Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

November Arrivals 2023

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Glad to see I am not starting this month's thread on the 3rd!

A trio of Aaron autographs, but not the guy we normally see. The 70 Tommie Aaron sticks in my mind well. I remember really liking that card when I was a kid. Tommie died well before his brother Henry, in 1984, at the age of 45 from Leukemia. His 13 career HRs, 8 in his rookie season, helped propel the due to the top of the All Time HR list for MLB brothers.
Aaron Lot.jpg

Jewell Loyd.

Bartell drugs, which I believe is a local drug store chain, had these sets available a few years back around Christmas time. They were $25 if I recall, with some or all proceeds going to Seattle Children's Hospital. The set was filled with local Seattle celebrities, the checklist has some impressive names but was by no means a comprehensive list. There were non-sports folks too. Each set included a signed card. I figured this would be a decent purchase, even if I struck out on the autographs and you can't beat helping a charity at the same time! Besides names like Russell Wilson, Gary Payton, Ken Griffey Jr, there were some fairly uninspiring names like Charlie Furbush and Spencer Hawes. In addition to the 22 "celebrity" checklist, 3 kids who were patients of the hospital signed cards as well. Now, this can probably only sound insensitive, but I can imagine that pretty much only family and friends and perhaps some completists out there would have wanted those 3 signatures. It was definitely a factor in making a decision to buy a set, despite the charitable aspect. Clearly there were not going to be equal signatures of all subjects and odds had you probably pulling a card of one of the kids.

Didn't matter, because the day I heard about the sets and tried to go online to buy one (or more), I couldn't find a single set available. I was not about to relive my Starting Line Up horror stories and drive around, trying to find sets at the drug stores. i am fairly certain that would have just wasted my time and gas. As usual, the sets were likely gobbled up by people planning to resell them and the everyday collector was left in the cold.

I have since added Kyle Seager and now Jewell Loyd. I'd add a few more if I could find reasonably prices copies, but they seem to have settled and fallen into collections after almost 3 years. Really, the only ones left I'd even want out of the 25 card set are Griffey & Wilson (yeah, forget it) then L. Wilkens, G. Payton, D. Schremph, A. Clark, E. Martinez, D. Wilson and M. Haniger. That isn't even 1/2 of the set for my taste. Too bad there were no other "vintage" players. They set could have really been great with the likes of Steve Largent, Freddie Brown, Ruppert Jones, Alvin Davis and some other fan favorites over the years.

Loyd.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
McLain.jpg. Showing this since it arrived today, but it's going back. I didn't catch the oddness of the signature originally, but when the package arrived today, I could see that a ballpoint signature had been traced over with sharpie. Damn shame too.

Lithwiler.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I think this was new, I stopped keeping track after this last season. Slowly adding the archives /25 when I can find decent deals. Tenace is a nice addition too. Tenace 25.jpg
W Brown.jpgB Grant.jpg
I like this shot of Gus, but bad edit to keep all but the edge of the needle out of the background! and then stick the Archives foil stamp over what was left!
G Williams.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
That's lame. Why would somebody do that
Probably a light ballpoint signature and someone wanted to darken it up, most likely innocently (it's bad, surprised I didn't notice on the listing, but then again I do have a history of rushing my bidding decisions at times). I did that to a couple sigs I got as a kid in the Kingdome. Dumb kid stuff mostly. The guy refunded and is accepting the return, but says it is from his dad's collection and doesn't believe it to be fake. I told him that as soon as he got it back and looked close, it would be very obvious it was a trace job. Who did it, I have no clue. Not accusing him or his dad, but someone did it!

MrMet2.0

Oct 28, 2021
Here
Probably a light ballpoint signature and someone wanted to darken it up, most likely innocently (it's bad, surprised I didn't notice on the listing, but then again I do have a history of rushing my bidding decisions at times). I did that to a couple sigs I got as a kid in the Kingdome. Dumb kid stuff mostly. The guy refunded and is accepting the return, but says it is from his dad's collection and doesn't believe it to be fake. I told him that as soon as he got it back and looked close, it would be very obvious it was a trace job. Who did it, I have no clue. Not accusing him or his dad, but someone did it!

I’ve actually gotten TTM returns like that, where I guess the guy used a pen or whatever that didn’t come out good and then wrote over it again with a sharpie, but that’s pretty rare

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
The problem is proving that down the road to someone else who may be interested in the card so they don't think they are getting a fake. in the end, it probably looks like a fake. Unless the player signs over the ballpoint in another pen and it's clearly their signature, and I have seen that too, it's junk. This card is clearly a trace job, so if McLain did it, he did a crap job of tracing his own signature!

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Winfield /10Winfield 10.jpg
I really enjoy these. It's kind of like investing in a small business instead of buying at the local Target, as long as they stay reasonably priced. They are still limited production customs, but nice ones. Better than spending the same amount for some new garbage packs that net me nothing interesting.Transogram 1.jpg

Still grabbing as many of these factory signed cards as I find that are cheap. I think they are sleepers for the most part.s-l1600.jpg

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Couple old TTM autos in today

Hooks Tinker.jpg
"Hooks" Tinker who played CF for the Pittsburgh Crawfords and discovered Josh Gibson. He passed in 2000.

Bill Wambsganss.jpg

Bill Wambsganss who played for the Indians, Red Sox, and Philadelphia As. He's most well known for turning the only unassisted triple play in World Series History. I'll be making a custom cut out of this one for my Glory of Their Times cut auto set. He passed in 1985.

Last edited:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Mack.jpgDidn't have this guy and found a nice cheap refractor RC. Khalil Mack. Would prefer a Raider card, but this works.

jmc855

Jan 11, 2013
RI
Pretty cool blend here, Bob Ross and cards..... a "happy accident" one might say?...sorry... had to...

Attachments

• 20231113_065104.jpg
    20231113_065104.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 12

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Billy Williams /5. He was on the A's at the end of his career (green)? B Williams 5.png

I have been trying to land this card for a while. This may complete my 77 T Mariners Team set. The image on the card is not Collins, but teammate Bobby Jones. I didn't notice it at first, but this copy if signed by Jones on front and Dave Collins on back. I was beginning to wonder if Collins just wouldn't sign them at all, but pretty sure I have seen at least 1 front signed copies. I'll upgrade if I ever get the chance. For now, this fills a very old hole.
s-l1600.jpgs-l1600-1.jpg

The Night Train!
Lane.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts