Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MrMopar's New Dodgers Autograph Thread (and other interesting items on a slow mailday)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dodgerfan74

Oct 6, 2008
Hi,
Thought I would comment on your collection.
Love all the Garvey autos. He was my favorite player growing up and "The Infield" I feel was/is underrated and over shadowed by the Reds. 75 & 76 teams. I gave my Garvey stuff to one of my son's who is in his 20's. I narrowed my collection focus to Dodger Hall of Famers, Kershaw/Koufax-southpaws like me, Jackie Robinson, Rookie cards-I do have a Garvey 71 Topps, and sets-74 Topps, 2012 Heritage, 92 Bowman, 89 Upper Deck, and 2020 Archives-74 subset.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
One in today, can't remember if I won one before or just the silver /25. This one is /10. Garvey 10.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
A few in today. First is the base Carl Erskine from Archives that eluded me for quite some time. Prices are starting to drop finally. Oisk Base.jpg

Next up is a gold snapshot Victor Gonzalez /10. V Gonzalez gold 10.jpg

Last 2 are PCs of some lesser known/short timers on the Dodgers. One went on to a pretty decent managerial career and is in 2021 archives. The other had a TV broadcast career in NM, as best I can tell, after retiring from baseball. Ron Washington & Terry McDermott Washington.jpgMcDermott.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Almost forgot 2 items that are more exciting to me than most cards these days. I have always loved the oddball stuff. 2 team brochure items featuring Garvey.

One is 77 Ticket Brochure, the other 87.

s-l1600-1.jpgs-l1600.jpg

s-l1600-2.jpgs-l1600-3.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Just one in today, but I like it. it's a red version /25. Don Sutton

Sutton 25.jpg

I also impulse bought a few of these locker tags. They are MLB authenticated locker tags. They are from the 2018 World Series. I am not sure if these were even displayed in lockers, f they were just inserted and removed for the sake of selling more junk to us fans OR they may have just been made and not even used or displayed at all. I did check and none of the 4 players I won were even on the WS roster, in 2018 so I presume they were made for the possibility that these players were added to the roster, but not used. Woodward was a coach, so maybe his was actually used? They were pretty cheap, so not really worried about it, kind of a neat item regardless. It would be cool if they were the only copy made, especially given the players never appeared in the World Series, but I'm sure I'll never know unless I see another.

Tim Locastro, Erik Goeddel, J.T. Chargois, Zac Rosscup & Chris Woodward.

s-l1600.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-12-21 at 2.42.50 PM.png
even

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
On Steve Garvey's 73rd B-Day, I received no Garvey items, except a 5x7 photo within a package of 20 team issue set.

What I did get was a Dusty Baker archives purple/150. Dusty Baker. purple jpg.jpg and an Al Oliver Heritage High Number Red /72. Couldn't get the Garvey red for a nice price, but was able to snag the Oliver. My other "player collection" guy, Rod Carew is also in the set, but no luck with him either.Oliver Red.jpg

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
On Steve Garvey's 73rd B-Day, I received no Garvey items, except a 5x7 photo within a package of 20 team issue set.

What I did get was a Dusty Baker archives purple/150. View attachment 316509 and an Al Oliver Heritage High Number Red /72. Couldn't get the Garvey red for a nice price, but was able to snag the Oliver. My other "player collection" guy, Rod Carew is also in the set, but no luck with him either.View attachment 316510
You outbid me on the Baker ;) Sorry if I drove the price up on you, I had no idea.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
This one came from Canada, so it took a while. You may not have bid on it, but it's all good., Plenty to go around at 150 copies.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I received the brother to the red Sutton, the black one. Sutton Black.jpg

Also got this Forsythe, which is a great action shot that stood out for me. Forsythe.jpg

Finally a pair of Panini Garvey GU/Au cards. One is /10, the other is /25. Garvey 10.jpgGarvey 25.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
More of a non-card, non-autograph day. First off, I won another custom transogram. I do like these, very well done. Excellent Trio, although a 3X Dodger panel would have been better. Put Jackie in the middle and I probably would not have won it though!Transogram.jpg

These tickets were issued in 2008, but you don't see as many as I would have thought. Perhaps they were season ticket holders only? Not sure, but cool stubs for sure. Garvey 08 Tix.jpg

Next is the only auto of the day, a silver /99 Oisk! Oisk Silver.jpg

Wrapping up for the day is the item I was most excited to see, win and now receive. As you may have seen, I love the Pepsi Dodger club items. it's somewhat surprising that these things survive, but I love that someone saved them. I wish I had saved the Mariner applications. Still trying to track those down. Anyway, I knew he was associated with the club through ads and other items, but have never seen the long, slender application that the other players/Lasorda had. So happy to have these, but someone also wanted them pretty bad. I paid more for a pair of these than I did for any of my Garvey pieces. Ron Cey 1980 Club Application! Cey Pepsi.jpg

I know some folks only collect cards, but it amazes me that the oddball stuff doesn't garner more attention (and value). Glad it doesn't, so I can find deals, but I hope someday that people start to recognize that in some cases this type of thing is harder to find than a T-206 Wagner!

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
A couple customs and a logoless, but Dodger related add.

First off, I was pleasantly surprised to find that Garrett Cleavinger got a Dodger auto. It's logoless, but at least there is some nice blue color to the card. This would be an upgrade to the Donruss Elite college card I had. Cleavenger.png. I also got a couple of the contender autos as well on the cheap, but not worth showing.

Then I got this pretty cool Football themed Garvey. This artist does these now and again, but they are actual painting, not cheap prints. They are one of a kind. I have several of his works dating back to at least 5 years now. Very unique too, as it is a 1969 Topps football design. Garvey 69FB Design.png

Finally, I managed to win 2 Banty cards, which was 2 more than I expected. Seems I have been priced out of these now. They are gaining in popularity, at least with ebay bidders. i woiuld try to buy neat Dodger designs under $20 (with a few exceptions - Garvey), but now that seems to be impossible. The Campy was in the low $20s, but the Garvey hurt. Not sure I'll keep chasing them if they are going to cost so much. Great product, but I hate to be into unlicensed cards for too much. After all, at some point the stuff will probably be up for sale again and tastes may change by then. I won't personally care, but hate to see money lost on anything.

Either the seller tossed in a bonus or I mistakenly got someone's Pee Wee Reese card too. I need to verify this was purposeful, as it needs to go to the rightful owner if it was not a bonus gift for being a loyal (used loosely) Banty customer!

Campy Banty F.jpgCampy Banty B.jpgGarvey Banty.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Just one in today. Everything is still moving through the system slowly.

I'd like to think I am done buying this guy, unless there is a card/design that I just must have. This was an appealing looking card with on card auto, so I figured it might be nice to have. I got bid up to nearly my max, but if it went higher, I was not going to cry about it.

Hopefully he comes back in 2022 and has a great year. Scandals don't seem to kill value (and prices) as much as you'd think these days, but a year off might hurt performance. I have purposefully avoided diving into his personal issues. Hopefully they are being resolved appropriately.

Bauer.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Another transogram, no Dodgers (although Thome was briefly in LA). I just like the design. Jeter Trnso.jpg

I also got another piece of the Pepsi club puzzle. This is a full kit for the 1977 Mariners Club. The only downside is the person signed their membership card, but all original from the original owner. pretty cool. I didn't join for another year or two after this, but i don't remember a letter. I have the original membership card and patch, but sadly used the tickets. I am sure I probably kept the stubs, but have not come across them yet if I did. So glad people kept stuff like this!!

s-l1600.jpg

Final item is the Red Heritage Phil Regan auto /72. So many years with the Dodgers, but they gave him a cubs Heritage card. At least he got one. These are on a weird card stock...anyone notice that?Regan Red.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Last mail day of 2021. Can't believe I have been contributing to this thread for 2 years now. The first year (2020) was everything Dodger auto related, which lead to a lot of other teams for players who passed through Brooklyn/LA. I decided to just feature what I felt were interesting autos in 2021. Since I didn't get as much pure Dodger auto'd stuff, I started showing some non-auto stuff as well.

Let's see what 2022 brings!

Each year, I chase these to some extent. In 2017, I went all out. It's scaled back each year and this year, I have chased the set the least. By my count, I have only obtained 33 cards for the 2021 set. They were mostly Dodger related or blue's /25. I have tried to cheaply pick up as many of the /25 parallel each year too. Weird pricing spikes lead to fewer /25s this issue. I have only been able to nab 7 and only 1 is a Dodger (boo). Still need Loduca, Erskine, Loretta, Baker & Washington in the blue if anyone has them at decent prices. I look to pay under $20 for them, often under $10 on the lesser players though. On the occasional better player, I have been known to splurge, but nobody really falls into that category this year. Baker might be a toughie at under $20, but not impossible I believe.

The new pick-up is Shea Hillebrand Archives/FF /25. His career was pretty short, from 2001-07, but included 2 All Star seasons and his final MLB appearance was in LA for 20 games in 2001. He hit .243 and was done at 31 years of age. I had forgotten he was a Dodger, actually. They have gone through so many short timers that I can't possibly remember them all off the top of my head. This is especially true of the guys from the late 90s until the last couple of years.

Kind of a crummy way to close out the year of a Dodger thread, with a Blue Jays card, but that is the way it goes. See you in '22.
Hillenbrand 25.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
If you're interested. Not my card but he's been working his way down from $75 to the current $25 for a while

Whatever it was, the link does not appear to work. Not sure I can trust anyone in the Facebook card community after this mornings exercise in discussing the finer points of pack searching!

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Whatever it was, the link does not appear to work. Not sure I can trust anyone in the Facebook card community after this mornings exercise in discussing the finer points of pack searching!

2021 Archives Quaker Oats Steve Garvey Auto 12/12 for $25
Garvey.jpg

I must have missed the pack searching discussion but that's painting with an awfully broad brush. Just about everyone who posts here regularly is part of the Facebook card community too.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
@WizardofOz1982

I post there (facebook) to help people and sometimes to debate, but i don't transact there. I guess that is more my point. I also understand that everyone on here probably does all sorts of online transacting (COMC, Ebay, etc.). Since we are kind of anonymous on these sites, with just user names (unless you have dealt with anyone 1 on 1 and have their name/address), it's hard to know who is who on any of the sites except Facebook, where your name is out there for all to see. I was being very broad in my comments for sure, as i know not everyone falls into that category.

It was pretty sad though and I see more and more people bragging about slimy crap or others defending people for doing it. I saw a perfect meme that describes it. It went something like:

Children who are not taught right from wrong and corrected when acting wrong, become adults who don't think anything they do is wrong! It was literally these guys, thinking nothing they were doing was wrong. At a minimum, it is unethical, but to them it is an advantage that should be used for personal gain (others be damned) or it was someone else's fault for them being able to CHEAT the system!

I would probably buy that Garvey for $25, I don't think i have it. Have not seen it though, so probably a group I am not in. i am only in 3-4 card groups. What was the name of the group the Gavrye came from?