Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MrMopar's New Dodgers Autograph Thread (and other interesting items on a slow mailday)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thelesquad

Dec 6, 2008
Garvey Chrome /50
View attachment 356599

Frank Robinson Team issue photo - Signed. Frank's stay in LA was brief and not a ton of stuff featured him as a Dodger. Always like to add new items when I can find them. Wish he would have played for them longer.
View attachment 356600

I enjoy supporting talented artists with custom cards and this is one oif the cooler items I have picked up so far. This item is large, close to 16" x 20", Its a modern homage to 1976 Hostess cards, made by Sporting Life. It's basically meat to be a POS counter display with easel back. They are top 3 customs in my opinion, at least those I have discovered. I don't mind spending money on these because they are usually much more creative than the run of the mill licensed manufactured stuff. Maybe they won't be in high demand, but then again you never know. I'll keep buying them for the time being.

The thought of Hostess issuing cards in 2024 is an interesting one. I'm sure if they did, they would be much slicker than the original box issued cards of the 70s and I probably wouldn't chase them like I did originally, but it would be cool to see a huge national set issued this way again. The problem is with the collectible market the way it is now, collectors would probably have a hard time finding the cards in stores (think Starting Line Ups of the 90s).
View attachment 356601

I thought that Hostess ad was "real" for a second and was thinking to myself how I had never seen that Ryno card before. It is nicely done.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
These were pretty sweet. It's missing the separate Hologram card, but I can live with that. /15
Garvey 15 F.pngGarvey 15 B.png
I probably have more Gonsolin autographs than any one human needs. I remember scrambling to add my first one after his debut. This one /56
Gonsolin BL 56.png
A guy who may not make it out of the minors, but he has a MLB card, so he joins the collection. This is a dupe though.
Braydon Fisher.png

Billy Cox gets very little hobby respect in general, a "common" among an amazing cast of teammates in the late 40s/early 50s. Cox was quite the glove master though. I had this card as a kid, but it was severely beat up. Still have that original card, but always nice to replace beaters with sharp copies.
Cox mrm.png

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Sometimes you have to cough up a bit more than you wanted to get something you are afraid you'll miss otherwise. I have only seen 2-3 of these posted for sale and they all sold faster and/or for more $ than i would have expected.

2023 Heritage Box Topper Auto.

I read that these box topper autos are supposed to be printed to 25 copies or fewer.

One showed up with a BIN/BO and my offer was countered and I decided to accept.

Now I just need to find a reasonably priced Burroughs/Garvey dual auto /25.

Garvey Heritage Boxtopper Au.png

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Finally won a Randolph Archives Dodger card. Nearly all, if not all, have been 1/1s. This is an oversized card that i don't love, but in the holder it's not bad. I feel like we are in another period of high competition on everything, at least that is the way it feels to me. Just about everything I seem to win lately is at my max bid and just about everything I lose, I was underbidder. I lose more than I win too. It gets frustrating quick and I don't really even collect anything hot or in high demand. Hoping for some softer markets ahead.
Randolph.png

Sutoon /50
Sutton 50.png

Wilson mini posters
Wilson Posters.png

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I missed that these were actually minis like the originals. I like it.
oUTMAN Heritage.png

Green /99
Green 99.png

Swan, the newest Bowman prospect Dodger.

Swan.png

Another FDI lot of Dodgers for relatively cheap. Love it!! Nothing like @Dilferules with his A's complete insert sets, but I would love to have more Dodger inserts. Especially since I stopped buying packs in any quantity around 25 years ago!
Dod FDI Lot.png

abide

Apr 29, 2021
I missed that these were actually minis like the originals. I like it.
View attachment 356877

Green /99
View attachment 356878

Swan, the newest Bowman prospect Dodger.

View attachment 356879

Another FDI lot of Dodgers for relatively cheap. Love it!! Nothing like @Dilferules with his A's complete insert sets, but I would love to have more Dodger inserts. Especially since I stopped buying packs in any quantity around 25 years ago!
View attachment 356880
I've got that 2023 Shawn Green ARchives auto /99 in my Shawn Green PC. I like getting Shawn Green autos on green parallels. Also the base of course, and also the blue color match, when it comes to Dodger uniform Shawn Green Autos. The more green the better. 2023 was a good year. The 2023 Finest Shawn Green parallels in green and green wave are the greenest of all. The Tribute is kind of weak, with just a green pinstripe.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I do enjoy Dodger autos with green as well. It compliments the blue well. I will have to check and see if I have the 4 card run for this Archives. I know I have blue and base, just can't remember if I landed the gold too.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I should stop collecting these jersey match serial numbered cards, but I can't. They often cost way too much and as I get closer to a quitting point, it makes no sense to overpay. I'd probably get 1/2 when it comes time to resell! Garvey 6/25
Garvey 6-25 mrm.png

Wills
Screen Shot 2024-05-24 at 6.04.20 PM.png

Sheehan. Was excited to see his first cards hit. they definitely overproduced him as a signature card though. i'll still try to get neat sets/designs, but I must have 10-15 of his autograph now.
Sheehan.png

Always happy to find people selling larger lots of randon Dodger stuff. Great way to get some neat oddball items and/or bargains. Had a some of this stuff already, but there were some new items and still worth grabbing.
Dod Lot.png

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
At $15 BIN, I grabbed another. They rarely show up that cheap, especially with Doby and Fingers being HOFers and the growing appreciation for the ***** League connections.
Garv Doby Fingers.png

Another jumbo, because they are cool.
Garv heritage jumbo.png
Pepiot (and this one turned out to be a refractor, but not advertised as such). Took a while to get this. Had a jackwad selling one before that reneged on me because it sold for less than he was expecting, twice! Joke's on you *****, this card isn't worth anywhere near what you thought it was!
Pepiot.png
Jamey Wright. Love to find the cards of guys who only did brief stints. There are a bunch out there where the sellers want mints for them, but I wait patiently for opportunities.
J Wright mrm.png

Danny Goodman signed letter, at least I hope it was him and not a secretarial. He was the director of merchandising for many years, so not sure how active he was with actual correspondence. Still cool item.
Goodman Ltr.png
A full season of Dodger Blue newspapers. I love this stuff. It was pretty cheap too ($20 = s/h) for 20 issues. A little later than the Garvey era, but some cool stuff like early Hershiser, Bill Madlock, Al Oliver, Enos Cabell, etc.
dodger blue.png

Lastly, Michael Young. Quite the hitter for Texas in his prime, but he spent the latter part of his final season in 2013 (21 games) with LA. Dodgers got him from the Phillies for cash and some scrub pitcher that never amounted to much of anything. He still hit .314 for the Dodgers. 6X 200 hit seasons (2375 lifetime), lifetime .300 hitter, 1 batting title, 7X AS (incl. MVP once), 1X Gold Glove. Very under appreciated in the hobby due to his shorter career (14 years).

This card is /50
Young 50.png

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Gonsolin /14
Gonsolin 14 mrm.png

Eovaldi /37

Eovaldi 37.png

Ramirez /7 (not a Dodger card, not that you could tell at first glance, but it fit with the pattern and he did play in LA
Ramirez 7.png
Loes
Loes.png
Gary Moore
G Moore.png

This really probably belongs in the regular P/U thread, but there is a Garvey included. Liked it more for the Reynolds pamphlet and the Stargell. Bonus Doerr not pictured.
Photo Au Lot - SPLIT SHIP.png

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Took me a while to get a Freeman Dodger auto. he shared it with Garvey. This is a solo Dodger auto. /25
Freeman 25 Korea.png
Garvey /21
Garvey 21 arch mrm.png
Gagne/50
Gagne mrm.png
Nunez /117
Nunez mrm.png

Garvey Studio /40
Garvey Studio 40 mrm.png

abide

Apr 29, 2021

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Pretty happy to land these, especially considering who shares the panels. That is always a risk with these customs. One is a correct panel and the other is a purposeful error in tribute to some of the errors Hostess made on their cards.
Garvey sportlife correct.png
Garvey Sportlike error.png

A couple more obscure Dodger autos from a ways back. John "Chief" Meyers was born in 1880 and died in 1971 just 3 days short of his 91st birthday. Of Native American descent, the nickname was probably more a sign of the times and his heritage, but he apparently embraced it as seen on this photo he signed. He played from 1909-1917 and was a top 10 MVP candidate for 3 consecutive years when the award was in its early days. Considered one of the better hitting catchers of the deadball era. He ended up with a career .291, which seems pretty low considering some of the insane batting averages contemporaries like Cobb and Wagner put up. He played for Brooklyn in 1916 and part of 1917, his final season.
Chief meyers.png
Bob Darnell, who played a total of 7 games for the 1954 and 1956 Dodgers (he missed the best season)! No decisions in 15.2 IP, but a solid 2.87 ERA. Darnell died in 1995 at age 64. His autograph seems especially sparse for a player of his era, who lived into the 90s. Would love to find an affordable (or even see one) 1955 Bowman signed by him.
Darnell.png

Bill Madlock Fan favorite /25
Madlock ff bLUE 25.png

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Crow.pngEspy.pngStrahler.png

Target cards are good substitutes for players who didn't have a mainstream Dodger card. In the case of Espy, for example, he had no Dodger card I am aware of for his 20 games as a rookie in 1983. Would have been cool if he was captured in the annual Police set of those days, but he was not. Anyway, he is clearly shown as a Ranger in this Dodger card, but it counts!

Got these 2 and the Pig is why I am sharing here. I need a dual signed of this card.
Bennett 2x.png

Furillo /15
Furillo 15.png

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Pretty happy to land these, especially considering who shares the panels. That is always a risk with these customs. One is a correct panel and the other is a purposeful error in tribute to some of the errors Hostess made on their cards.
View attachment 357220
View attachment 357221

A couple more obscure Dodger autos from a ways back. John "Chief" Meyers was born in 1880 and died in 1971 just 3 days short of his 91st birthday. Of Native American descent, the nickname was probably more a sign of the times and his heritage, but he apparently embraced it as seen on this photo he signed. He played from 1909-1917 and was a top 10 MVP candidate for 3 consecutive years when the award was in its early days. Considered one of the better hitting catchers of the deadball era. He ended up with a career .291, which seems pretty low considering some of the insane batting averages contemporaries like Cobb and Wagner put up. He played for Brooklyn in 1916 and part of 1917, his final season.
View attachment 357222
Bob Darnell, who played a total of 7 games for the 1954 and 1956 Dodgers (he missed the best season)! No decisions in 15.2 IP, but a solid 2.87 ERA. Darnell died in 1995 at age 64. His autograph seems especially sparse for a player of his era, who lived into the 90s. Would love to find an affordable (or even see one) 1955 Bowman signed by him.
View attachment 357223

Bill Madlock Fan favorite /25
View attachment 357224
Love the Chief Meyers auto. I still need a cut of his for my Glory of Their Times set.

rangers311

Mar 31, 2018
I love the Target cards! Rangers did a similar thing in their last year of Arlington Stadium in 1993. Every player, coach, and manager that appeared in a game from 1972-1993. Was hoping they would do it in the last season of Rangers Ballpark in Arlington.

Members online

Latest posts