Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Letter writing 2009 BDP and 2009 EEE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
blanning71 said:
Skrip, I understand what you are saying. Yes it is amazing how the voice of a chosen few can change the views of the hobby on these boards.

JP, I don't think it was a slap in your face. I think, check it, I KNOW you have influence over many folks on here whether you choose to believe it or not. Hell, when I first came to the old BMB, I quickly found out about you and your niche within the hobby and how many people listen to your thoughts and ideas. You are one of the few people that actually do a fair amount of research on the minor leaguers and prospects that come and go. And its this passion that makes me feel comfortable in listening to the discussions on here and taking a shot every now and then for that lanky so-so outfielder for the Pirates, or that lefty fireballer for the Cardinals.

I for one think its great that we've got people so knowledgeable about certain aspects of the hobby on these boards and THAT ARE WILLING to share some of that knowledge to us. Otherwise, I'd be a driveling idiot, aimlessly walking the hobby landscape.

Ummmmm....where did I say I considered it to be a slap in the face? I definitely did not feel that way at all.

Thanks for the compliment, though. I've certainly had my fair share of losses while prospecting, so I hope you keep that in mind.

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
Dear Topps,

I have been anticipating this release for months now. I have even prepared my lair, ok-actually my mom and dad's basement, waiting for that magical moment when I can finally run my hands into that cardboard box filled with styrofoam packing peanuts and pull out a factory fresh hobby box of 2009 Bowman Draft. ooooooh I just get chills thinking about it as its so close. Or maybe because I'm sitting here in my Duckman boxers and wifebeater tanktop I haven't changed in three weeks. I'm ready though. I've been training too. You see, I'm a prospector.......I've got the system down. I crack, stack, and let ebay take up my slack! I roll these cards out faster than Willie Nelson can rolll..........umm nevermind......I'll save that for another day. But anyways, I've been practicing my pack opening skills all summer. I started with the now defunct 09 Bowman product that you put out, yeah I am ragging on ya a bit, but YOU GUYS know that I love you and that you really made BDP for me and me alone so all the other stuff you put out is simply for training purposes. So lets hear what happened today, the day that changed my life, FOREVER.

8:00AM--get up, look at my daily report on ebay sales for "my guy"
8:15AM--eat some generic pop tarts and bobo brand drink for breakfast. A chromie's gotta keep his figure AND money in his wallet so he can just buy "one more" in hopes of landing that super hit
8:30AM--pay homage to the hobby by perusing the hotsheets aka daily threads on various website message boards. Man that PJ guy can really give some great knowledge over on the freecardboard site.
12:00PM--lunch break! I get my mom.....cough cough......I mean my head chef/servant.....to make me a very professional well rounded meal. SLOPPY JOES!!!!!!!
12:45PM--I heard about a cardshow at the local mall this afternoon. I'm gettin ready to go. I gotta get my mom......cough cough.....chauffeur to take me there.
2:00PM--man you gotta see the haul from the show! I got several boxes of Bowman, and Bowman Chrome and I murdered the tables and picked up some HUGE steals! I gotta break out my laser encoded, retina scanning, replicator(professional talk for a scanner) to put these up on the intranetz
2:40PM--image replication has completed. I am now getting ready to break my boxes of 09 Bowman. I open these to increase my speed in opening packs. There is nothing good in it so I'm not worried about missing hits. When I'm done, I'm gonna use the 09 BC for accuracy as there are some nice hits in that product. That Hanson kid has made me some great money. I use this product to sharpen my skills in picking out cards worthy of grading. I've got 793 graded copies of the Hanson auto, thats only 10 more than the number of copies of the CD from the band Hanson. Man, I am ready to mmmmBop on over to my desk to check my emails
4:50PM--I am done breaking wax. I never knew my hands were such lethal instruments. I am liquid smooth now Topps! You hear me! I am ready for BDP! BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5:00PM--Oh man, I think I'm getting sick. I saw a box break and a posting of the final checklist of the BDP for this year. What in the world? I am so mad! How could you insert additional autos in the product and not tell ME about it beforehand? And where did some of the Chrome Prospect autos go? Why did you change them? Thats not right! I was so looking forward to having a gold refractor of my guy pop out of a box when it arrives at my house! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Damnit Topps, you are quickly trying to test my patience. What do you want me to do? Go back to my Star Wars collection? I mean the Wookie female is kinda sexy but not as sexy as the wrappers sprawled all over the concrete floor in my card-cave!
9:00PM--man I gotta get to bed. I am beside myself. This is utter crap. How could you do this to me Topps? I am heartbroken. I have slept with unopened boxes and packs, letting the possibilities of hitting a superfractor or major card dance through my head like a sugarplum. Oh well, perhaps this is all a big dream and when I wake up tomorrow, the checklist will be great, the cards will be here, and all will be well in the card kingdom.
9:30PM--I was almost asleep when I forgot I hadnt had my Jello Puddin Pop for the day. Mmmmmm......so good........I can't wait for BDP.
9:40PM--Goodnight world. BDP, I'm coming for you!

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
Jaypers said:
blanning71 said:
Skrip, I understand what you are saying. Yes it is amazing how the voice of a chosen few can change the views of the hobby on these boards.

JP, I don't think it was a slap in your face. I think, check it, I KNOW you have influence over many folks on here whether you choose to believe it or not. Hell, when I first came to the old BMB, I quickly found out about you and your niche within the hobby and how many people listen to your thoughts and ideas. You are one of the few people that actually do a fair amount of research on the minor leaguers and prospects that come and go. And its this passion that makes me feel comfortable in listening to the discussions on here and taking a shot every now and then for that lanky so-so outfielder for the Pirates, or that lefty fireballer for the Cardinals.

I for one think its great that we've got people so knowledgeable about certain aspects of the hobby on these boards and THAT ARE WILLING to share some of that knowledge to us. Otherwise, I'd be a driveling idiot, aimlessly walking the hobby landscape.

Ummmmm....where did I say I considered it to be a slap in the face? I definitely did not feel that way at all.

Thanks for the compliment, though. I've certainly had my fair share of losses while prospecting, so I hope you keep that in mind.

No no, I meant it as I hope you didn't take it as a shot at you. We do understand that you have had losses but it seems that we hear about your successes far more than the bad experiences. And there are many folks on here that take notes as to what you and several others have to say about certain young stars and prospects.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
blanning71 said:
Jaypers said:
blanning71 said:

No no, I meant it as I hope you didn't take it as a shot at you. We do understand that you have had losses but it seems that we hear about your successes far more than the bad experiences. And there are many folks on here that take notes as to what you and several others have to say about certain young stars and prospects.

Actually, I've deliberately been refraining from posting specific instances of both successes and losses on these boards for quite some time now. To the best of my knowledge, anyway.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
Dear Topps,

We are truly regretful to hear about your loss. Your once great product has now become merely a shadow of it's previous self. We would like to thank you for once bringing such great joy to prospectors around the world, eagerly anticipating this time of the year as fervently as the holiday season itself. My thoughts and prayers go out to you, and I feel that you will one day be able to overcome this tragedy and be instilled with an even greater inner strength for the future.

My sympathies,

brouthercard

P.S.- where's my Chris Lubanski redemption? I've been waiting for it since 2004!!!! :evil:

koal

Aug 7, 2008
dear topps,

suck it. i wont buy your base card crap because sure as sht, you will make an auto of them in 2010. way to bite the hand that feeds you.

the end

brianga26

Aug 7, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Not bashing the product without seeing it, just seeing the things I do, I am not that big of fan so far. That being said, maybe I will pick up an auto here and there, but I am not rushing out to bust a box or three. .

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Dear Topps,

The card business for you is just that a business. Sometimes myself and others lose sight of the fact that you have to design products to actually make money. This business has grown in agents eyes more over the last few years than it really should have, and that is something that you can't change. No one will be happy with you because if you included everything they wanted and a license the prices of the product would double at least.

Thanks,
Rob
PS: I hate Scott Boras too.

Crash Davis

Aug 19, 2008
THANK YOU BEEFYCHEDDAR!

Seriously, one of the best posts I've read ever on FCB.

Everybody plays armchair quarterback with respect to checklists and player content and price points; but they are calling the shots with 20/20 hindsight.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Crash Davis said:
THANK YOU BEEFYCHEDDAR!

Everybody plays armchair quarterback with respect to checklists and player content and price points; but they are calling the shots with 20/20 hindsight.

I have actually sat and talked with players and heard what their agents tell them about the money they can expect due to what Razor paid their other clients. One year is not going to change those kind of expectations, add to this the fact that Panini has a LOT of money to throw around that they are not giving to MLBP to use their logos. We probably won't see a Bowman set like past years ever again, the autographs to be profitable need to be spread over Bowman products. The hobby has evolved, but as a business to a company like Topps it has to stay the same. Spend a certain amount and expect to profit at least a certain amount.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
beefycheddar said:
Crash Davis said:
THANK YOU BEEFYCHEDDAR!

I have actually sat and talked with players and heard what their agents tell them about the money they can expect due to what Razor paid their other clients. One year is not going to change those kind of expectations, add to this the fact that Panini has a LOT of money to throw around that they are not giving to MLBP to use their logos. We probably won't see a Bowman set like past years ever again, the autographs to be profitable need to be spread over Bowman products. The hobby has evolved, but as a business to a company like Topps it has to stay the same. Spend a certain amount and expect to profit at least a certain amount.

I wonder how much they are profiting? Looking at the odds from 2006 Draft to 2009 Draft, it seems like production is way way down.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
masonphillip said:
beefycheddar said:
Crash Davis said:
THANK YOU BEEFYCHEDDAR!

I wonder how much they are profiting? Looking at the odds from 2006 Draft to 2009 Draft, it seems like production is way way down.

Probably not a ton, but spending the money on Strasburg, Ackley, and more would make it tougher to and also give them nothing they could put inj the future when they need to see Bowman and Bowman Chrome.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
brianga26 said:
Beefy, for the record.. Scott BORASS is the bane of our hobby.. Hate that guy

Manny would have retired on the Red Sox if not for him. Although if his kid played on my Cape Team and it helped us get players, I would not only kiss his ass, but have him take a picture with Lil' Papi.

Also, I was slightly unfair to him, the players I knew who had their agents/advisors(Ha ha) give them figures that they got for other clients were not repped/advised(ha ha) by Boras.

Members online

Latest posts