Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

NL Playoffs - 3 Way Tie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
If the Phils and Padres hang on and win today, should the Phillies let the Braves win tomorrow and hope the Padres win again Sunday to force a three way tie?

What happens? A one game playoff for the NL West then a one game playoff for the Wild Card?

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
tpeichel said:
If the Phils and Padres hang on and win today, should the Phillies let the Braves win tomorrow and hope the Padres win again Sunday to force a three way tie?

What happens? A one game playoff for the NL West then a one game playoff for the Wild Card?

I could be wrong but the Braves would get the Wild Card by default and there would be a one game playoff for the West.

The loser of that one game playoff would then officially have one more loss than the Braves (as it counts as a regular season game) and the Braves would have a 1/2 game lead over the WC.

Jan 15, 2009
markakis8 said:
tpeichel said:

I could be wrong but the Braves would get the Wild Card by default and there would be a one game playoff for the West.

The loser of that one game playoff would then officially have one more loss than the Braves (as it counts as a regular season game) and the Braves would have a 1/2 game lead over the WC.
You are:

Outcome:
Monday -- San Francisco at San Diego for NL West title
Tuesday -- SFO/SDG loser at Atlanta for NL wild card

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
GiantsSuperCollector said:
markakis8 said:
tpeichel said:

You are:

Outcome:

Someone on the SFG/SDG teams (if they've played every game) would have a chance to break the all-time record for games played in a season then - 164!

Jan 15, 2009
markakis8 said:
markakis8 said:
tpeichel said:

You are:

Outcome:

Someone on the SFG/SDG teams (if they've played every game) would have a chance to break the all-time record for games played in a season then - 164!
The most be Chase Headley who has played 159 games, maybe 160 today. So he would have gotten to 163.

Nate Colbert 17

Aug 10, 2008
Texas
I have been a Padre fan since 1969. As sweet as 1984 and 1998 were, this club (win or lose tomorrow) has been something special to watch.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
Scottopotamus said:
I have been a Padre fan since 1969. As sweet as 1984 and 1998 were, this club (win or lose tomorrow) has been something special to watch.

I'm pulling for the Pads so we can see a three way tie and get some do or die games on Monday and Tuesday. What's the pitching matchup tomorrow?

sdsportsfan1214

Aug 14, 2008
San Diego
tpeichel said:
Scottopotamus said:

I'm pulling for the Pads so we can see a three way tie and get some do or die games on Monday and Tuesday. What's the pitching matchup tomorrow?
Latos vs Sanchez

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
sdsportsfan1214 said:
tpeichel said:
Scottopotamus said:

Latos vs Sanchez

How about the one-game playoff after the Pads win?

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
tpeichel said:
sdsportsfan1214 said:
tpeichel said:
Scottopotamus said:

Latos vs Sanchez

How about the one-game playoff after the Pads win?

IF the Pads win tomorrow Lincecum will pitch for the Giants on Monday. Not sure who the Pads will pitch.

scottagibson

Aug 3, 2009
markakis8 said:
tpeichel said:

You are:

Outcome:

Are you sure about this? I heard an announcer say Friday that the Padres would win the division with a sweep of the giants based on head-to-head record versus the giants in the regular season. I'm not saying for certain that this is true, but i know i heard that and I would assume he would know what he was talking about saying it on the air.

Jan 15, 2009
scottagibson said:
markakis8 said:
tpeichel said:

You are:

Outcome:

Are you sure about this? I heard an announcer say Friday that the Padres would win the division with a sweep of the giants based on head-to-head record versus the giants in the regular season. I'm not saying for certain that this is true, but i know i heard that and I would assume he would know what he was talking about saying it on the air.
No they wouldn't that is completely incorrect.

padremurph

Aug 7, 2010
scottagibson said:
markakis8 said:
tpeichel said:

You are:

Outcome:

No they wouldn't that is completely incorrect.

Pretty sure if the Padres win and the Braves lose, there is no playoff. Both teams would be in and the Padres would win the West based on head to head. This is what I'm hoping for.

I'm hoping Latos can have one of his dominating performances.

Jayplus

Aug 22, 2010
Being a giants fan, I'm hoping Sanchez can take care of his business tomorrow. Let's go giants!

xcantgobackx

Aug 20, 2008
Jersey Shore
Head to head statistics, etc.. only determine who wins a division or wild card if both teams are definitely in the playoff. Like the Yanks/Rays situation.

A one game playoff is only needed if one team is going to the playoffs and one team is going home.

And yes, if the Braves and Padres both win today, we will see TWO one game playoffs. This is what I am rooting for.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
I posted a result table yesterday...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=107211

Phillies and Giants win Sunday. The Giants win the NL West. The Padres and Braves tie for the Wild Card and have a one-game playoff Monday at Turner Field. If the Padres win, they play the Phillies in the NLDS. If the Braves win, the Reds play the Phillies in the NLDS.

Phillies and Padres win. The Braves are eliminated. The Padres and Giants finish with the same record. The Padres would be NL West champions because they won the season series against the Giants. The Giants would be Wild Card champions and play the Phillies in the NLDS.

Braves and Giants win. The Padres are eliminated. The Giants win the NL West. The Braves win the Wild Card. The Phillies play the Reds in the NLDS.

Braves and Padres win. The Padres and Giants finish with the same record and play a one-game playoff Monday at Petco Park in San Diego. The winner is NL West champion. The loser flies to Atlanta for a one-game playoff Tuesday. The winner is Wild Card champion. In that scenario, if the Giants or Padres beat Atlanta on Tuesday, they would play four games in four days in four cities: Sunday in San Francisco, Monday in San Diego, Tuesday in Atlanta and Wednesday in Philadelphia.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
Jeff N. said:
I posted a result table yesterday...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=107211

Phillies and Giants win Sunday. The Giants win the NL West. The Padres and Braves tie for the Wild Card and have a one-game playoff Monday at Turner Field. If the Padres win, they play the Phillies in the NLDS. If the Braves win, the Reds play the Phillies in the NLDS.

Phillies and Padres win. The Braves are eliminated. The Padres and Giants finish with the same record. The Padres would be NL West champions because they won the season series against the Giants. The Giants would be Wild Card champions and play the Phillies in the NLDS.

Braves and Giants win. The Padres are eliminated. The Giants win the NL West. The Braves win the Wild Card. The Phillies play the Reds in the NLDS.

Braves and Padres win. The Padres and Giants finish with the same record and play a one-game playoff Monday at Petco Park in San Diego. The winner is NL West champion. The loser flies to Atlanta for a one-game playoff Tuesday. The winner is Wild Card champion. In that scenario, if the Giants or Padres beat Atlanta on Tuesday, they would play four games in four days in four cities: Sunday in San Francisco, Monday in San Diego, Tuesday in Atlanta and Wednesday in Philadelphia.

I like that last scenario. The Phillies need to let the Braves win today to help them make the playoffs. Not only to try and the get the three way tie scenario, but the Phillies own the Braves right now and would have a huge advantage against them if they met in the playoffs.

Members online

No members online now.