Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Back on page 149 of this thread I asked about the 1998 Finest No-Protector vs. Protector Refractors and how to tell which is which. At the time I decided to pick up the card I saw on COMC and check it out. The seller accepted my offer of $1.58, and I only just now have gotten the card in-hand after having a bunch of cards shipped.

In comparing it to the other 3 Finest cards I have (base with protector, base with protector refractor, and no protector), the COMC purchase definitely has the etching on the back around the player, card number, and bio box; and it has the shinier refractor-type colouring front and back. It also has an "R" by the card number. I tried scanning and photographing both cards side-by-side, but I can't capture the etching. The refractor version is brighter though.

0022.jpg

I guess now I need to look for a "No-Protector Refractor without R" variation?!? To echo what some people noted originally, I hate this set! :p

That's not a No-Protector Ref, just a basic Ref. The No-Protectors Refs do not have an R on the back, while the regular Refs do. As mentioned, look for the etching around the card number and player; there's no etching/outline around Olerud on back, so that's a second way to tell it's a basic Ref. Third way to tell is that I would have bought it if it were! :lol:

Last edited:

saucywombat

Feb 4, 2010
Folly Beach, SC
Back on page 149 of this thread I asked about the 1998 Finest No-Protector vs. Protector Refractors and how to tell which is which. At the time I decided to pick up the card I saw on COMC and check it out. The seller accepted my offer of $1.58, and I only just now have gotten the card in-hand after having a bunch of cards shipped.

In comparing it to the other 3 Finest cards I have (base with protector, base with protector refractor, and no protector), the COMC purchase definitely has the etching on the back around the player, card number, and bio box; and it has the shinier refractor-type colouring front and back. It also has an "R" by the card number. I tried scanning and photographing both cards side-by-side, but I can't capture the etching. The refractor version is brighter though.

View attachment 4269

I guess now I need to look for a "No-Protector Refractor without R" variation?!? To echo what some people noted originally, I hate this set! :p

With the 98's I think it would have beed a lot easier if they would have just described them has "one sided" and "two sided" refractors, not sure why they tried to emphasize the lack of protection as the distinguishing feature of the two sided refractors.

Series one "two sided" refractors should have no "R" designation while Series 2 "two sided" refractors should have a "R".

Last edited:

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
Finally found one I didn't have :D

cmmy.jpg

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
This guy now has 45 of these printing error 1/1's listed for sale. Seems strange that so many would just all of the sudden show up. I had never seen one of these before this. Seller has a great reputation though from what I understand.

Nice seller but has his prices in mind. I remember seeing some of these at the Hawai'i Trade Show in 99 or 2000; odd errors but nothing I ever planned to drop cash on.

chief7575

Feb 1, 2010
I have noticed too on those 98 gold label 1/1 "printing errors", that on the backs of the card where the set number is, the card does not have the one to one written on it (and accompanying wording if black or red label too) surrounding the set number.

2 examples that I have showing the backs and that labeling vs the ones online now.
MINE
98GL1back1of1.jpg
98GLblack2back1of1.jpg

$%28KGrHqV,%21pcE-v8GkcE,BQ%21zi5Ddn%21%7E%7E60_57.JPG

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
^^^^ This is VERY interesting. Does anyone think these are just bogus?! I still am confused how this guy has SO many and this is a great example of the true 1/1s in someone's PC and then he has an error version?

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
^^^^ This is VERY interesting. Does anyone think these are just bogus?! I still am confused how this guy has SO many and this is a great example of the true 1/1s in someone's PC and then he has an error version?

Not hard to have a bunch of them when they are rescued from the dumpster at one time.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Not the same thing, but I have a 1999 Topps Gold Label Red that has Todd Hundley's name on front (#25/25). I've had it for many years. I also have a correct version (#1/25). Never knew what to make of the error. The logo is in different corners too - just thought it was a misaligned foil plate.

99TOPPSGOLDLABEL3RED2.jpg
99TOPPSGOLDLABEL3RED.jpg

Members online