Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ok, do these 1999 sub sets actually exist?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thumpersports

Aug 9, 2008
Calgary
So, im trying to re-due my need lists and was wondering if these sets actually even exist.....

They are listed on the Upper Deck website but I have never seen any listed on Ebay or Beckett's marketplace.

1999 Upper Deck Legends MVP parallel

1999 Upper Deck MVP Preview

Any info would be appreciated, Thanks

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
[h=2]Parallels[/h] [h=3]Century Collection[/h] Each of the 131 base cards are available in this holographic-foil parallel. All cards are serial-numbered to 100 copies with a dot-matrix printer.
[h=3]Century Collection MVPs[/h] This is a 100-card partial-parallel of the 1999 Upper Deck MVP set. Each card is a one-of-one.
C1 Mo Vaughn
C2 Troy Glaus
C3 Darin Erstad
C4 Randy Johnson
C5 Travis Lee
C6 Chipper Jones
C7 Greg Maddux
C8 Tom Glavine
C9 John Smoltz
C10 Cal Ripken
C11 Charles Johnson
C12 Albert Belle
C13 Nomar Garciaparra
C14 Pedro Martinez
C15 Kerry Wood
C16 Sammy Sosa
C17 Mark Grace
C18 Frank Thomas
C19 Paul Konerko
C20 Ray Durham
C21 Denny Neagle
C22 Sean Casey
C23 Barry Larkin
C24 Roberto Alomar
C25 Kenny Lofton
C26 Travis Fryman
C27 Jim Thome
C28 Manny Ramirez
C29 Vinny Castilla
C30 Todd Helton
C31 Dante Bichette
C32 Larry Walker
C33 Gabe Kapler
C34 Dean Palmer
C35 Tony Clark
C36 Juan Encarnacion
C37 Alex Gonzalez
C38 Preston Wilson
C39 Derrek Lee
C40 Ken Caminiti
C41 Jeff Bagwell
C42 Moises Alou
C43 Craig Biggio
C44 Carlos Beltran
C45 Jeremy Giambi
C46 Johnny Damon
C47 Kevin Brown
C48 Chan Ho Park
C49 Raul Mondesi
C50 Gary Sheffield
C51 Sean Berry
C52 Jeromy Burnitz
C53 Brad Radke
C54 Eric Milton
C55 Todd Walker
C56 Vladimir Guerrero
C57 Rondell White
C58 Mike Piazza
C59 Rickey Henderson
C60 Rey Ordonez
C61 Derek Jeter
C62 Bernie Williams
C63 Paul O'Neill
C64 Scott Brosius
C65 Tino Martinez
C66 Roger Clemens
C67 Orlando Hernandez
C68 Ben Grieve
C69 Eric Chavez
C70 Jason Giambi
C71 Curt Schilling
C72 Scott Rolen
C73 Pat Burrell
C74 Jason Kendall
C75 Aramis Ramirez
C76 Mark McGwire
C77 J.D. Drew
C78 Edgar Renteria
C79 Tony Gwynn
C80 Sterling Hitchcock
C81 Ruben Rivera
C82 Trevor Hoffman
C83 Barry Bonds
C84 Ellis Burks
C85 Robb Nen
C86 Ken Griffey Jr.
C87 Alex Rodriguez
C88 Carlos Guillen
C89 Edgar Martinez
C90 Jose Canseco
C91 Rolando Arrojo
C92 Wade Boggs
C93 Fred McGriff
C94 Juan Gonzalez
C95 Ivan Rodriguez
C96 Rafael Palmeiro
C97 David Wells
C98 Roy Halladay
C99 Carlos Delgado
C100 Jose Cruz Jr.

Thumpersports

Aug 9, 2008
Calgary
Thanks Magic,

Ok, that makes sense on the Legends MVP being #1/1's. Never seen any of them....

Not following what you posted about the Upper Deck MVP Preview though. Ive seen lots of Collectors Choice Previews but no Upper Deck MVP preview cards??

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Thanks Magic,

Ok, that makes sense on the Legends MVP being #1/1's. Never seen any of them....

Not following what you posted about the Upper Deck MVP Preview though. Ive seen lots of Collectors Choice Previews but no Upper Deck MVP preview cards??

I have yet to see an MVP Preview either. Would love to see a scan of one if they do exist though!

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I've never seen a Preview of ARod either. Does anyone have one?

Odd thing is Beckett states they were sold in packs of 5 for less than $1. I can't think of many (if any) other circumstances where preview cards were sold (esp. in pack form) as opposed to given away or as some sort of incentive. Makes me wonder what, if anything, on the cards actually distinguish them as being previews. This must have been discussed previously but if it was I didn't keep good enough notes!

Thumpersports

Aug 9, 2008
Calgary
I think those packs your talking about are the Upper Deck Choice set. I found some of them on Ebay, even boxes of them. ( 6 cards per pack ) I dont think this set actually exists.

Last edited:

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I think those packs your talking about are the Upper Deck Choice set. I found some of them on Ebay, even boxes of them. ( 6 cards per pack ) I dont think this set actually exists.

That's just what Beckett had written about the MVP Previews. Good to see the Choice packs though as I had not previously seen such an odd preview distribution. No clue if the MVP Previews exist or not, but according to Beckett they would have come in similar packs. Odd that none of the big player collectors I have seen on here have the MVP Preview, which is always a good case for "it don't exist". Did UD Choice release before Upper Deck MVP? Could be that the Choice packs were so unpopular they scrapped the idea of doing the same for the MVP set and lists/online databases were never updated (I'm sure this has happened in other instances and just adds to the mystery of some of these oddballs)

Thumpersports

Aug 9, 2008
Calgary
Thats kinda what I was thinking. Just because its on a checklist somewhere, doesnt actually mean it exists. The best indication is that no player collectors actually have one. Its kinda the same way with sample cards and trde show versions, I think Beckett just decided to throw out that they might exist...... because I have several cards they dont list and have never seen some they do.

I also have been searching for a 2001 Donruss Signature Century Marks and the parallel "master series" Glaus autos for 11 years and have never seen 1. ( they are numbered #/144 plus the additional masters series ) I have a couple unsigned versions, which leads me to believe, he never actually signed them.

katieneack

Apr 7, 2012
Northern Kentucky
I have never seen a Larkin 1999 UD MVP preview either. I actually discussed this with a couple friends a while back who have very extensive player collections and they had never seen on either. These cards don't exist IMO.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Odd thing is Beckett states they were sold in packs of 5 for less than $1. I can't think of many (if any) other circumstances where preview cards were sold (esp. in pack form) as opposed to given away or as some sort of incentive. Makes me wonder what, if anything, on the cards actually distinguish them as being previews. This must have been discussed previously but if it was I didn't keep good enough notes!

I think Beckett may be combining two different things into one imaginary product: the pack-issues Preview-stamped UD Choice previews, and (assuming they exist) packs of 1999 UD MVP issued as preview packs, but containing regular base cards. I have no idea if Upper Deck did such a thing for MVP, but it would make a whole lot more sense than these mythical stamped Preview cards.

Sep 11, 2009
Are you talking about the 1999 MVP Fanfest for the MVP Preview? If so they are pretty hard to find but usually don't sell for more than a couple of bucks when they go to auction.
1999_Upper_Deck_MVP_FanFest.jpg

And the 1/1 Century MVP from Lance's collection.

99_UD_Legends_CenturyMVP.jpg

Thumpersports

Aug 9, 2008
Calgary
Thanks for posting the scans.

It just says, MVP preview, nothing about the fan fest set. ( doesnt list a Glaus from that set ) I dont think they exist.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
The "Century MVP" cards in 1999 UD Century Legends were a preview of the 1999 UD MVP card design. They are 1/1 cards. Not sure if that's what UD meant for "1999 Upper Deck Legends MVP parallel" but it sounds like it. Card below is the 1/1 #C17.

99gracemvp.jpg

was issued in:

99UDLEGENDS.jpg

previewed these cards:

99UDMVP.jpg

Last edited:

cbrandtw

Sep 12, 2008
Daphne, AL
So Beckett has ARod listed as UD Choice Preview as card #143 (which I have), they also have him listed as Upper Deck MVP Preview as card #191 (but I have never seen one), and lastly they do not have him listed in the Upper Deck MVP Fanfest set but I do have that card as #AS27 so they are definitely not confusing those latter 2 sets.

Who is the person on here who has contacts at Beckett to confirm the exsitence of these cards if in fact they do exist?

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Cirillo is also listed on the MVP Preview checklist but definitely does not have a Century Legends MVP parallel so I don't think they are listing the same card 2 separate ways. At least not in this case lol. Damn Beckett just messing with our lives

Thumpersports

Aug 9, 2008
Calgary
Either way, there are none on Ebay, none on Beckett and several player collectors have never seen, let alone own one. Unless its a #1/1 im considering it never made.

Thumpersports

Aug 9, 2008
Calgary
Damn Beckett just messing with our lives

The problem, as I see it, they take the companies at there word. They dont do enough research to confirm these cards exist. Which is what really bothers me with the sample versions they say exist. I mean just because Donruss brought 5 cards number 165 to the show, doesnt mean they actually stamped them #/5. Clearly its a tough job to confirm all of these cards exist but if you cant prove it exists, it shouldnt be listed. I feel I could cross off 15-20 cards off my lists because they dont exist.

Members online

Latest posts