Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
That is actually really cool and never knew that was out there. I can't imagine anyone even today has all four of a single player. That is a HUGE feat, even now a days. I actually started a thread about anyone having all four of a card and I don't think anyone said they did. I have three of a card for Belle but probably will never see the 4th lol

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
That is actually really cool and never knew that was out there. I can't imagine anyone even today has all four of a single player. That is a HUGE feat, even now a days. I actually started a thread about anyone having all four of a card and I don't think anyone said they did. I have three of a card for Belle but probably will never see the 4th lol

You mean all 4 plates for any card, not the 1997 New Pinnacle card? I'm sure tons of people have one or two sets, I've got all 4 front plates for the 2005 Topps Total Steve Karsay/Mike Stanton card. You have to be really lucky for all 4 to show up (and that you actually SEE all 4 show up) but it's possible.

1997 was just before the internet widely caught on so Pinnacle was pretty safe offering that bounty...imagine how hard it would be to find all 4 plates when the vast majority of sales were happening at local shops and shows throughout the country. If a card company had done the same promotion a year or two later they would have lost a lot of money.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
You mean all 4 plates for any card, not the 1997 New Pinnacle card? I'm sure tons of people have one or two sets, I've got all 4 front plates for the 2005 Topps Total Steve Karsay/Mike Stanton card. You have to be really lucky for all 4 to show up (and that you actually SEE all 4 show up) but it's possible.

1997 was just before the internet widely caught on so Pinnacle was pretty safe offering that bounty...imagine how hard it would be to find all 4 plates when the vast majority of sales were happening at local shops and shows throughout the country. If a card company had done the same promotion a year or two later they would have lost a lot of money.

So much harder in 1997 to find plates than it is today. Odds of pulling one were much larger, as products had such large print runs. No matter how hard you looked, you just couldn't find these. 18 years later I've only got one.

97NEWPIN.jpg

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana

Dealers and shop owners ruled the playing field back then (but we knew that). These fine folks used the D-Net to move items, both buy and sell request. I remember seeing the asking price for cards and then seeing the mark-up.....WOW what a racket and no wonder eBay took hold. But, if you fequented a shop with D-Net you could see the SP cards and without it you were SOL.

patrick182

Mar 23, 2010
^^What is the deal with the Griffey and the cut corner? Is that a promo or something?

The clipped corner cards come from the center fold in that tri-fold Pinnacle display that was shared above. I'd say, based on the fact that these clipped corner cards were accompanied with the tri-fold promotional display, that they could, in fact, be considered promos. I'm not sure how many cards exist with the cut corner, but I can guarantee it's more than six.

1997-new-pinnacle-spellbound-ft2-r-promo.jpg

Last edited:

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Scanner is at work and these are headed to PSA. Photos do not do these justice.
Bagwell has a small surface flaw but with a card this rare who cares except it might not grade 9.

null_zpsblyerlp9.jpg

null_zpsxb9026tm.jpg

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Yes. Bagwell was on eBay. The Mac was also on eBay but several years back. I passed on it so that @markmcgwiremuseum could buy it; he decided to sell and I am the benefactor.

This is give me ~1/2 of the confirmed cards.

That is amazing. I honestly love this set and the intrigue. I also love that you've been the home for these out there.

Now if there is a Belle out there? Who knows haha. My wallet hopes the answer is no ;)

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I am not 100% positive if it was the first time, but 2005 Donruss DK gave away full sets of plates. I want to say it was in the Challenge sets. The base parallel redemption set was embossed with the word "Challenge" and as a bonus, each set also received a random set of 4 plates, so those are probably the easiest plate sets to find to this day. Not sure if full plate sets ever were offered as a group before or since.

Of course, I missed my set partially because I was scaling back my spending then, but also I was proving a point that I regret to this day by backing off on the set and letting a rival win. I was tired of driving prices way up because two of us would bid crazy to win these stupid cards. I believe the entire set only went for $120 or so!! Of course it still happens to this day. Of course, after a small run of little competition, I have to be one of the guys who now has nearly continuous insane competition for my player cards. I can't hardly win most lower print run cards now, let alone get a reasonable price when I do. Years down the road, we all will probably regret our passion for some of these cards when nobody will want to pay even a fraction of what we paid.

Members online

Latest posts