Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

McGwire Card Values Post-Admission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Codasco07

Aug 7, 2008
DC/StL
Can any McGwire collector confirm that is the first 9.5? I looked on Beckett and it was graded in October 2001. Mac may have been retired at that point (or shortly after). I would have thought the $18,000 sale would have occurred sometime in 1998 when raws were going for $400.

mudflap02 said:
In the long run, I think this is the first step towards a drop in his auto prices.

Follow me here - He was laying low, not making appearances, not giving interviews, and definitely not signing. There were a fixed number of his certified autos on the market, and not many of them. His admission was the necessary first step towards him becoming relevant to the day-to-day baseball world once again. There is no way he is on the Cards' staff if he doesn't give this interview prior to spring training. Even though the PED issue will still come into play, the fact that he acknowleged it now gives it time to sink in so that it isn't "AS big" of an issue come the actual season. I think after a little bit of time, even though he will never be the Golden Boy that he once was, he will not feel as much of an "outsider looking in" to the modern game. I think this was a big issue with him not doing any more signings.

Hopefully in a few years, you will see some more certified autos of his, and that can only mean a drop in prices. This would be great for a lot of us, myself included, who would love to own a McGwire auto at Canseco prices.

wrong. very wrong

There are still ALOT of people that collect his cards. Especially his UD certified autos. Some of them are so rare they dont show up for auction any more. For people that still collect his cards, these admissions are no surprise and will have no effect. there is not enough of his high end auto cards to go around. Yea they came down since 05. But they still go for BIG money when it comes down to some of the really rare ones. you would be very surprised. Remember he only had a auto deal for 2 years. thats 2 years worth of cards. And they came out 7-8 years ago. Limited supply. There is still a big demand from his collectors for these cards.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
Codasco07 said:
Can any McGwire collector confirm that is the first 9.5? I looked on Beckett and it was graded in October 2001. Mac may have been retired at that point (or shortly after). I would have thought the $18,000 sale would have occurred sometime in 1998 when raws were going for $400.

Raw Macs were never going for $400.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Surprisingly there was no surge of McGwire cards post-admission. There has been a bit of a spike in prices though. The big shocker to me was that some guy bought one of the buybacks from burbank for $800. That's probably about double what the going rate is on those...

onionring9 said:
Surprisingly there was no surge of McGwire cards post-admission. There has been a bit of a spike in prices though. The big shocker to me was that some guy bought one of the buybacks from burbank for $800. That's probably about double what the going rate is on those...

i bought a buyback that was graded a BGS 8 with 10 auto grade for $ 157 earlier in the year. Last year i nabbed another one on the bay for 225. 800 is just nuts. But they have 2 that i really really want because then i would have (including IP auto's) his signed UD base versions from 98,99,00,01. But at 800 a pop that will have to wait for a long time.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Big Mac McGwire said:
onionring9 said:

i bought a buyback that was graded a BGS 8 with 10 auto grade for $ 157 earlier in the year. Last year i nabbed another one on the bay for 225. 800 is just nuts. But they have 2 that i really really want because then i would have (including IP auto's) his signed UD base versions from 98,99,00,01. But at 800 a pop that will have to wait for a long time.

I agree. The most I've spent on one of those was the /4 I have and that was $450 which I think should be around $400. Triple that price and you have the BIN on one of the /4's up there right now :)

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
Big Mac McGwire said:
mudflap02 said:
In the long run, I think this is the first step towards a drop in his auto prices.

Follow me here - He was laying low, not making appearances, not giving interviews, and definitely not signing. There were a fixed number of his certified autos on the market, and not many of them. His admission was the necessary first step towards him becoming relevant to the day-to-day baseball world once again. There is no way he is on the Cards' staff if he doesn't give this interview prior to spring training. Even though the PED issue will still come into play, the fact that he acknowleged it now gives it time to sink in so that it isn't "AS big" of an issue come the actual season. I think after a little bit of time, even though he will never be the Golden Boy that he once was, he will not feel as much of an "outsider looking in" to the modern game. I think this was a big issue with him not doing any more signings.

Hopefully in a few years, you will see some more certified autos of his, and that can only mean a drop in prices. This would be great for a lot of us, myself included, who would love to own a McGwire auto at Canseco prices.

wrong. very wrong

There are still ALOT of people that collect his cards. Especially his UD certified autos. Some of them are so rare they dont show up for auction any more. For people that still collect his cards, these admissions are no surprise and will have no effect. there is not enough of his high end auto cards to go around. Yea they came down since 05. But they still go for BIG money when it comes down to some of the really rare ones. you would be very surprised. Remember he only had a auto deal for 2 years. thats 2 years worth of cards. And they came out 7-8 years ago. Limited supply. There is still a big demand from his collectors for these cards.

Did you read a single word that I wrote? I'm not so sure you did.

And that Springsteen auto you have is the nicest IP auto I have ever seen. Did you know he was going to be at the Stone Pony when you went there?