Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Late 80's and early 90's STAR COMPANY- What do you know?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
I tried to search for old threads, but "star" is a pretty popular word...

So, PLAYER COLLECTORS, what do you know about the late 80's and early 90's Star Company cards? 10 years ago I hated them, thought they were no better than Broders; cheap knockoffs. Since, I realize they are at least a little legitimate, even though they aren't on my "Official" Gwynn checklist. I have picked up a few sets here and there (Boosting the numbers 10 at a time! :D )...

I still don't know much about them, though. What do you guys think? Do any of you try to pick them up for your player?

tunahead

May 17, 2009
Austin,TX
I've got quite a few of the Ripken sets and promos, around 10 different of each. Most of them I bought back in 1995 when I didn't really know any better, and probably paid way too much ::facepalm::

bodiaz

Jan 19, 2009
I picked up one of the Bonds sets. I wouldn't pay alot for anything from Star. I bought a Jordan rookie Star 1984 for $2000 about 10 years ago from a reputable dealer had I know had the card since the mid 80s. I sent it to a grading company, and they sent it bak likely not authentic. I took it back to the shop, and got a refund. The store owner was pissed and said he knows it is authentic because he bought it from a Star employee. To much confusion on what is real and what is fake, so stay away from high $ stuff.

Jul 30, 2009
Ive never heard anything fishy about Star Baseball sets but just keep in mind that the OWNER OF THE COMPANY printed conterfeit cards featuring Jordan, etc. and claimed he "found them" in the warehouse (said they were rookie year MJ's, Ewing's, etc). He sold them to our friends at SAH where our best friend Don West sold them to unsuspecting collectors.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Have a ton of them. They seem more legit than Broder's to me. I guess with multiple years, known print runs, and adhering to a pretty standard look, they gain some legitimacy with me. The promo cards are unique, being issued every so many sets (like 1 in 10 or 1 in 20). I've always wanted to know more about the autographed sets. It was Grace's first auto card.

Here's my Star Company page, with over 70 Grace cards:
http://www.markgrace.com/museum/starcards.html

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
star galore is a great link.. he has most of the sets and promo's for many players. His prices are absolutely absurd for unlicensed cards so I use his site as a reference for what I still need of my guy. funny thing is whenever promos I need pop up on Ebay that he has with some crap grading company he uses.. he bids on them to either drive the price up or wins them to add for sale on his own site.

STAR MONOPOLY would have been a better name for his site IMO.

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY
I don't think they were unlicensed because the Griffey's I use to have had the MLB logos on the backs of the cards. I submitted several to PSA for grading (PSA supposedly does not grade unlicensed cards).

88s1.jpg

88s2.jpg

88s3.jpg

89s1.jpg

89s2.jpg

89s3.jpg

89s4.jpg

89s5.jpg

89s6.jpg

89s7.jpg

89s8.jpg

1st4040 said:
star galore is a great link.. he has most of the sets and promo's for many players. His prices are absolutely absurd for unlicensed cards so I use his site as a reference for what I still need of my guy. funny thing is whenever promos I need pop up on Ebay that he has with some crap grading company he uses.. he bids on them to either drive the price up or wins them to add for sale on his own site.

STAR MONOPOLY would have been a better name for his site IMO.

these are the only i have...plus the rest of the set they came with. \
McGwireStar.jpg

i31.jpg

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
star actually got licensing briefly for the base set in I believe 1988.. all the knockoff NOVA, HOME RUN, GOLD, SILVER, PLATINUM, etc never got licensed.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
I love the Star Sets. I still need quite a few of the promos and some of the glossy sets. Some of the promos have been a real pain to find. And of course, expensive. Clark fans DEFINITELY love Star Sets/Promos or I'd have a lot more of them.

Members online