Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MrMopar's New Dodgers Autograph Thread (and other interesting items on a slow mailday)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Might as well share this, even though I didn't get what I paid for. Are others being plagued with shipping mistakes as often as me, or am I just real lucky?

Got this today: s-l1600.jpg. This is what I bid on and paid for: Garvey Plate.jpg

See the difference?

I guess I just can't/don't tolerate this kind of mistake. Take a little pride in your work. Pay attention to the details. Jesus, I am tired of having to deal with shipping mistakes.

Here is the fun part and we'll see how this plays out. I won the plate for opening bid of $0.99. S/h was $10.20. Plate came fast and well packaged, but it's WRONG! I messaged seller today, explaining what had happened. I asked how they wanted to coordinate the swap. I have not heard back yet, but I also offered this:

The plate I received was also listed at an opening bid of $0.99 and didn't sell. If I return the wrong plate and get the correct plate, seller is on the hook for both shipping charges. His mistake, his cost. So, I offered to keep the wrong plate, pay the $1 auction fee and save them from having to spend $10+ to ship it back.

Assuming they want their plate back (and there is no profit on s/h), here is how the math works out.

Correct plate purchased $0.99 (Paid by me)
Initial shipping $10.20 (Paid by me)
Return shipping of wrong plate $10.20 (paid by seller)
Shipping of correct plate $10.20 (paid by seller)

I get my plate and spend $11.20. Seller gets my $0.99 (minus fees) and spends $20.40 for shipping (plus the $10.20 I paid them for s/h). They sell 1 plate and lose $19.40 on this transaction.

As painful as it sounds, letting me keep the wrong plate for $0.99 is the most economical way to solve this.

Keep incorrect plate $0.99 (Paid by me)
Shipping of correct plate &10.20 (paid by seller)

I end up spending $12.20 and get 2 plates (Yes, I win either way). Seller spends $10.20 to correct their mistake, but gets another buck from me. They are now down 2 plates and $9.20 cash.

Either way, I feel a little bad for anyone who screws up a shipment, but then again, it's a mistake that is avoidable.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
Might as well share this, even though I didn't get what I paid for. Are others being plagued with shipping mistakes as often as me, or am I just real lucky?

Got this today: View attachment 339232. This is what I bid on and paid for: View attachment 339233

See the difference?

I guess I just can't/don't tolerate this kind of mistake. Take a little pride in your work. Pay attention to the details. Jesus, I am tired of having to deal with shipping mistakes.

Here is the fun part and we'll see how this plays out. I won the plate for opening bid of $0.99. S/h was $10.20. Plate came fast and well packaged, but it's WRONG! I messaged seller today, explaining what had happened. I asked how they wanted to coordinate the swap. I have not heard back yet, but I also offered this:

The plate I received was also listed at an opening bid of $0.99 and didn't sell. If I return the wrong plate and get the correct plate, seller is on the hook for both shipping charges. His mistake, his cost. So, I offered to keep the wrong plate, pay the $1 auction fee and save them from having to spend $10+ to ship it back.

Assuming they want their plate back (and there is no profit on s/h), here is how the math works out.

Return shipping of wrong plate $10.20 (paid by seller)
Shipping of correct plate $10.20 (paid by seller)

I get my plate and spend $11.20. Seller gets my $0.99 (minus fees) and spends $20.40 for shipping (plus the $10.20 I paid them for s/h). They sell 1 plate and lose $19.40 on this transaction.

As painful as it sounds, letting me keep the wrong plate for $0.99 is the most economical way to solve this.

Keep incorrect plate $0.99 (Paid by me)
Shipping of correct plate &10.20 (paid by seller)

I end up spending $12.20 and get 2 plates (Yes, I win either way). Seller spends $10.20 to correct their mistake, but gets another buck from me. They are now down 2 plates and $9.20 cash.

Either way, I feel a little bad for anyone who screws up a shipment, but then again, it's a mistake that is avoidable.
This exact situation is why I avoid eBay as much as possible. Sometimes it is impossible, but the lack of communication drives me crazy.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
The seller of the plate responded and apologized for the error and is sending the correct plate and offered to let me keep the wrong plate (and didn't even accept the $1). Solid resolution, assuming the correct plate shows up as promised.

Todat \brought a couple minor autos and one card I wasn't planning to buy, but got it for a buck (plus s/h), so why not?

Lopes Timeless Teams. Lopes TT.jpg

Another cheap McKinstry auto. Not sure why I keep buying these (other than I am addicted to autographs), unless the frustration of not being able to land one for close to a year is still fueling my actions. McKinstry.jpg

Neuse. Neuse.jpg

Finally, this Garvey Topps Project 70 item. The 1/1 sold for almost $150! The foils are selling for high 2 figures /70. I guess people really dig this art. It's Garvey's first (and only) Topps art card that I am aware of. No, I take that back, there was one that had autos and was a version of one of his Glossy AS cards. I had trouble winning those too.

I tried to win one at first, but they were selling for $10-15 plus shipping. I decided that I didn't need one for that price, ever. I am not landing every Garvey, so this is certainly a gap I can live with. However, finally, I bid on one that opened at 99 cents and was never outbid. I think s/h was probably $5, so I got it for well under $10 with tax included as well. I hope this is his last Project 70 card...
Garvey Art $1.jpg

Couple others, but I'll try to start using the current Monthly pick-up thread for anything that had no Dodger connection.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I feel like I have enough ebay bad juju to share the wealth. Not sure why, I feel like I am not due such a large amount of bad karma!

The recent haul, have not been good about getting on daily of late.

A couple oldies, have not nabbed any ancient Dodgers in a while. It's hard to buy too many of these, because the scrubs who died a long time ago still tend to bring a decent $. DeBerry. Not sure what is happening on the card, as it doesn't appear he ever played for the yanks. Got it from Jim Stinson, so not worried about it. DeBerry played for Brooklyn from 1922-1930. He died in 1951.DeBerry.jpg

Eayrs. Appeared in 8 games for the 1921 Brooklyn club. Died in 1969. Eayrs.png

Next is a pretty cool contract for Geoff Zahn, struck between the Cubs and Dodgers. Signed by Al Campanis. I have not looked this over yet to see what else might be included. It's signed by someone from the Cubs too, but have not looked him up yet. s-l1600-2.jpg

A new Golden Max Muncy /50. s-l1600.jpg

A "Older" Garvey auto from 2003 I think, where they did one of the earlier buybacks. /19. Garvey 19.jpg

Grany Dayton. Been trying to find one of these since he debuted. Everyone wanted $10+. Finally found one cheaper. Dayton.jpg

Another great high kick Marichal card. Marichal.jpg

Have to extend this to another post to get the last item...

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 4

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
This was an absolute score at $35! 1986 Dodgers ball, as best I can date based on a few players This has a terrible clubhouse Lasorda, but everything else looked pretty good to my novice eyeballs. I have a few Dodger autos, but I'll never proclaim myself to be a handwriting expert though. Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 8.17.12 PM.png

I am stumped on one, which is unusual. Maybe someone recognizes it. I may have to take a better picture, but it's the top signature in this image. Beneath him, it's Steve Sax, Rick Honeycutt, Bill Russell, Reggie Williams & Enos Cabell

Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 8.11.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 8.15.03 PM.pngOn this panel we have Monty Basgall, Ben Hines, Pedro Guerrero, Dave Anderson & Ken Howell

Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 8.16.11 PM.pngJose Gonzalez, Jeff Hamilton,Jerry Reuss, Orel Hershiser,, Len Matuszak, Tom Niedenfuer, Joe Beckwith & Jack Fimple.

Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 8.15.54 PM.pngEd Vande Berg, Fernando Valenzuela, Ralph Bryant, Don McMahon, Larry See & Bob Welch. On an interesting note, McMahon was an instructional coach and seemed to do some odd stuff for the Dodger around this time, including positioning players from the press box as an "eye in the sky", according to SABR. A former 18 year MLB pitcher (mostly relief), the 57 year old McMahon would pitch batting practice for most home games and actually had a heart attack pitching BP on July 22, 1987 and died a few hours later at the hospital. You can see the tribute patch the players wore for him on some of the 1988 cards. If I recall, it said "Mac".

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 8.16.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 8.16.11 PM.png
    411.6 KB · Views: 4

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Been splurging a little, not a bunch of high end items like I would consider true splurging, but letting myself grab a few cards I might not normally buy, even if they are relatively cheap anyway. I got a pair of Nabisco Drysdale cards. This is a great card and the only true Certified Drysdale. I think there are fakes though, because he died in the middle of the promotion and I have seen unsigned cards, so naturally that leads to fraud. Each card came with a folded paper COA, I know this because I sent in for the set at the time thankfully. 1 had the cart, the other didn't, but I feel both of these are solid. I often enjoy these cards more than the fancier, newer certified cards from the big boys. The earlier "certified" cards had character. Drysdale 1.jpgDrysdale 2.jpg

This is an overpriced 3x5 card in my mind, but I'm a sucker too and chased it to have a pack certified card all the same. Leo Durocher. Durocher.jpg

The rest of my haul was not Dodger related...

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Today brings a Dusty Baker Timeless Teams (1977) version, but I forgot to grab the scan. I already had the card anyway.

I also landed a Frank McCourt auto. At least I hope it is. it was very cheap if not, but not sure why anyone would bother to fake something like this and then sell it for dirt cheap.

McCourt.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Wilman Diaz. Diaz.jpg

This is a Dodger related item, as he played for Brooklyn from 1933-36, having a few decent years before blossoming into a 3X AS for the Reds. He entered the service in 1944 and missed 2 seasons, but by the time he returned, he had essentially run out of gas. He wrapped up his career in 1948, bouncing across 4 teams in those final 3 years. He died in 2009. Great card, despite the fact he is shown as a Red. In fairness, his best years were in Cincinnati. Lonny Frey. Frey SS.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
just got back from vacation and this thread is only down on page 3! We need some more activity here!!

I had a massive mail day yesterday, since packages have been on hold since 6/11. I'll post the highlights once I have a chance to open it all. we got home pretty late and i was back to work today, so the pile is still sitting there calling me...

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Going to need 3 posts to capture everything. I got my correct Garvey plate for starters. No image, since it was shown previously when I got an incorrect one. I'll build up to the big hit.

Garvey Twinkie. These are always nice to grab when they are not too stained and cheap. Garv Twinkie.jpg. A few 3x5s of some oldies.

A few GU cards. Wheat and Furillo from the Brooklyn Master set UD put out a while back that retailed for about a grand! This was a fancy boxed set, so a lot are probably still in set form. There was some chance to it, as there were mystery autos and GU, along with a basic set that each box got. These are part of the standard GU sets. Wheat.pngFurillo.png. Then I grabbed a Jake Daubert /5. It was fairly cheap, since I don't trust the wood to be from his bat, consider it a low print run insert.
Daubert 5.jpg
Ivy Olson - Was with Brooklyn from 1915 until the end of his MLB career in 1924, he was a decent middle infielder mostly. Died in 1965 at age 79.Olson.png

Schoolboy Rowe - He only was with Brooklyn for a partial year in 1942, going 1-0 in 9 games. He was a 2X AS with the early 30s Tigers, facing the likes of Ruth, Gehrig, Foxx, etc. He died in 1961 of a heart attack a few days shy of his 51st birthday. Rowe.png

Billy Rhiel debuted with Brooklyn in 1929, the only year he was with the team, starting about 1/3 of the teams games in the infield. He died in 1946, of a heart attack according to Wikipedia, but finding other details is sparse. Rhiel.png

A couple Dodgers out of uniform, starting with a sweet Al Oliver /5. Oliver 5.jpg. A cheap Hanser Alberto Alberto.jpg. Skip Schumaker. Schumaker.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
A few Garveys from the GQ set, including a base and a B&W and a Gold Label /75. Garv Base.jpgGarv BW.jpgGarv 75.jpg

Andre Jackson. Jackson.jpg. Ron Cey. Cey.jpg. Todd Hundley.Hundley.jpg Russell Martin /25.Martin 25.jpg

A archive Buehler buyback, wanted this for the trophy. Still half heartedly collect these. Buehler.jpg

Meant to show this in the Monthly PU thread, but there are Dodgers in here. A couple of the RGI series. I am trying to put together the entire 6 series (45 cards ea) set, by getting the 45 card series sets. A favorite from my childhood...RGI sets .jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
A few non-certified Dodgers and then some former/futures as well.

Billy Herman on an oversized TCMA card. Herman.jpg. Oversized piazza. I am leery of his auto, but this one was from a known source (same seller as Herman) and i think it is good. it was not a ton either. Piazza.jpg. Luis Avilan. Avilan.jpg. Al Lopez on a DG card. Lopez.jpg

Dick Tracewski on a 67T High Number. Trace HI.jpg. 1968 Ron Perranoski. Ron P.jpg. 1971 Tommy Dean. Dean.jpg. Wiz Gordie Windhorn. Windhorn.jpg

And the grand prize! I really didn't want to spend this much, but was getting irritated at how often I was losing cards I wanted. This is a booklet card 1/1. What ultimately sold me to go for the gold was the Tatis Jr. I probably wouldn't have bought his autograph otherwise, but the combo of the 6X players, the Garvey, the 1/1 and Tatis made me push a little harder than normal. I paid dearly for this, especially considering it is a no-logo, but I did add Tatis (I had everyone else).

Bellinger, Turner, Tatis, Garvey, Walker and Galarraga. Not the greatest line-up on a card like this, but it works for me. I'd have rather seen 6X Dodgers.

6X.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
The hits keep coming. I went a little crazy and need to let off the gas a little bit for now.

Garvey /10. Garvey 10.jpg.

A pair of about 8x12 lithos that are signed. I stumbled upon this lot with a couple other junky items, cheap. I was surprised to win for under $15 (plus s/h of course). Not loving the munched corner, but they were cheap enough to not make it an issue.Garv Litho 1.jpgGarv Litho 2.jpg

I had these already, but thinking if I ever do any TTM stuff, this would be a nice run to have dupes of so I could break up the sets for the more obscure guys. 1987-1998 Mothers dodger sets. Mothers Dod Lot.jpg

My favorite piece for the day is a Hollywood contract, signed by Studio Executive James Mulvey. I figured this was probably the only way I get his signature. Mulvey had married into eventual Dodger ownership. When his wife's father (Stephen McKeever) died in 1938, she inherited 1/4 share of the Brooklyn Dodgers. The couple were minority owners from 1938 until her death in 1968 and his in 1973 at ther age of 74.

Mulvey was a long time acquaintance, confidant and employee of Samual Goldwyn and eventually rose to the rank of President, before resigning in 1960. He also held executive positions with the Dodgers and was a board member. This is a pretty sweet add for me. Would love to find one of his wife as well some day.

Last tidbit, apparently Ralph Branca married one of their daughters as well. Mulvey.png

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Another great mail day, but the bounty is drying up.

Garvey no name plate and another B&W. I really wish I had already known I had won the other one, because not as excited about Garvey dupes on the barand new stuff anymore. This one was even more than the first one I bought. That is what happens when you are buying too much crap at one time!

Garv No plate.jpgGarvey 50.jpg

Probstein must have received a large Manny Ramirez collection for consignment, as they have been listing a ton of low numbered MANRAM cards. Been chasing the Dodgers and losing out each time. Finally got one at a price I liked. This one is /18. Man Ram 18.jpg

This is a great pick-up, as a future Dodger, but sad it was in a Mets uniform. Still, a gold /5 from a set I really like and at what I thought was a great price too. Strawberry. Straw 5.jpg

Last item is a dupe, I believe, but won't know for sure until I put it away with my other Star Cal decals. I don't mind dupes on these anyways. It was a bit more than 10 cents though. Star Cal.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
A neat (and cheap!) addition to the collection. Looks like an ad sheet. The Procreation statues are somewhat of a mystery to begin with. I recall hearing that production was shutdown before a full run, at least in the case of Garvey, but I don't have anything to back that up with. The statues are fairly hard to find, which leads me to believe that is story is likely true. Garvey ProSport.jpg

This is all I could find on it from Worthpoint...seller claimed a fire destroyed inventory.

Screen Shot 2022-06-27 at 6.25.40 PM.png

A rather boring Leaf GU card, but is /6. Sorry, but no image of the player is a kiss of death for me, unless we are talking about some oddball or obscurity.Garvey 6.jpg

Last item is one I had seen several times. I finally made an offer and we settled on an agreeable price. Moon has since passed away and this one is 9/10, a jersey number match as a bonus that I only noticed today when I opened up the package. I seem to recall noticing it before, but clearly I forgot about it. I only really care for Garvey jersey # cards, but do notice here and there with others I have seen like Cey, Lopes and now Moon to name a few.

Moon 10.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Sutton /25. s-l1600-6.jpg

Earlier in my career, my company worked with the Mariners/Safeco Field and we received Christmas cards for several years. Me, being the pack rat and collector, always grabbed those before they got taped up with the others and discarded after the Holidays. Some pretty neat items that very few get a chance to have. I only wish I had that same chance with the Dodgers.

That leads me to this batch. A favorite seller of mind was offering a variety of Christmas cards, several from the Dodgers and all signed by someone with the club. I managed to win all that were being offered at the time. I hope some more get listed soon.

The most boring of the batch is one signed by Al Campanis. He was GM for a while and an easy signature (hence the boring comment), not sure if that comes from that time frame. s-l1600-3.jpgs-l1600-2.jpg

The next one features Tommy Lasorda on front and was signed by former GM Fred Claire. The signature was not shown in the listing, just said it was signed by staff. I have a bunch of Claire, so this one is not as exciting as the next two. s-l1600-4.jpg

Couldn't find a lot on this guy (does not help that there is a NBA player with the same name). Cliff Alexander was apparently a scout in at least parts of the 50s-60s, but had a brief taste of professional ball in 1937-38 for the Red Sox organization. He died in 1975. s-l1600.jpg

The prize in the lot is this somewhat generic looking card, but it was who signed it that makes it the score. It's signed by Owner Walter O'Malley! s-l1600-5.jpgs-l1600-1.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Another Don, this one /50. Good design and the gold will look great next to the red version and the black versions. s-l1600.jpg

A Garvey /25. Garvey 25.jpg

This guy arrived after almost a month in the USPS system, with no updates for almost 20 days in the middle! Banty Red. I don't love the pose, but it's an age appropriate image.Garvey Banty.jpg

Members online

Latest posts