Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Leaf's Mystery Redemption in Metal IS Johnny Manziel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
BG sold out Metal and Valiant way before today "The Annoucement Day" no one going in bought this product for the redemption, it is just an added bonus at 1 in 5 cases.

Ichiro, Pujols, Manziel, Redemptions where you get up to 5 cards - Brian is always doing something different or adding extra value in some sort of way and in cases like this, it's a bit riskier.

All that said, innovation is something so badly needed in the card market. If there's a guilty party for so many Manziel sigs being on the market, it's Johnny not Leaf.

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008
This isn't a leaf issue man. Manziel has been on the take since his fame started and hasn't even tried to hide it. This is all about the bad choices made by that kid.

Come on Gilmo, this has everything to do with Leaf!
You think Manziel came to BG with this great idea?
BG was looking for anyway to make a buck at any expense.
He is using this as a way to promote the brand. You know he is just hoping that mainstream media catches onto this.
I'm all for innovation, but this is just plain dumb. And I tend to agree that this was completely oversold when these redemptions hit.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
He is using this as a way to promote the brand. You know he is just hoping that mainstream media catches onto this.
I'm all for innovation, but this is just plain dumb. And I tend to agree that this was completely oversold when these redemptions hit.

I dont think bg has talked to manziel at all. I think and others have reported that he bought a bunch of cuts at a show.

mstng99tim

Apr 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I dont think bg has talked to manziel at all. I think and others have reported that he bought a bunch of cuts at a show.

So who told Manziel to make sure his auto is only about 2" wide while signing the 8x10's so that they could be cut and placed into a card?

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008

Finding a way to get the first freshman Heisman winner and a QB at that into people's hands is just plain dumb? You can debate the legality of it but these selling for $300-$400 on the market indicates this was just not plain dumb.

I mean, all the autos on the market are shady for sure (but again, not a Leaf issue outside of your speculation)

cards01fan

Sep 4, 2008
Without A&M there is no Mr Football

I would say Manziel worked out pretty good in that deal.

Who is to say that it wasn't the training he received at Texas A&M that made him able to do what he did?

I was joking/ be sarcastic. Hence the lol 😄

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008
Finding a way to get the first freshman Heisman winner and a QB at that into people's hands is just plain dumb? You can debate the legality of it but these selling for $300-$400 on the market indicates this was just not plain dumb.

I mean, all the autos on the market are shady for sure (but again, not a Leaf issue outside of your speculation)

Yeah you guys are right, Leaf did nothing wrong here, it was all Manziel.
BG is brilliant and great for the Hobby with his many innovations in the card business!
Keep giving the free passes out to Leaf and BG.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Yeah you guys are right, Leaf did nothing wrong here, it was all Manziel.
BG is brilliant and great for the Hobby with his many innovations in the card business!
Keep giving the free passes out to Leaf and BG.

Maybe we just don't have the same hangups as you. I for one am only concerned about the product offered to consumers. I don't really care how he gets the signatures as long as they are authentic.

ljw29

Feb 3, 2010
Is anybody else besides me NOT excited about these cards? IMO, I think that since the Leaf headquarters are in Texas that Leaf is used to hearing about Manziel quite frequently on the TV and on the radio. Me, I couldn't care less about these cards, they don't get me excited.

I think they're FAR from being "the most talked about and exciting cards of the 21st century" and "too big for the industry to handle" as Leaf claims they are.

I think now and currently it is a big deal as he just won the Heisman and Sportscenter is hyping him up. But next year if he gets injured they go 7-6 to 8-5 and he is figured out people will be picking these up at $20-50 at best. The hype was greater than the actual product, but we all know it would be Manziel.

Would have been more interesting to have seen him get a true legend a HOF that has few cards or an owner set that featured the top 3 players from that team.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
This isn't a leaf issue man. Manziel has been on the take since his fame started and hasn't even tried to hide it. This is all about the bad choices made by that kid.

Would you say that if he played for Alabama? I have seen your QB pimping himself and his GF as well.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Would you say that if he played for Alabama? I have seen your QB pimping himself and his GF as well.

AJ Mccarron does not have an estimated 20,000 items on the open market. If he had anything close to that I would probably be saying it was foul as well. I don't let my fandom get in the way of anything objective, do you?

And the thing about his girlfriend is ridiculous, what she does is her own business.

hockeyfights

Mar 4, 2011
Georgia
I'm assuming the same people criticizing Leaf for "profiting off an unsuspecting college athlete", must be constantly criticizing the NCAA and their respective schools for profiting off the player, their likeness, and their merchandise.

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008
I'm assuming the same people criticizing Leaf for "profiting off an unsuspecting college athlete", must be constantly criticizing the NCAA and their respective schools for profiting off the player, their likeness, and their merchandise.

Big difference.
The colleges are also giving these kids free rides to college, according to this, Leaf has given nothing to Manziel, therefore he is profiting off an unsuspecting kid.

kerryfan5

Sep 17, 2012
Ohio thourgh Dickinson, N.D.
So topps paying a few hundred bucks to a few thousand for auto chromed cards isn't profiting from there deals? Go leaf. Make some money it is America.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Freedom Card Board mobile app

tikitomoka

Jul 27, 2009
Mccarron's not courtside at laker games and driving around a Mercedes on espn. Manziel's not doing anything different than pretty much any other big time college football player, he's just a helluva lot less subtle about it

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
Would have been more interesting to have seen him get a true legend a HOF that has few cards or an owner set that featured the top 3 players from that team.

Really? This is a Draft Picks set. While Manziel isn't exactly a DP, he fits the bill for such a set way better than any HOF or current star. Obviously Leaf does what it has to to use the loopholes available to it, and I think the art on these cards is mediocre at best, but getting Manziel into the set is a clever move. Of course these cards will fade into obscurity like any other unlicensed cards always do once his *real* cards pop, but guys that buy Leaf/Press Pass/Sage don't seem to mind.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts