Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Official Error and Variation Discussion/Reference Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

henderson939

Dec 14, 2009
New Jersey
BunchOBull said:
Yes sir, silver sig on the black border variety. That was the last one I found. Got lucky found a listing for $2 delivered. When listed as the error version, it sold for between $50 and $60.

Damn! What does the white go for?

Bornagaincollector

Aug 7, 2008
Cleveland,Ohio
I found these [2] today sitting in a box i had.It is the pink error version.Just found a 3rd one in my 1989 Set.So thats 3 i have,They are available if anyone ones them.

5837036442_740d58ce1d_b.jpg

Jan 14, 2009
The one on the left is not the pink version, it's one of the transitional varieties between pink and purple. The one on the right may be a transitional version too, as the true pink version is a clean, solid pink triangle with no purple/blue-ish coloring surrounding it.

Check out the 1989 Topps Errors thread on the collectors universe message boards for a pic of the rainbow (minus the full-blue triangle version - only 1 or 2 copies known).

EDIT:

I think the one on the right is the PINK version. Just looked a little off. Here is the link to the CU discussion:

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=11&threadid=769142&STARTPAGE=2

dietdew

Apr 29, 2010
1979 Kellogg's cards supposedly have 3 variations of almost all of the set according to the Standard Catalog. I'd love to get my hands on the third version of this or at least know what I am looking for. The R symbol is the easiest way to tell the versions apart since there is not any difference in stats or anything like some of the other players. The font is also different on the back.

79kelloggsbacks.jpg

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
I don't think I've seen anyone mention this one yet. I was assembling a new post for my blog when I found a variation in Dave Winfield's 1987 Donruss Diamond King card:

1987DonrussDK20-hair-zoom.png 1987DonrussDK20-nohair-zoom.png

Yes, indeed, there was a version with a hair on the plate, and then a corrected version sans hair. The base Donruss version is the only one with the hair. The Super DK, Leaf and later 2001 Diamond King Reprint versions don't have it. I checked my scanner first (for stray eye lashes or cat hair), then my duplicates and found several of each variation.

Jan 14, 2009
DaClyde said:
I don't think I've seen anyone mention this one yet. I was assembling a new post for my blog when I found a variation in Dave Winfield's 1987 Donruss Diamond King card:

1987DonrussDK20-hair-zoom.png 1987DonrussDK20-nohair-zoom.png

Yes, indeed, there was a version with a hair on the plate, and then a corrected version sans hair. The base Donruss version is the only one with the hair. The Super DK, Leaf and later 2001 Diamond King Reprint versions don't have it. I checked my scanner first (for stray eye lashes or cat hair), then my duplicates and found several of each variation.

I'd be surprised if there isn't a version where they covered the hair in "whiteout." Usually, with these types of variations, Donruss airbrushed first, fixed plate later (Ray Knight 1988 Scar for example). Cool find!

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
1990 Topps Glossy Rookie Foil Stripe Test Issue

What is the writing on the one card?

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
tpeichel said:
Picked up two sets of these in the early '90s in the Philadelphia area. I was told there were about 50 sets printed this way with 1991 Fleer football on the front and 1991 Fleer baseball on the back. No idea if he was correct. I think it was just one sheet so there really isn't a complete set per se.

1991FleerBB-FBError.jpg

I have a Henderson back and Rodney Holman (football) front

henderson939

Dec 14, 2009
New Jersey
I dont have picks now, but there are some 81 & 82 Perma Graphics variations.
1981 Perma-Graphics with & without a 3 digit number on the bottom right.
1982 PERMA-GRAPHICS SUPERSTAR (SMALL LOGO ON BACK) 1982 PERMA-GRAPHICS SUPERSTAR (LARGE LOGO ON BACK) 1982 PERMA-GRAPHICS ALL-STAR (TAN STAR-GOLD CIRCLE ON BOTTOM) regular
1982 PERMA-GRAPHICS ALL-STAR (TAN STAR-DARK COPPER CIRCLE)1982 PERMA-GRAPHICS ALL-STAR (DARK COPPER STAR, INSET BORDER, & CIRCLE)

dietdew

Apr 29, 2010
henderson939 said:
I dont have picks now, but there are some 81 & 82 Perma Graphics variations.
1981 Perma-Graphics with & without a 3 digit number on the bottom right.
1982 PERMA-GRAPHICS SUPERSTAR (SMALL LOGO ON BACK) 1982 PERMA-GRAPHICS SUPERSTAR (LARGE LOGO ON BACK) 1982 PERMA-GRAPHICS ALL-STAR (TAN STAR-GOLD CIRCLE ON BOTTOM) regular
1982 PERMA-GRAPHICS ALL-STAR (TAN STAR-DARK COPPER CIRCLE)1982 PERMA-GRAPHICS ALL-STAR (DARK COPPER STAR, INSET BORDER, & CIRCLE)

I'd like the see the 82 variations.

Here is Rod Carew from 81. There was an error on the uniform number of Rod that was corrected between the two version in addition to the change in the bottom numbering. The 81 Carew All-Star also has a First Base/Outfield variation on the front.
page34b-7.jpg

page34b-6.jpg

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
Bornagaincollector said:
tpeichel said:

Not Sure,I was told it might be the Printer doing it.It was there when i pulled them.I have more in my bucket.

Where did you pull them from?

Bornagaincollector

Aug 7, 2008
Cleveland,Ohio
tpeichel said:
Bornagaincollector said:
tpeichel said:

Not Sure,I was told it might be the Printer doing it.It was there when i pulled them.I have more in my bucket.

Where did you pull them from?

At my local rite aid.They have those 100 cards in a pack for 4.99...They sale just baseball and football,I pulled a Dan Marino rc from the Football one last month and got 35.00 dlvd for it.

Here are [2] more.

5895517313_302b4d0e62_b.jpg

Be8el0ve

Aug 7, 2008
New Jersey
Anyone know where the silver foil cards come from and how diffuicult are they to obtain?

1996 Fleer - Silver Foil, Gold Foil, Tiffany
Inserts08-07-11001.jpg

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Be8el0ve said:
Anyone know where the silver foil cards come from and how diffuicult are they to obtain?

1996 Fleer - Silver Foil, Gold Foil, Tiffany
Inserts08-07-11001.jpg

The Silver Foils are from the 1996 Fleer Team Sets, a similar concept to the Donruss and Score team sets of the same era. Each team had 20 cards, and I think most of the teams had them; they were issued in 10 cards packs in team-specific boxes. The numbering the giveaway; the Team Sets cards are numbered 'X of 20'.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts