Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Lost Item On eBay. New Trick/Scam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
So I was high bidder on a jersey all week. Last night i get a notification that I was outbid. No problem I go to the item to raise my bid. I'm high bidder. So I check my email. Bid had been cancelled. Today I was still high bidder and lost at the last second. I should have raised my bid but I forgot. I can't help but think the wrong amount was intentionally entered so the bid could be cancelled and my bid amount would be exposed. Same guy that bid/retracted won jersey.

Dpendola

Apr 16, 2013
This happened to me as well, my bid was cancelled for some reason and I lost the auction at the last second. It was a high end item that had no bids on it until I bid. There was only one other bid besides my first one...I smell a scam.

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
Let me clear it up a little. Not seller related. Another buyer. He bids huge amount, intentional or not, obviously not the correct amount. Item goes to current bid. He then retracts and knows what the current bid is. Waits until last second then outbid me.

byronscott4ever

Dec 3, 2009
I've seen people retract their bid when someone else retracts theirs but I guess it doesn't matter unless they change their top bid

CollectorsCorner

Super Moderator
Feb 13, 2009
I was the seller on one of these recently second guy bid it up by $1 increments got the lead and retracted. I deleted his bids and blocked him. I don't play those games. Cost me about $15 on the sale but I didn't care

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
SNIPE or you will always leave yourself exposed to shenanigans.
This.
I just don't understand why many collectors don't snipe. It protects you from the crap other bidders pull, you can set it and forget it while you do other things, and Gixen is free and has never failed me.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
totally agree on snipe.

The ONLY reason to bid early well before snipe time is to kill a BIN.

byronscott4ever

Dec 3, 2009
I've seen some auctions where the minimum is bid just for what I think is to make sure the seller knows is interest in the item and so that someone doesn't make an offer on a BINless item

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Agree completely with the sniping position and with logging in a single minimal bid to either kill the BIN and/or to show interest in an item. Tossing out a bid also shows you there is no issues with the seller. Sometimes sellers block buyers for some reason and knowing that early allows you to make other arrangements, like having a buddy buy it for you. Still, I have had sellers cancel my bids when I was the only bidder, presumably because they didn't think the price would go higher (to protect their investment against a 1 bid steal) and I have had gixen fail me numerous different times. Nothing is foolproof, but sniping is the best defense against odd bidding habits and tricks like what was described. If I were to get bid up front and then have my bid outdone followed by a retraction, I'd probably retract my bid as well, then bid a different amount later or snipe it.

if the item is incredibly important, i'd suggest back up snipe program and/or a manual bid as well.

Members online