Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh how the mighty have fallen...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Prospect cards seem like a Ponzi scheme. JMO

More like a bubble IMO. I feel like people waste thousands of dollars chasing the next Mike Trout - I can't see that I've seen any evidence that prospecting is a long-term profitable proposition.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
More like a bubble IMO. I feel like people waste thousands of dollars chasing the next Mike Trout - I can't see that I've seen any evidence that prospecting is a long-term profitable proposition.

I agree with the Bubble statement.

But plenty of folks (not me) make tons of Coin prospecting. It's all about the timing. It's incredibly important to "Buy low/Sell high", that type of thing...

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
I agree with the Bubble statement.

But plenty of folks (not me) make tons of Coin prospecting. It's all about the timing. It's incredibly important to "Buy low/Sell high", that type of thing...

To me there's no value in any "long-term" prospecting investments. Can you hold for one season and make a ton of money? At this time in the game, yeah it's definitely possible. At the end of the day, what is a Mike Trout superfractor auto really? It's a star autograph (worth a couple hundred bucks let's say) and then you have like tens of thousands of dollars in market value based on the fact that it's a 1/1 superfractor and that stuff is really hot. What if tomorrow Bowman decides they want to generate more revenue and they come out with a super-duperfractor? Then those people are out A LOT of money. If/when (and I think it's more of a when) people realize that there are thousands of Trout autos out there and the fact that the card background and numbering shouldn't add thousands if not tens of thousands to the value of that item then the product will plummet. With game used, it's less risk - but overall you're still likely going to lose money in the end. I used to buy Cobb, Gehrig, etc. relics for $150-$300 easy and now those same exact cards go for a fraction, you have HOF relics easily selling for under $5. I'm not saying I'm smart for collecting HOF memorabilia and prospectors are dumb, I've taken a bath on more than I've made out on top on trust me but that's just my opinion. Obviously because prospecting is still hot as ever the majority disagrees with me.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Prospecting isn't dumb. It's the guys paying 20 grand for a low numbered auto rookie that have me scratching my head. The guy that purchased the trout recently, and the guy that purchased the Strasburg (or was it Harper?) super for the price of a car are basically throwing money down the drain.

patrick182

Mar 23, 2010
There's nothing wrong with prospecting. I do it, but I wait until the player has had a favorable career for a number of years before buying a rookie card. I suppose this could be more considered seasoned prospecting since I'm waiting until HOF numbers are showcased before making any sizable financial investment.

RE: Strasburg.
I remember Summer '10 quite well. I really appreciated how he and Hayward were marketed as it stimulated a lot of activity in the hobby, which is always desirable for the general sense of market demand generation. This kind of hype makes things fun, even if for only a short while. I watched a lot of collectors rip open '10 Bowman Chrome in search of Strasburg. I really enjoy witnessing that kind of excitement from other collectors.

I sometimes see that kind of excitement on these here forums and it always brings a smile to my face. :)

If prospecting is your thing, embrace it! Collect what you like and enjoy it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts