Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

No Home Run Derby for Harper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
If he winds up being good I'm sure he'll have the opportunity to do it in the future.

In the meantime, there are plenty of other guys in the league who can hit bombs.

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
I still don't see how it can jack with your swing that much. At least not any more than jacking some in batting practice. I mean, they are all meatballs, slowly pitched, and you are taking your time. How does that mess up your swing?

it DOES mess a swing up.... anyone who has played upper level ball will know this..... BTW most MLB players dont try to hit HR every swing in BP.
Also the BP pitches may be slower in speed, but the reaction time is roughly the same as a real game pitch (because the BP pitcher throws from 50'-55', instead of 60.5')

Harper doesnt belong in a HR Derby, he rarely hits them, and his slug% is now below .500..... there are 30 other guys Id rather see in it that actually hit HRs more often than "wiffkid Harper"

Last edited:

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Forget Harper, he's not exactly an exciting power hitter right now anyway. Unless there are special circumstances, why would anyone expect much of a performance from someone with less than 10 HR before the AS break? Speaking of special circumstances, I'd love to see Ichiro finally participate in one of these. With all the stories of how he can put on a show in batting practice, it would be awesome for the TV audience get to see that. And if Ichiro gets in, go ahead and put Hideki Matsui in there, too, since this will likely be his last season in the MLB.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Rumor has it, Selig wants the Home Run Derby to count for something. Apparently, starting next season, each team will nominate one of their own to represent the team in the Derby. The final standings of the Derby will determine the 2013 MLB Draft order. Most HR, gets the #1 pick.

If a team does not get an HR, they forfeit not only their first 4 picks, but are also eliminated from playoff contention regardless of standings.

Should finally get interesting.

Last edited:

PujolsCollector

Jan 17, 2011
St.Louis
Rumor has it, Selig wants the Home Run Derby to count for something. Apparently, starting next season, each team will nominate one of their own to represent the team in the Derby. The final standings of the Derby will determine the 2013 MLB Draft order. Most HR, gets the #1 pick.

If a team does not get an HR, they forfeit not only their first 4 picks, but are also eliminated from playoff contention regardless of standings.

Should finally get interesting.

Hahah. That sounds like something that selig aka Doomsday Comish would do.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Kemp can say what he wants, but to not pick Harper for the HR Derby is a slap in the face to all baseball fans alike. Everyone I know, like him or not, wanted to see him in the Derby. Kemp as the NL rep should have known this and given the fans what they want. To deliberatly not pick him was a specific choice he made, one that did not have the best interest of fans or the MLB in mind. Having said that, his intention could not have been anything but selfish.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
it DOES mess a swing up.... anyone who has played upper level ball will know this..... BTW most MLB players dont try to hit HR every swing in BP.
Also the BP pitches may be slower in speed, but the reaction time is roughly the same as a real game pitch (because the BP pitcher throws from 50'-55', instead of 60.5')

I'm aware they aren't trying to hit every pitch out in BP. You can see them working on different things. But please do explain how it screws with your swing? I'm curious.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont

Harper doesnt belong in a HR Derby, he rarely hits them, and his slug% is now below .500..... there are 30 other guys Id rather see in it that actually hit HRs more often than "wiffkid Harper"

Look at Cano since he won the Home Run Derby! Ruined!

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
Harper does not belong, period. It's nothing against him, but he's not deserving. The real home run hitters are the ones who should be in this. From the AL it should be; Hamilton, Dunn, Bautista, Encarnacion, Granderson, Ortiz, Jones, Cano. I know only 4 can participate and Cano is one of them, but the other 3 should be the first 3 names on the list. For the NL; Beltran, Braun, Gonzalez, Stanton, Bruce.

I would have Cano, Hamilton, Dunn, and Bautista for the AL. Kemp, Beltran, Stanton, Gonzalez or Bruce for the NL.

Regardless of what you think of each player, those are the captains and the guys mashing the ball. How do you take Harper over any of those NL guys? To help sell your stash? That's the only logical reason I can think of.

As for the fans, I must know the wrong people. Of all the people that I talk baseball with, I have not heard one of them say they think Harper should be in the Derby.

Before I get torn to pieces, I am a fan of Harper. You can search through my posts and see that. I like the kid, I like his hustle, and I want him to succeed. I'm just tired of hearing about everything he does. Chill the XXXX out. He may indeed be an all-time great when it's all said and done, but lets wait until then to anoint him.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
I love his hustle, most seem too.......however watch the reply from last nights game; he clearly blew off the signal and should have been gunned down at second.......it was not even close. He would be great for the HRD but not this year.

lonesomeagle1

Aug 7, 2008
Northwest NJ
Harper does not belong, period. It's nothing against him, but he's not deserving. The real home run hitters are the ones who should be in this. .

Where does anyone think that he is DESERVING. Only 7 HR's to date, pretty much average. Maybe in a few years. Personally, I think he will be a middle -better player in the years to come. JMHO
Flame on.................

Frow

Where does anyone think that he is DESERVING. Only 7 HR's to date, pretty much average. Maybe in a few years. Personally, I think he will be a middle -better player in the years to come. JMHO
Flame on.................

Brady Anderson agrees with your sentiment. No one so few HR deserves to engage in this meaningless exposition. We must hold our glorified BP to a higher standard.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

Last edited:

Members online