Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

OFFICIAL DRAFT DAY DISCUSSION THREAD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Curious as to why Weaver, as a college pitcher, is considered a project. Does he need to bulk up? Improve his off speed?

Lost some velo over the past year, fringy SL, K rate went from 10.89 to 7.2 this year. BA projected his tools as 2nd-3rd round.

FYI, here are the best names still available, according to Law.

Best available (based on their top 100 ranking)

29. Jake Bukauskas, RHP, Stone Bridge (Va.) HS
32. Bryce Montes de Oca, RHP, Lawrence (Kan.) HS
36. Zech Lemond, RHP, Rice
38. Jackson Reetz, C/OF, Hickman (Neb.) HS
47. Mac Marshall, RHP, Parkview (Ga.) HS
48. Dylan Cease, RHP, Milton (Ga.) HS
59. Brett Graves, RHP, Missouri
61. Jeren Kendall, OF, Holmen (Wis.) HS
62. Bobby Bradley, 3B, Harrison Central HS (Gulfport, Miss.)

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I love the idea of the Harrison pick by Milwaukee not only landing a potential "best athlete" player, but also stripping talent from the Badgers' new alignment threat (ie, Nebraska). I'm hoping Milwaukee can get him signed bother as Brewer fan AND a Badger fan.

yrocks2001

Jan 24, 2011
JP, what are the Twins doing with their last 5 picks, all college relief pitchers? Taking college relief early in the past hasn't seemed to work out well for them with Corey Williams and Luke Bard both appearing to be busts so far.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
JP, what are the Twins doing with their last 5 picks, all college relief pitchers? Taking college relief early in the past hasn't seemed to work out well for them with Corey Williams and Luke Bard both appearing to be busts so far.

They're saving money.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Cubs take Dylan Cease in the 6th. Good choice, hope they sign him.

seitas

Aug 7, 2008
Gatewood is a great get for Milwaukee. Say that 5 times fast.

@sheetskout @hive17

I am an alumni of the school Gatewood attends and had the chance to watch him a lot the last three years. His power is impressive and watching him take BP is a show in itself. When you put him in a game situation his hitting tool is VERY suspect. He was probably the third or fourth best hitter on his team. He has a difficult time recognizing pitches and gets fooled often on off speed stuff. I've seen him swing and miss at sliders off the plate and in the dirt too much. He is a great defender with good range (I think he could stay at SS), he has average speed and a plus arm. He could be a pitcher if he can't figure out how to recognize pitches. His make up is good and he has good work ethic. It's not unreasonable to think he could improve his hit tool.
I hope he does well and represents Clovis in MLB. But there are a lot of people who have seen him quite a bit that thinks he will flop at the next level. I would have liked to see him dominate this season, but he didn't. He was drafted based on his projectability and he fell because scouts became more concerned about his hit tool the more they saw. In his defense, he did play in one of the best High School baseball leagues in the entire country.
The worst part about the kid.....he's a Dodger fan. BOOOOOOOOOOOOO

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Weaver is a project; Flaherty is indeed a tough sign. I think the Cards can get it done, though.

Extra pool money should come in handy then.Too bad Red Sox drafted so low.It would have been awesome if a guy named Mookie and another Touki could play on the same roster.

aarne13

Oct 15, 2008
The Permian Basin
I am an alumni of the school Gatewood attends and had the chance to watch him a lot the last three years. His power is impressive and watching him take BP is a show in itself. When you put him in a game situation his hitting tool is VERY suspect. He was probably the third or fourth best hitter on his team. He has a difficult time recognizing pitches and gets fooled often on off speed stuff. I've seen him swing and miss at sliders off the plate and in the dirt too much. He is a great defender with good range (I think he could stay at SS), he has average speed and a plus arm. He could be a pitcher if he can't figure out how to recognize pitches. His make up is good and he has good work ethic. It's not unreasonable to think he could improve his hit tool.
I hope he does well and represents Clovis in MLB. But there are a lot of people who have seen him quite a bit that thinks he will flop at the next level. I would have liked to see him dominate this season, but he didn't. He was drafted based on his projectability and he fell because scouts became more concerned about his hit tool the more they saw. In his defense, he did play in one of the best High School baseball leagues in the entire country.
The worst part about the kid.....he's a Dodger fan. BOOOOOOOOOOOOO

There are too many "5-tool" prospects that never end up mastering the most important one- hitting.

aarne13

Oct 15, 2008
The Permian Basin
Day 3- still a few Top 200 players left

#38- Bukauskas $$
#65- Weisenberg (school)
#73- Montes de Oca
#77- Cobi Johnson
#89- Keaton McKinney
#90- Jeren Kendall
#97- JJ Schwarz
#98- Evan Scoug

3 Canucks off the board- Morgan(Mariners), Dykxhoorn(Astros) Romano(Jays)
Looks like there will be a few more chosen in day 3.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Talk about a blast from the past.

A.J. Vanegas and Karsten Whitson both drafted in the 11th today, by the Dodgers and Red Sox, respectively.

Joshua.Roundtree

Mar 12, 2010
Clearwater, FL
Talk about a blast from the past.

A.J. Vanegas and Karsten Whitson both drafted in the 11th today, by the Dodgers and Red Sox, respectively.

I still like Vanegas, I expected him to be scooped up by a team that was looking to save some slot money in rounds 1 - 10. Maybe his asking price is still pretty high which is why he went in the 11th instead. It will be interesting to see how much each of them gets as college seniors, with little to no leverage.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Best player going into Day 3 just went off the board in the 20th; likely won't sign.

@mlbdrafttracker: @Dbacks select Stone Bridge HS RHP J.B. Bukauskas.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Gentlemen, your new gimmick SP card for 2015 Bowman --

JJ Cooper ‏@jjcoop36
Padres just took Johnny Manziel, listed as SS, from Texas A&M. Guess they hope to bring him into camp for a day a la Russell Wilson?

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Now, how cool is this? :)

Mariano Rivera Jr. - drafted by (who else?) the Yankees, in the 29th.

Members online

Latest posts