Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

My cards and my mom

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY
I started collecting baseball cards in 1979 when I got my first pack from my dad's pharmacy. In that pack was a Reggie Jackson All Star and Paul Molitor. I went all in with 1980 Topps trading with friends.

My collection continued growing over the years and I would sort by stacks of teams. They covered my desk and floor. Not once did my mom complain about my collection. She let me be me and never moved or touched my cards, unlike some moms who would throw out their kids cards because they were in the way.

Mom was never one to complain or ever had a harsh word to say about anyone. She took on the servant role, taking care of my dad (who battled quadruple bypass sugery and cancer untill he passed away in 2001), my older sister (who almost died at an early age), my brother (who became a pharmacist like Dad), and me, the youngest who came down with diabetes at age 12. Always willing to make food for holidays and family parties.

On Monday, Mom went to be with Dad on his birthday, still serving until the end. Thank you Mom for the love you gave us all. Thank you Mom for letting me be me.

To all of you..be you. Collect what you like. Thank those who took care of you and count your blessings.

K34PuckettAddict

May 28, 2009
So sorry for your loss. Continue being you and cherish those memories!

I was fortunate to have a dad a lot like your mom was with my growing Puckett collection. I’d leave cards all over the place back then. He used to drive me all around town to any card show that popped up and always made sure I had enough money to buy all the Puckett’s I could find. I likely wouldn’t have collected cards for as long as I have if he wouldn’t have been so supportive.

He was always interested in seeing my new cards and would talk Puckett cards with me anytime, all the way to the end, I lost him in 2014.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Dazed

Aug 7, 2008
East of KC MO
Great memories! I'm lucky like you to have a mom that supports everyone around her. We live close and see each other at least once a week. If a day rarely goes by when we don't talk.

OakAth

Nov 30, 2009
Sorry for your loss.....sounds like you had a wonderful relationship with your mom. Keep those memories close. My first set build was 75' Topps minis, I think they were ten cents a pack.....my mom would give me all of her dimes so I could go to the corner market to buy them. Still have them all.

Mark76

Mar 7, 2021
Sorry for your loss.

My mom would help me sort all the cards and file them. She called it her secretary work.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I started collecting baseball cards in 1979 when I got my first pack from my dad's pharmacy. In that pack was a Reggie Jackson All Star and Paul Molitor. I went all in with 1980 Topps trading with friends.

My collection continued growing over the years and I would sort by stacks of teams. They covered my desk and floor. Not once did my mom complain about my collection. She let me be me and never moved or touched my cards, unlike some moms who would throw out their kids cards because they were in the way.

Mom was never one to complain or ever had a harsh word to say about anyone. She took on the servant role, taking care of my dad (who battled quadruple bypass sugery and cancer untill he passed away in 2001), my older sister (who almost died at an early age), my brother (who became a pharmacist like Dad), and me, the youngest who came down with diabetes at age 12. Always willing to make food for holidays and family parties.

On Monday, Mom went to be with Dad on his birthday, still serving until the end. Thank you Mom for the love you gave us all. Thank you Mom for letting me be me.

To all of you..be you. Collect what you like. Thank those who took care of you and count your blessings.
Very sorry to hear. I lost my mom almost a year ago in a week or so, although it was certainly not a surprise at 92. It's never easy regardless.

My collecting story started a year prior to yours and my mom was definitely an ally when it came to my cards, as she would sometimes pick up things for at the store or make me aware of things, like mail in offers or food items and would go out of her way to buy the cereal with the Kelloggs cards or the Twinkie boxes with cards vs those w/o.

She also bought me the greatest gift ever, even to this day, the Topps book that pictures every card from 1951 to 1985 (the year she bought it). I had no clue it existed or that it was coming and love it to this day.

Members online