Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Juan Soto Rejects $440M Offer from the Nats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL

Per Ken Rosenthal. They're now entertaining trades, so expect the Nats' farm system to get a WHOLE lot better.

He would have become the highest paid player in baseball. Friggin' Boras strikes again.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
The Dodgers seem to be a likely landing place with a stacked farm to make it happen.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I don't need that from a signature collection perspective. Already still need to wait out a price drop in Mookie Betts, who is priced WAY higher than he should be now in my opinion. He seems to have a supply issue on his side. Someone needs to get that guy to sigh more cards!

It's funny how at the salaries have risen into crazytown, so have the signatures. Back when it was first common to find pack pulled signatures, guys like Mantle and Williams were only a couple hundred. The biggest established stars were affordable. At some point, I'd expect the who sports entertainment market to crash, but it probably won't. We are suckers who keep feeding this escalation.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I mean, A-Rod had that huge contact, $300M over 10 years but with the opt-out after 5, something like that. And he did opt out and resigned for a higher average per year. They seem to want to do that but without that pesky middle step.

Dodgerfan74

Oct 6, 2008
The Nationals will trade him for prospects and controllable major league ready young players. He will stay with that club until his contract ends (2yr plus)., so basically a rental. Borass will have him become a free agent and get probably the largest contract ever. There is no way he will sign an extension with the club who trades for him. Whoever trades for him will have to be willing to give up a lot of young talent, which effects their farm system. ("Giving Up the Farm"). Whatever team who signs him is going to be a playoff team who needs a bat to make a run at the world series.

gitarst182

Sep 17, 2011
Washington
I see the greed point of view but I also know I wouldn't want to be tied to the Nationals long term. How long until they're on the top of their division again? It took the Angels awhile after giving Mike Trout all that money to have a good/decent team. I'd be holding out too until a contender offered me some money. I would take less to be on a team that has more potential.

Dodgerfan74

Oct 6, 2008
The Nationals are supposed to be sold soon, so that's a reason why they wouldn't sign Soto and dump/and or trade contracts+Trea & Scherzer last year. This year Victor Robles and Soto

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
He won't be an unrestricted free agent until 2025. 2 and a half years from now. I truly hope he does not get hurt. If he does, he will be the poster boy for greed and stupidly. Scot Boris is a true moron. If I were him I would say, where do I sign. Also, when is a team going to start to insist on a you suck opt-out clause with these big contracts.

Dodgerfan74

Oct 6, 2008
Ohtani's contract ends after 2023. It will be interesting to see what he does. I'm not sure who his agent is. Ohtani's going to get a crazy contract, because he's a two-way player doing incredible things on a lousy team.

gitarst182

Sep 17, 2011
Washington
Ohtani's contract ends after 2023. It will be interesting to see what he does. I'm not sure who his agent is. Ohtani's going to get a crazy contract, because he's a two-way player doing incredible things on a lousy team.
Can the Angels even afford him with the amount of money they are paying Trout? How many huge contracts (aside from the Dodgers) can one team handle?

Dodgerfan74

Oct 6, 2008
I doubt the Angels can afford him. The Soto contract and Ohtani contract coming up is going to effect Baseball negatively. Manfred is a horrible commissioner who doesn't know how to promote Baseball. He wants to expand Baseball by 2 teams SMH. The A's and Rays don't even have a decent place to play and he wants more teams.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
I don't blame him for turning it down at all. I wouldn't sign a long term contract with a team about to be sold either. I wouldn't want to get stuck with owners like the Marlins have or Bob Nutting from the Pirates and just have to deal with it for the rest of my career.

It's also pretty well below market for a 23 year old superstar.

Members online