Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

new extra innings rule being tested in the minors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
There's more to the article.

In addition to placing a runner on second to start the inning, all hitters will be allowed to use multiple bats and decide which pitches are balls and strikes.

"We are also considering moving the left field wall in and placing it about 15 feet behind third" continued Manfred.

DTA

craiger122003

Aug 7, 2008
vegas
That will never make it to the majors. The ONLY way it will is if it happens starting in the 15th inning.
Even then its a sign of half ass forfeiting the game. Still in the end I say no way it happens.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
Stupid. I don't see it making it to the majors. This is also done in beer league softball too. Maybe they should implement the force line on the third base line so when a player passes that line, they have to go home and it's a force play. That'll cut down on collisions at the plate too.

I also don't like the new intentional walk rule. It happens what, maybe once or twice a game if that and can save a whole 30 seconds to a minute. If baseball is losing fans over finishing 30 seconds later, then it as a sport is too far gone. I understand that we as a society are fast paced now and understand baseball needs to adapt. The main reason games take so long these days is not because the intentional walk and saving a few seconds here or there, but because it's evolving into a bullpen game that relies so heavily on bullpens and matchups. So many pitching changes and mound visits is what's lengthening the game and slowing down the action.

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY
Does this mean that the batter at the top of the order in the extra inning automatically takes second base? What if it is a power hitter who is slow on the base path, will the manager substitute a pinch runner? Will the hitter/runner on second base be credited with a double walk? Will the pitcher be charged with a double walk? Everyone knows that baseball is a game of statistics and I wonder how they will account for the changes and if they will create a new category.

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
They discussed this on MLB Network last night. Said it would be great at Rookie Ball level to teach situational hitting and pitching. What to do with a runner on, how to hit, what to pitch and how to be postioned in the field. Made sense to me as the best way to learn is in a game situation. It'll never make it to MLB.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Does this mean that the batter at the top of the order in the extra inning automatically takes second base? What if it is a power hitter who is slow on the base path, will the manager substitute a pinch runner? Will the hitter/runner on second base be credited with a double walk? Will the pitcher be charged with a double walk? Everyone knows that baseball is a game of statistics and I wonder how they will account for the changes and if they will create a new category.

I think Steve Balboni and benji molina should be every teams "dr" (designated runner)

DTA

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
I would guess it would be whoever made the last out the inning before would then start at 2nd.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
There's more to the article.

In addition to placing a runner on second to start the inning, all hitters will be allowed to use multiple bats and decide which pitches are balls and strikes.

"We are also considering moving the left field wall in and placing it about 15 feet behind third" continued Manfred.

DTA

The quote in bold confuses me. If this were to happen why wouldn't every batter in the inning just stand there and say everything is a ball and then walk in a run to win?

Despite the confusion I just don't see something like this ever making it to the majors.

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
The quote in bold confuses me. If this were to happen why wouldn't every batter in the inning just stand there and say everything is a ball and then walk in a run to win?

Despite the confusion I just don't see something like this ever making it to the majors.

i think your sarcasm meter needs a new battery.....though i personally didnt find it all that funny , i am quite sure he was joking.....

edit to add - just noticed your location now.....exactly where in sc are you ? i officially live in columbia though i'm still staying in newberry until i can get my house repaired.....

Last edited:

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I think they should start the rule in the 13th inning since I would guess most extra inning contests end by the 12th inning or earlier.

Also, put the runner on 1st. Seems too boring to start the runner on 2nd, sac bunt him to 3rd and then have two cracks to bring in the runner through sac fly, base hit, or properly placed groundout.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
i think your sarcasm meter needs a new battery.....though i personally didnt find it all that funny , i am quite sure he was joking.....

edit to add - just noticed your location now.....exactly where in sc are you ? i officially live in columbia though i'm still staying in newberry until i can get my house repaired.....

lol, yeah I may need to go pick up a new set of batteries off Amazon. A little slow on the uptick.

I live in Pelzer which is sort of the country & about 15 minutes away from Greenville. I just moved here about six months ago so still getting familiar with the landscape but I believe Columbia is like a few hours away from here although I've never been down that way. It's a drastic change from Arizona, the weather, the scenery & the people/community but I have found myself saying "ya'll" a lot more often so I must be settling in a bit.

Members online