Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

My Take on the Memphis University Bball Program...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KandKCards

Aug 8, 2008
Not trying to be a ****** here, but it's quite clear that you are not very informed on the topic. And I'm in no way defending Memphis and Coach Cal's cheating; I hate that stuff as much as anyone.

ProspectHussler

Dec 23, 2008
Chi-town
KandK - Cool man. Respect your opinion. Care to elaborate? I obviously realize that these individuals bring in revenue to their schools, I still think you shouldn't be given a pass to cheat on your SAT just because you are a talented athlete. UG had the guts to say no to Dozier after realizing that his C - average in no way correlated to his 1200+ SAT score.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
ProspectHussler said:
KandK - Cool man. Respect your opinion. Care to elaborate? I obviously realize that these individuals bring in revenue to their schools, I still think you shouldn't be given a pass to cheat on your SAT just because you are a talented athlete. UG had the guts to say no to Dozier after realizing that his C - average in no way correlated to his 1200+ SAT score.
You should have went to my high school when we had random drug testing. The football team would randomly miss taking it every time. In some places, sports are just worth more. I don't agree with it, but I learned to accept it, roll with it, and use it to my benefit.

ProspectHussler

Dec 23, 2008
Chi-town
Thanks for your input. I'll be running bi-weekly giveaways on my blog and the more you comment the more you'll be able to win. Appreciate the comment!

KandKCards

Aug 8, 2008
ProspectHussler said:
You are spot in with SATs, and I think SAT standards are way too low as it is. I meant more in terms of what a "student athlete" really is. Sure, it varies from school to school, but they deserve a LOT more credit than you give them.

BGSRCGUY

Aug 7, 2008
Orange County
KandKCards said:
ProspectHussler said:
You are spot in with SATs, and I think SAT standards are way too low as it is. I meant more in terms of what a "student athlete" really is. Sure, it varies from school to school, but they deserve a LOT more credit than you give them.

It depends on the school/Sport associated with it. Good luck with the blog and nice read!

KandKCards

Aug 8, 2008
ProspectorsAdvantage said:
KandKCards said:
ProspectHussler said:

It depends on the school/Sport associated with it. Good luck with the blog and nice read!
To an extent, yes, but it's not nearly as much as you think.

BGSRCGUY

Aug 7, 2008
Orange County
KandKCards said:
KandKCards said:
ProspectHussler said:

At my school it for sure is. I have a friend on a National powerhouse contender and a friend on a team at the same school that is terrible. They get treated way way differently.

ProspectHussler

Dec 23, 2008
Chi-town
I personally know a player at Butler University on a basketball schollie, and from what he tells me he definetly gets catered to in the classroom - he was a C student in high school. That doesn't take away from the fact that he works his ass off on the court, however. I guess the most difficult thing about college athletics is juggling academics with the time you put into practice. At a D3 college like I attend, teachers care less if your on the basketball team, but if your on the basketball team in a D1 program like Butler, its foolish to think you aren't gonna get some free passes.

But thats just a small sampling of schools.

OnOnUofK

May 17, 2009
What I don't understand is how the players that do this are not penalized in any way. Memphis might be looking at a hefty penalty, but DRose and Dozier are not really affected. I would like for the NBA to reverse the one year rule. I know it doesn't effect Dozier in any way, but players like D Rose and OJ Mayo are killing programs. Guys who can't keep their grades up should either be able to go pro or swallow their pride and go the JUCO route.

Great read btw. Big fan of the blog

KandKCards

Aug 8, 2008
OnOnUofK said:
What I don't understand is how the players that do this are not penalized in any way. Memphis might be looking at a hefty penalty, but DRose and Dozier are not really affected. I would like for the NBA to reverse the one year rule. I know it doesn't effect Dozier in any way, but players like D Rose and OJ Mayo are killing programs. Guys who can't keep their grades up should either be able to go pro or swallow their pride and go the JUCO route.

Great read btw. Big fan of the blog
Or the coach. Any coach who claims ignorance is lying through his teeth. There is no D1 coach in the country who doesn't know everything about what's going on in his program.
They actually have changed the rules to prevent these guys from hurting them. The new APR (academic progress rate) also has a new thing where schools don't get punished for kids leaving early, but they do get penalized for kids leaving early who had bad academic records when they left.

KandKCards

Aug 8, 2008
KandKCards said:
KandKCards said:
ProspectHussler said:

At my school it for sure is. I have a friend on a National powerhouse contender and a friend on a team at the same school that is terrible. They get treated way way differently.
I probably came across wrong. They absolutely get treated differently, but I get tired of hearing this "student athlete doesn't exist" stuff. There are the extremes of guys who aren't students at all and the other end is walk-ons who get straight A's, but those aren't the norm. But could they all be better students? Absolutely.
I also was referring to the public speaking thing. I don't know a basketball program in the country who doesn't have every one of their players take at least one public speaking course early in their careers.

Members online

Latest posts