Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Leaf's Mystery Redemption in Metal IS Johnny Manziel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
Exactly.

Hypothetical future situation:
Manufacturer: Sign these 1000 autographs for $100 ea.
PLayer: I can't get paid for autographs.
Manufacturer: That's okay. Sign these "cut" autographs. Then sue me. Then we'll settle. For $100k.
Player: Okay.

My question is, what are Manzeil's damages if he does sue? Did he profit under the Johnny Football t-shirt deal? He's not allowed under NCAA law to profit by his autograph . . . someone with more NCAA knowledge than I would have to chime in.

There is plenty of case law supporting our position. And no, the above hypothetical is not the case.
Cannot comment further.
BG

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
There is plenty of case law supporting our position. And no, the above hypothetical is not the case.
Cannot comment further.
BG

I'm not at all saying it is. I'm not saying that you did that. Or insininuated that. Or had any contact with him. I doubt you did have any contact with him at all. I think you did exactly what you said - bought his pix on the open market and commissioned artwork (Tempy Moore would have been great!).

All I'm saying is that this opens the door to the above hypothetical situation I mentioned. Not that you are involvd.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
First of all, having the defending Heisman winner in your product is huge. Though Manziel being confirmed is not a surprise to anyone, I think it does live up to the hype promoting the mystery redemption.

While the cards look nice, I do have one thing I would have changed. Rather than cram his name and "authentic" line below the artwork, I would have put the "authentic" line at the bottom of the card to fill in that dead space and to make it a little less cluttered up top.

Other than that, I don't have a single negative thing to say. Well done, Leaf.

Mbwana

Mar 7, 2013
Exactly.

Manufacturer: That's okay. Sign these "cut" autographs. Then sue me. Then we'll settle. For $100k.

My question is, what are Manzeil's damages if he does sue? Did he profit under the Johnny Football t-shirt deal? He's not allowed under NCAA law to profit by his autograph . . . someone with more NCAA knowledge than I would have to chime in.

The initial furor over the NCAA statement about players keeping money won through legal action was followed by clarification.

NCAA closes Johnny Manziel amateurism rules loophole - College Football - Andy Staples - SI.com

As Leaf implied above, working out a "deal" isn't as do-able as the panic media would make it out to be.

Also, my understanding of "keeping money from legal action" is that it's not limited to player-related merchandise. If a player is struck by a car while riding a bike, slips in a puddle of water at Wal-Mart, or sues a landlord for withholding his security deposit and won any of those cases, NCAA should not have the authority to deny that player possession of those damages. "Legal action" would cover any type of suit which has enough merit to end in a judgement in favor of the player. And that is how it should be. CFB players should not be second class citizens in the eyes of state or federal law simply because the NCAA demands it.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
At least this is a redemption that has already been produced. Topps, Panini, UD, are you listening ?

Props to Brian.

Brad

Aug 23, 2008
The part that surprises me is that they were allowed to use his name. I know NCAA makes people blur out the names on jerseys used in advertisements. Then again they can put names on the front of magazines, so I guess this is similar.

Nice work by Brian bringing something new to the market.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Exactly.

OTL -- NCAA investigating Johnny Manziel for profiting from autographs - ESPN

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
Maybe OTL can figure out who in the world inscribed those Cierre Wood autographs in Trinity.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
Maybe OTL can figure out who in the world inscribed those Cierre Wood autographs in Trinity.
Cierre has told us he will be recording a video for us stating that he signed and inscribed each and every card.... We are awaiting receipt of this video... BG

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
Cierre has told us he will be recording a video for us stating that he signed and inscribed each and every card.... We are awaiting receipt of this video... BG

Looking forward to seeing it. Did he give you any timetable?

mstng99tim

Apr 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm sorry, but I still call BS. Unless he has a bi-polar writing style, there's no way he did those inscriptions.

He could say he's an astrophysicist in a video, that doesn't mean it's true.

Members online

Latest posts