Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

My once in a lifetime mailday........................................... ....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steve-a-reno

Aug 7, 2008
There are moments in collecting of pure joy, relief, and satisfaction. For me, this is one of them, probably THE one. A few years ago I got into signed vintage stuff. Along w/ collecting hofers, tough old sigs, rcs, I decided to go for an entire print run of base bowman and topps of one of my all-time favorite players, 500 hr club, and hofer Eddie Mathews. Mathews is Mr. Brave to me. The only player to play in Boston, Mil., and Atl. He was often overshadowed by Hank Aaron, but no doubt one of the main reasons of Hank's success was Mathews protecting him in the line up. He was about loyalty. He was even overshadowed and overlooked when he passed away, which always ate at me (died the day after Dale Earnhardt died and was barely mentioned). Anyway, during my psa dna vintage collection of Mathews I had to come to the realization that I probably would never be able to find, let alone afford, a 1952 topps high number Mathews RC. In the circles of vintage I've found I've only found 2-3, which were always tucked deeply in someone elses collection. From accounts I'd heard people only recalled seeing one anywhere from five to ten years ago, or never. This makes perfect sense due to the 52 set, it being a high number, and people not wanting to risk having ink on such a hard to find and high end card. Fast forward to this week, I finally located one, made an offer, and purchased the 52, with the help of a guy named Bill Me Later. Thanks Bill

Sorry for the long read, I am just super excited. Here is my new favorite card of my collection, holy grail, white whale, etc. .......

em.jpg

Keyser Soze

Nov 9, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
Amazing card man. I meant to ask about the big purchase you kept referring to but was distracted trying to work out a deal with you. FANTASTIC pickup, and while it won't be THAT nice, you'll have another good mail day coming from me later this week.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Thank you for the read, Steve ! I, about 5 years ago, thought about dabbling with Mathews. Absolutely love the card and congrats !!!

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Wow, amazing card! One of the most valuable post-war cards in that hobby. And they're usually found beat up because it was the last card in the set.
Spectacular card and autograph!

steve-a-reno

Aug 7, 2008
Thanks so much guys for all the compliments! I'll post the entire print run when I get everything back from being slabbed.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
There are moments in collecting of pure joy, relief, and satisfaction. For me, this is one of them, probably THE one. A few years ago I got into signed vintage stuff. Along w/ collecting hofers, tough old sigs, rcs, I decided to go for an entire print run of base bowman and topps of one of my all-time favorite players, 500 hr club, and hofer Eddie Mathews. Mathews is Mr. Brave to me. The only player to play in Boston, Mil., and Atl. He was often overshadowed by Hank Aaron, but no doubt one of the main reasons of Hank's success was Mathews protecting him in the line up. He was about loyalty. He was even overshadowed and overlooked when he passed away, which always ate at me (died the day after Dale Earnhardt died and was barely mentioned). Anyway, during my psa dna vintage collection of Mathews I had to come to the realization that I probably would never be able to find, let alone afford, a 1952 topps high number Mathews RC. In the circles of vintage I've found I've only found 2-3, which were always tucked deeply in someone elses collection. From accounts I'd heard people only recalled seeing one anywhere from five to ten years ago, or never. This makes perfect sense due to the 52 set, it being a high number, and people not wanting to risk having ink on such a hard to find and high end card. Fast forward to this week, I finally located one, made an offer, and purchased the 52, with the help of a guy named Bill Me Later. Thanks Bill

Sorry for the long read, I am just super excited. Here is my new favorite card of my collection, holy grail, white whale, etc. .......

em.jpg

Wholly smokes bud, The card itself is hard enough then add the auto and ....................... BOOM! Amazing amazing card and well worth Bill me later. Incredible pick up!

Members online

Latest posts