Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MLB Daily Playoffs Thread 10/5

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
FWIW MLB denied the protest. Early reports claim that sources within MLB are saying it was the right interpretation by rule. Of course MLB has to say that at this point.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
Rangers v. O's is a good game thus far. Saunders and Darvish are throwing pretty well and Geovany Soto is stranding runners on base just like he used to for the Cubs.

I thought Saunders was going to give up 6+ ER for sure....glad I was wrong. If Baltimore can get through the 6th without giving up another run, I think they'll win this thing. Their bullpen is solid.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
That's ridiculous. Professional umpires/refs miss calls all the time. Is it not possible he just eff'd up because he's human?! Why does he have to be in somebody's pocket? I think fans just like to b**ch and wine about meaningless crap. In the famous words of Detective John Kimball, "STOP WHINING!!!"

I understand the human element to the game; a pitch in the strike zone gets called a ball, no big deal. A ball lands a tiny bit foul and gets called fair, hey, it happens. Bang-bang play at first can go either way. This is the first time (and believe you me, I have watched A LOT of baseball in my life) where I've seen a ball hit well into the outfield but it is called an infield fly. There is a reason it is called the "infield fly rule" you know.

The way he delayed until the last second, saw it was going to fall, decided to call it an infield fly... it all seemed very suspicious to me. People used to tell me I was crazy for saying that NBA games were rigged too. And before that, they tried to convince me that WWF was real. ;) In all seriousness though, I don't care about either team that was playing, I just love baseball. "I love this game!" Although tonight I felt like I was watching an NBA game. Without the flopping, of course.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Just in case anybody is interested in the actual rule from the actual rule book.... I have underlined the pertinent part of the rule so that everybody can see that tonight's fly ball was not in any way, shape, or form an infield fly.

An INFIELD FLY is a fair fly ball (not including a line drive nor an attempted bunt) which can be caught by an infielder with ordinary effort, when first and second, or first, second and third bases are occupied, before two are out. The pitcher, catcher and any outfielder who stations himself in the infield on the play shall be considered infielders for the purpose of this rule.
When it seems apparent that a batted ball will be an Infield Fly, the umpire shall immediately declare “Infield Fly” for the benefit of the runners. If the ball is near the baselines, the umpire shall declare “Infield Fly, if Fair.”
The ball is alive and runners may advance at the risk of the ball being caught, or retouch and advance after the ball is touched, the same as on any fly ball. If the hit becomes a foul ball, it is treated the same as any foul.
If a declared Infield Fly is allowed to fall untouched to the ground, and bounces foul before passing first or third base, it is a foul ball. If a declared Infield Fly falls untouched to the ground outside the baseline, and bounces fair before passing first or third base, it is an Infield Fly.
Rule 2.00 (Infield Fly) Comment: On the infield fly rule the umpire is to rule whether the ball could ordinarily have been handled by an infielder— not by some arbitrary limitation such as the grass, or the base lines. The umpire must rule also that a ball is an infield fly, even if handled by an outfielder, if, in the umpire’s judgment, the ball could have been as easily handled by an infielder. The infield fly is in no sense to be considered an appeal play. The umpire’s judgment must govern, and the decision should be made immediately.
When an infield fly rule is called, runners may advance at their own risk. If on an infield fly rule, the infielder intentionally drops a fair ball, the ball remains in play despite the provisions of Rule 6.05 (L). The infield fly rule takes precedence.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
I understand the human element to the game; a pitch in the strike zone gets called a ball, no big deal. A ball lands a tiny bit foul and gets called fair, hey, it happens. Bang-bang play at first can go either way. This is the first time (and believe you me, I have watched A LOT of baseball in my life) where I've seen a ball hit well into the outfield but it is called an infield fly. There is a reason it is called the "infield fly rule" you know.

The way he delayed until the last second, saw it was going to fall, decided to call it an infield fly... it all seemed very suspicious to me. People used to tell me I was crazy for saying that NBA games were rigged too. And before that, they tried to convince me that WWF was real. ;) In all seriousness though, I don't care about either team that was playing, I just love baseball. "I love this game!" Although tonight I felt like I was watching an NBA game. Without the flopping, of course.

I get what you're saying, and I agree with you that this was incorrect, but people screw up all the time. Look at Chipper, for instance. He's been solid all season long and OWNED Kyle Lohse this year, but he couldn't get the job done. Does this mean he threw the game for money? Or is it possible (and more feasible) that Chipper's nerves were a little shaky since this is his last year and he wanted to go out with another championship? Or perhaps he just had a bad game? It can happen to the umpires too. I just think it's unfair to immediately jump on the umps/refs for screwing something up. It's just people looking for a scapegoat. If I'm wrong, then why weren't the Braves boo'd for all the errors?

Coincidentally, Chipper lolligagged all the way to first base on that 9th inning grounder (I would expect more from him...Jeter still legs out every single play) and he was clearly out. I could say that the ump just wanted to do a favor for a future HOFer in his final game, and also make the hometown fans happy, so he purposely missed the call. But more likely, he just screwed up, too. He's only human.

Lastly, MLB denied the protest but I haven't heard anyone put any blame on them. They at least had the benefit of a replay and STILL refused to admit a wrong call. People just love to complain about officiating. It's seriously like the cool thing to do in our society nowadays. Way sad.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Wow. Infield fly rule? He was at least 25 feet out of the infield.

they need to add clarification to the rule (and IMHO a penalty). I think the clarification should add it is an infield fly if it seems an infielder or outfielder playing shallow might be able to turn a double play if the ball was allowed to drop. In the play in ATL, I'd say it wasn't an infield fly only because I don't think Kozma could have made a double play if he were to allow the ball to drop on purpose, rather than have it drop like it did in the game because of a communications problem. I don't think Kozma, running away from the infled, would have been able to purposely let the ball drop, pick it up and get a double play. I do think he would get one out but that would violate my rule clarification that a purposely dropped ball would lead to a double play no matter where an infielder or shallow playing outfielder would play. Had the play dropped in front of a deeper playing Kozma, it would be an infield fly by my rule as he'd just have to pick up it and start the DP.

the penalty I'd like to see if is the play is called infield fly and a catch isn't made, the batter is placed safely on first base and any runners on base move up one base safely. I think it will encourage a proper play on an infleld fly to be made rather than just let the defender not catch or drop the ball because of the fact the batter is
already automatically out.

maybe another rule - trash cleanup of more than 20 mins results in forfeit! ;) why should big leaguers have to cool off and need to re-warmup because of the below 70 IQers in the stands?

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
It means nothing will happen. At best, MLB admits it was a bad call.

MLB won't admit it - they aren't the NFL. The NFL admitted the blown call yet smartly kept themselves from being GOD in overturning it and just saying the final result is whatever the scab umps decided.

and the protest should be tossed out - I don't think you can (or should) protest a judgement call. If there were some violation of the rules that wasn't a judgement, that would be a different story.

The Braves should have just played better since this isn't a best-of-three series.

Members online

Latest posts