Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

New Pickup! Lou Gehrig Style ... Plus ... Customs!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
When I first started creating custom cards for my collection, it was mainly because Canseco wasn't found in some of the newer releases that I wished he had been included in. While creating new cards were fun, I also wanted to try my hand at recreating my favorite player on one of the most iconic cards, ever: 1934 Goudey.

About 7 years ago or so, I picked up some 2008 Goudey to draw inspiration from.

20140325_1909011.jpg

I absolutely loved the bottom of this. My wife suggested I create a card with me at the bottom instead!

jeter.jpg

Using this picture ...

me.jpg

and this hat from a guy who looks a lot like me (right?) ...

BradPittMoneyball.jpg

I created this!

tanman.jpg

The background artwork of 1934 Goudey always reminded me of some sort of a ski slope. I don't know why.

20140325_190901-1024x354.jpg

I thought I'd have a bit of fun with a custom ...

bounce.jpg

For those of you who don’t remember, let me refresh your memory...

CANSECO_52893_2749541-746x1024.jpg

Poor, poor Jose. I *loathe* watching those “Baseball’s 100 goofiest plays” countdown shows – #1 is always, ALWAYS my main man having the ball bounce off his head, over the fence for a home run.

As a result, I created this!
20140325_191016.jpg

The creation of this card was really at the very beginning of my Canseco supercollecting journey. It may even pre-date it, I don't recall, but it highlights the fact that I love 1934 Goudey...even before I was a vintage collector! Fast forward several years, I find myself hopelessly in love with pre-war cardboard.

Part of the fun about collecting vintage cards for me is being able to acquire cards that I remember as a child. Not cards that I had, but rather, cards that graced the covers of price guides and magazines.

In 2019, (5 years after I created the above card) I went on a mission to pick up some of the most iconic cards ever, from some of the best players to ever play the game. One of which was Lou Gehrig's most famous card, ever: 1934 Goudey with the yellow background. I picked it up for about $1,700. I sold it, along with most all of my vintage about a year later in 2020 ... you know ... before the prices started getting crazy. Ugh!

I started looking up prices so I could hopefully get another in my collection, and to my dismay, the card (rightfully so) increased tremendously. The last 3 PSA 3s have sold for between $5,500 (severely cracked case) and $7,500.

The other day, I found a friend of mine was selling his. I hit him up, and we ended up working a cash/trade deal! That single card came with a LOT of packaging ...

20210507_135008.jpg

I am once again, happy to say that I am the proud owner of the card with the best dimples in the biz - the happiest card ever made! The 1934 Goudey Lou Gehrig:

20210507_142706.jpg

Making goofy Canseco cards sure is fun, but having THE Gehrig is simply next level. I can't stop staring at it, and love it way more than than I did the first time!

I figured it would make sense to put it together with my Ruth. So here they are together. The engine of arguably baseball's most insane lineup ever: Murderer's Row.

ruthgehrig.jpg

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
When I first started creating custom cards for my collection, it was mainly because Canseco wasn't found in some of the newer releases that I wished he had been included in. While creating new cards were fun, I also wanted to try my hand at recreating my favorite player on one of the most iconic cards, ever: 1934 Goudey.

20140325_1909011.jpg

I absolutely loved the bottom of this. My wife suggested I create a card with me at the bottom instead!

jeter.jpg

Using this picture ...

me.jpg

BradPittMoneyball.jpg

I created this!

tanman.jpg

The background artwork of 1934 Goudey always reminded me of some sort of a ski slope. I don't know why.

bounce.jpg

Poor, poor Jose. I *loathe* watching those “Baseball’s 100 goofiest plays” countdown shows – #1 is always, ALWAYS my main man having the ball bounce off his head, over the fence for a home run.

20140325_191016.jpg

The creation of this card was really at the very beginning of my Canseco supercollecting journey. It may even pre-date it, I don't recall, but it highlights the fact that I love 1934 Goudey...even before I was a vintage collector! Fast forward several years, I find myself hopelessly in love with pre-war cardboard.

Part of the fun about collecting vintage cards for me is being able to acquire cards that I remember as a child. Not cards that I had, but rather, cards that graced the covers of price guides and magazines.

In 2019, (5 years after I created the above card) I went on a mission to pick up some of the most iconic cards ever, from some of the best players to ever play the game. One of which was Lou Gehrig's most famous card, ever: 1934 Goudey with the yellow background. I picked it up for about $1,700. I sold it, along with most all of my vintage about a year later in 2020 ... you know ... before the prices started getting crazy. Ugh!

I started looking up prices so I could hopefully get another in my collection, and to my dismay, the card (rightfully so) increased tremendously. The last 3 PSA 3s have sold for between $5,500 (severely cracked case) and $7,500.

The other day, I found a friend of mine was selling his. I hit him up, and we ended up working a cash/trade deal! That single card came with a LOT of packaging ...

20210507_135008.jpg

I am once again, happy to say that I am the proud owner of the card with the best dimples in the biz - the happiest card ever made! The 1934 Goudey Lou Gehrig:

20210507_142706.jpg

Making goofy Canseco cards sure is fun, but having THE Gehrig is simply next level. I can't stop staring at it, and love it way more than than I did the first time!

I figured it would make sense to put it together with my Ruth. So here they are together. The engine of arguably baseball's most insane lineup ever: Murderer's Row.

ruthgehrig.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

BarryBonds762

Feb 9, 2021

20140325_1909011.jpg

jeter.jpg

Using this picture ...

me.jpg

BradPittMoneyball.jpg

I created this!

tanman.jpg

bounce.jpg

20140325_191016.jpg

20210507_135008.jpg

20210507_142706.jpg

ruthgehrig.jpg
How do you make your own custom cards? Really awesome Canseco card. Is the back blank? The player over his shoulder with the ball bouncing off his head is genius.

mouschi

May 18, 2012
First saw this on facebook oddly enough. I had the pin hole comment.
Oh man, I think I missed it! I guess your name didn't register with me when I saw it.

How do you make your own custom cards? Really awesome Canseco card. Is the back blank? The player over his shoulder with the ball bouncing off his head is genius.
Thanks! It does have a back - here is a video tutorial I put together a while ago that talks a bit about what I do!

BarryBonds762

Feb 9, 2021
Oh man, I think I missed it! I guess your name didn't register with me when I saw it.

Thanks! It does have a back - here is a video tutorial I put together a while ago that talks a bit about what I do!
Awesome thanks! I have been wanting to make a custom card set of the Zephyr skateboard team from 1970.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
I use a Cricut for mine, but I CANNOT ever get it to line up. I will tell it to cut in an exact location and it will cut 2mm off, which makes the card look terrible. Any advice on what I am doing wrong? (I'm sure it is obvious)

EDIT: I am using 4x6 prints from Walgreens, not the full 8x10 pages.

mouschi

May 18, 2012
I use a Cricut for mine, but I CANNOT ever get it to line up. I will tell it to cut in an exact location and it will cut 2mm off, which makes the card look terrible. Any advice on what I am doing wrong? (I'm sure it is obvious)

EDIT: I am using 4x6 prints from Walgreens, not the full 8x10 pages.
Good question! I have a cricut as well. Make sure you run the calibration on it... but one thing that gave me an issue is I had mine on an uneven surface so make sure it is even.

Members online