wouldn't think of it as him being a traitor or anything like that. Atlanta doesn't look like they'll be playing for a title this year, and he wants one more chance to go out on top.

I would never label him as a traitor, but he doesn't hold the same level as he used to. He had many chances to split and never left. For that, I'm thankful.

I never had any dreams of the Braves making any kind of playoff run. The assumption was it would be the Smoltz/Glavine farewell tour. That had me excited to come to the ball park this year. Maybe I just need to re-visit this thread after a few classes.

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
And here I was hoping that if he wasn't going to resign with the Braves that he would sign with the Tigers, his original organization.

Alex

Members online