Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mike Witt #702 New York Yankee error card

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 14, 2009
Very good points gentleman,it was never in my plan to let the amount of copies out to the public,someone was told and apparently he told someone also,it never came directly out of my month,i know there's value in the card and also know that 800 people won't have them...there are only 800 copies in circulation if 800 copies are sold,it doesn't make any sense to try to have them out there like that, I would never destroy something that was meant to be in the publics hands,it doesn't make sense,both comments are correct,we seem to be making a big deal out of something that's not even out there,for all we know there could only be 5,10,20 out there,time will tell what happens with the card.

I'm having a hard time understanding your post. Are you saying that you didn't find 800 copies of the card? Or that you had intended to keep the number secret to maximize profit on them?

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
Announcing that you have 800+ of a card previously thought to be known in low double digits is certainly no way to maximize profits.

I happened upon a stash (not mine) of the 1992 UW Huskies Billy Joe Hobert card. It was unissued I believe due to his scandal around the time of the 91 Championship. The owner was leaking them out very slowly (I want to say he was asking $25 per card and this was maybe 15-20 years ago) and probably told very few people, if anyone, that he had so many. I assume he still has them and a quick internet search brings up no photos or any for sale. Perhaps they too will all come out at some point in the future.

It sucks that more people can't/don't own that card, but in the end, Hobert never did amount to much and this is again one of those novelties that people would pay more for if they had a chance. Had Hobert made it big, this might have been an amazing card to own as long as the quantities remained "controlled". I'll have to dig and see if I was able to get one from him back then. I know I wouldn't have paid his asking price, so I probably didn't, especially seeing the quantity he had!

Your very 1st line is spot on. The minute the amount of cards found was announced it detroyed exponentially the value of this card. That is one hoard I would have kept in the dark if trying to maximize profit.
either way it is an amazing find and congrats to the OP but value was for sure hurt pretty substantially IMHO

Jan 14, 2009
The price is dropping quick on these

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what happens to a card previously estimated to exist in qty less than 100 copies when 800 new copies are discovered (literally overnight). I will be posting a new Junk Wax Gems article on the discovery shortly.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
If he manages to sell another 50, I suspect you could probably pick up a lot of 10 for $5 after that. This stands to be a even steeper decline than when all those Aqueous Test cards hit eBay.

Gilbert M Ayala

Jun 1, 2016
Hey Guys,just wanted to update everyone on these cards,ive sold a total of 10 cards so far,some less then $100,my intentions was and will try to get them out to all collectors who would want one for their collection,I've made a lot more money from these then I can imagine for something I spend $10 on,talked to a lot of cool people from all over the U.S...made some friends and had a few who tried to take advantage,lol..but it has been an experience,its gotten me into the collection world,the guy I got them from continues to have a huge collection and I'm there every Saturday and Sunday looking thru them,And my "Gem Mint 10" is now on eBay,so I'm excited about that,i just want that card to be sold for a little higher then the most expensive one sold for(1300)...only time will tell,after that,i might sell a total of maybe 10 after that,but I won't give them away,lol...so after that,the will be put away...there might be over 800 cards,but not a lot out in the market,what hopefully they keep some value...I admire all you guys,maybe some day I can be a master collector like you all...have a great day people!��

Jan 14, 2009
There is still nearly 1000 copies of the card out there, regardless of what you do with them. The information is public now and collected and posted on my blog. But fingers crossed on that $1300+ Gem Mint sale.

Gilbert M Ayala

Jun 1, 2016
Thank You Jackson,it would be nice,i picked up some nice older cards from the same Guy,i think I'm close to 2000 in my collection,and growing,doing the research on the cards is really gradifying,take care.

Shaneshack

Aug 22, 2020
Once again I have no disrespect to the collecting community,you stayed the obvious by your opinion that the are hundreds of thousands out there,so where are they?..all through the internet I've looked..seen 2 pictures out there, so once again show me the sheets,show me the many many more out there,its all your hearsay,and instead of saying,"hey man,good find""best of luck on what ever you do with them"...you want to try and belittle me because your the expert,show your expertise and prove your theory of the hundreds of thousands out there??..why so negative?..put yourself in my shoes,maybe that's why the negativity..cause your not the one in my shoes,so go ahead mister expert,post what you want,but bottom line is you can't prove what you think you know!...peace.
Hey soooooo big news. PLACE THAT CARD UNDER A BLACK LIGHT . And you will see why the black box is there ..,the mans DICK IS OUT

Attachments

• 00F14AC2-83B5-4870-BEB0-747B2782EE64.png
    00F14AC2-83B5-4870-BEB0-747B2782EE64.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 32
  • 4CD1A26D-A726-4F74-AC82-5EB231715F60.png
    4CD1A26D-A726-4F74-AC82-5EB231715F60.png
    884.4 KB · Views: 32

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I don't see it in the attached image, but that is a plausible answer. How something like that makes it past editors is amazing too, but then again sounds like it didn't and this was the best answer UD could come up with for the initial print run. I wonder why they didn't just pull the card entirely and then insert a new version in future print runs. Seems black boxing it would not be the way to go.

Then again, has anyone confirmed that this card w/ box ever made it into packs and was pulled? If this original guy ended up with a 800 count box of them, it sounds very much like a situation where they caught the error, blacked it out and then pulled the cards from distribution. The box full would have clearly been a back door situation, stolen by some employee and sold off later. Why black them out though in the first place if they were not meant for packs? Why not just pull the cards and skip the black box effort? Imagine how crazy people were for the Ripken FF error. Imagine the craziness around a Witt **** variation!

s-l640.jpgMakes me think of that SP Rodman card that everyone thought was his junk hanging out. Could have been a shadow or a tip, but I don't think they ever corrected it. Either way, sounds like cards not meant for the public made their way out anyway. Would love to know the real story behind this and any other error/variation that still remains mostly a mystery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.