Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Old guy coming back......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ziteac

Mar 20, 2024
Colorado
Hello all, my name is Chris from Colorado, and I am getting back into card collecting after a 26-year absence. I was an avid Ozzie Smith collector for many years and was the one thing me and my father bonded over. Sad to say when I got married, I was forced to stop, and I have missed it. Things got worse when my ex decided to throw out my collection of Ozzie cards in which I had roughly 700 with no dupes. I don't want to talk about it more as it makes me sick and is making me sicker when I am repurchasing cards I already owned.

Anyway, I have missed it and I have a lot to learn as the landscape seems so much more different than when I was collecting. Hell, I had to learn what hanger, blaster, and master boxes were. I am also learning about all the different variations. I cannot believe that Ozzie has over 10,000 different cards produced. I guess my lifelong goal as a kid to collect one of every Ozzie card is not happening. LOL So I am trying to decide what I want to collect. I know I want to get the cards that I and my father had so much fun finding, but the newer stuff I have no clue so any advice would be great.

I am currently creating a database in Excel, and I have contacted a couple of sellers that I found here and some that old friends told me to look into. If there are any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks, and I look forward to getting to know everyone.
Chris

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Your return to the hobby sounds a lot like mine. I was away from 1996-2014, and when I realized what had happened in the meantime it was truly a shock.

FWIW, I'd say focus on the playing career and only pick up post-career cards if they really strike a chord with you. Otherwise you'll go crazy, and broke.

ziteac

Mar 20, 2024
Colorado
Thanks everyone, yeah I already found that out, crazy and broke. Right now I am trying to find the cards I remembered my father and I searched forever for and a lot of the old oddball cards. I have already reached out to Tim to start rebuilding the collection. I am also looking forward to go to a card show today.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
My old boss I had in Mississippi, well he and his girlfriend broke up, when he was at work she went into his house and took all his cards and burned them in his fire pit. Luckly his neighbors saw this happing and called the cops. He Wanted her arrested. The cop said seriously? What are those cards worth. He told the cops $7-8 hundred K. That was 16 years ago. From what I know she is still in prison. STUPID BITCH.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
One option that cuts WAY down on older players is to only collect cards issued when the player was active. It takes a lot of the modern fun out, but also makes it possible in most cases to get everything.

The super oddball stuff will be the tricky part unless you have deep pockets to spend on cards.

Members online

Latest posts