Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Moral dilemma.. to sell an Autograph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brianga26

Aug 7, 2008
Atlanta, GA
first off I want to say I have never sold an autograph I got in person. I did however, buy an autographed Bryce Harper pre-craze. I bought the SI from a reputable dealer on Ebay back in 2009. I am now thinking of selling it on Ebay. My dilemma is I don't sell autographs. EVER. I am an Autograph collector. But since I did buy this versus getting it signed IP, I think I am ok. I do have a ball and a Baseball America signed by Bryce.. so I am not losing out on my autograph of him.
So what I am asking is... or maybe starting a debate about is.. Should I sell now while the Iron is hot? Or stick to my guns of not selling an autograph?

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
There is a time and place for everything. There would never be a better time to see a Bryce or Mike Trout autograph then now.

I always make myself feel better about selling something by using half of the money to pay a bill.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Ethics? Morals? This is a baseball card message board. Baseball card collectors and manufacturers typically don't display those.

Seriously, I agree. If it was IP, then no. But, it wasn't -- so go for it.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
I don't see an issue with it.

You purchased it, so it wasn't obtained IP, and you have a couple other Harper autos that were obtained IP. Might as well get the money for it now.

jumbojohnny

Aug 7, 2008
Ethics? Morals? This is a baseball card message board. Baseball card collectors and manufacturers typically don't display those.

Seriously, I agree. If it was IP, then no. But, it wasn't -- so go for it.

The only morals/ethics that I have in this hobby are to not screw over fellow collectors.

brianga26

Aug 7, 2008
Atlanta, GA
yea I tell myself that too..I just don't want to be one of those "hypocrites" nothing makes me madder than when I am getting IP autos there is a guy with 40 things to be signed.. I mean.. really?? do we know what you are doing with that?? haha

here it is though.. I got this like in November of 2009. It has been in a file folder since

Harper-1.jpg

jrinne

Sep 25, 2008
Even if you did get IP who cares, its your item do as you please. There is nothing wrong with selling an IP autograph.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

brianga26

Aug 7, 2008
Atlanta, GA
haha.. ya I know they are my autographs.. I just have a personal thing about selling IP.
As for whoever commented on my SI looking bad? What do you mean?

Gilmore when is JSA coming back?

jrinne

Sep 25, 2008
Here we go......

Would you rather see him sell an real autograph or a fake. Ozzie Smith once told a reporter that he has no problem signing even if a person sells it. Why? Because he would rather see someone sell a real autograph over a fake.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
like it or not, he's right.

Agree. I just dont get the issue with selling IP stuff. Shat, I have so many Cuddy items that I have gotten off of the secondary market from other collectors, without them, I wouldn't have been able to have gotten 1/2 the stuff that I have signed. They took their time, and possibly money, to get something signed that I now want, so kudos to them for doing that, I am willing to pay them for their time and effort.

No one is right or wrong with their opinions on the matter, I just see one end of the spectrum, don't understand the other end, that is all.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
Perfect example of how IP sellers are shady. That SI cover looks pretty off (possibly fake) IMO. I bet they used a picture to prove its real, a picture which they used 75 times before. They know full well PSA/JSA adds value. I guess they decided to pass the value to the collector out of the kindness of their hearts.

Last edited:

tikitomoka

Jul 27, 2009
For one, when the IP collectors on this board get blasted for their hobby often being lumped in with the shady characters that give the activity a black eye.
What would be crazy is if people realized, just like any other hobby/business, there are good and bad participants. You don't see autograph collectors running around calling all card collectors scumbags because they saw fake patches on eBay, do you? It's the exact same thing. Yes, there are scummy dealers who are rude and more than likely smell bad, but not every seller should be lumped in with that minority of people. And, NYC3, I get you have a disdain for the new york graphers, and that's fine, but you have to understand that, relative to just about any other city in America, it's a completely different ball game out there with the tactics used to get people, craziness of crowds, etc.

Members online