Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Minor League Baseball Questions (autoed baseballs)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cardinals0103

Oct 5, 2008
Kansas
Just about everytime I go to a minor league game, of the players that I get autos from on a ball, it has been on a minor league ball. I personally like the autos better on the MILB ball if I get it signed while they're playing in the minors. Something about this just makes them visually appealing. Anyone else concur with me about this? (especially if you get the ball signed with whichever league ball they were playing at the time)

However I know the minor league baseballs when compared to OMLB are inferior with leather quality. I hear about fading and bleeding auto stories. I just checked on a few baseballs I had signed last summer and found a few to have some slight fading/no bleeding though.
minors.jpg
Left Dominguez has some slight fade (signed last summer). Right Escobar signed last week (hopefully won't fade bad)

This isn't the case with everyball. This isn't going to stop me from getting these baseballs signed but..

Does anyone else have any minor league baseballs signed? How are the conditions of the autograph? and how long have you had the ball signed?

I'm just hoping these baseballs won't totally fade away in a quick manner of time.

Also, I am soo close to finishing my project of obtaining a league ball from each league. If you know where I can get an: Appalachian, Gulf Coast, NY-PENN league ball to finish my set, let me know.

By the Way, Great read on Minor League Baseball Host Families from milb.com

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/news ... &fext=.jsp

Bosox3

Aug 7, 2008
Ive had alot of minor league baseballs either fade or bleed.
I think I tossed around 10-12 baseballs this past winter.

I do have around 5 that have been perfect now for over 3 yrs.

cardinals0103

Oct 5, 2008
Kansas
Bosox3 said:
Ive had alot of minor league baseballs either fade or bleed.
I think I tossed around 10-12 baseballs this past winter.

I do have around 5 that have been perfect now for over 3 yrs.

hmm, I guess some will be better than others. I'm hoping all of mine will be fine :?

r2d2

Aug 24, 2008
Mexico City
Just keep them away from the light and they should be fine for a longer time.
I know it sucks for displaying issues, but you don't want the autos faded when you're older.

cardinals0103

Oct 5, 2008
Kansas
r2d2 said:
I know it sucks for displaying issues, but you don't want the autos faded when you're older.

I have them stored in the 12ct boxes. What about temperature? I keep all the baseballs in my closet which faces the south. The hotter side of the house in general.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
If you have to get a minor league baseball signed, use a green pen. The dye in blue and black doesn't react very well with the non distilled water they use to treat the leather at the Rawlings China factory. This is also why the American balls produced from late 1987 to the early 1990's fade from the Costa Rica Rawlings plant.

Derek2011

Aug 7, 2008
Bainbridge,PA
I have my eastern leagues in the box that the ball holders come in. Many if not all have bled. The best looking one I have is an Aaron Hill that was signed in sharpie, which I thought that one would have bled the most. I have a few Howards and Wrights that are still decent, but still show bleeding. I have since switched to getting full size bats signed.

Derek

mikekarlovec

Aug 7, 2008
Hobbs, NM
most of the brand new minor league balls i have faded or bled(most bled). the couple of game used balls i have that i got signed still look great. i have a SAL game ball that Phil Hughes signed when he was in charleston and it still looks great. i guess you just have to beat up the cheaper leather to get it to not bleed.

cardinals0103

Oct 5, 2008
Kansas
Green pen-huh, I actually have boxes of green pens as that's pretty much all I wrote with during school.
Any examples of green pen autos? They really hold the signature significantly better than blue/black?

Used baseballs I have seen are better compared to brand new ones. Especially the game rubbed ones.

r2d2

Aug 24, 2008
Mexico City
cardinals0103 said:
r2d2 said:

I have them stored in the 12ct boxes. What about temperature? I keep all the baseballs in my closet which faces the south. The hotter side of the house in general.

If they are in a box and something like a closet I don't think it can get very hot to be harm to them.
From what I've read the problem with temperature is the humidity, live in a place with a lot of moisture?

cardinals0103

Oct 5, 2008
Kansas
r2d2 said:
cardinals0103 said:
r2d2 said:

If they are in a box and something like a closet I don't think it can get very hot to be harm to them.
From what I've read the problem with temperature is the humidity, live in a place with a lot of moisture?

sometimes depends on weather here in Kansas City

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Here is one I have had for awhile from when he played in Tacoma..

arod-pcl.jpg

arod.jpg

and to help with the age of the ball..

William S. Cutler served as the Pacific Coast League president from 1979 to 1997. He was inducted into the Pacific Coast League Hall of Fame in 2005.

Members online

Latest posts