Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Old time member memories

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mgsherm

Aug 7, 2008
Jacksonville, Florida
Hey everyone, just saw the Phil Hughes post, actually came in an email, but got me thinking about all the good times back in the day. I was an old BMB member and came over here when this first started. Been about 9 years since I was a regular. Dont collect much anymore, but wish I did. You may remember that I was a huge Matt LaPorta fan. This was one if my favorites of his I got here. The old BGS 3.5 Dog Chewed Prize!! Hope all is well with everyone!20200422_153402.jpg

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Been here a good while and still enjoying collecting......mainly vintage, TTM/IP autographs and Yankee stuff. Thanks for starting what I hope will be a lot of great memories!

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
I remember a member had a laporta on ebay and everyone was asking funny questions.

dyQdTcs.jpg

Jlvjr1623

Apr 23, 2020
Hey folks. I’m back after a 12 year absence from FCB and BMBs. I’m formally know as Jlvjr16. What happened to everyone? Different FB groups have taken over?

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
Hey everyone, just saw the Phil Hughes post, actually came in an email, but got me thinking about all the good times back in the day. I was an old BMB member and came over here when this first started. Been about 9 years since I was a regular. Dont collect much anymore, but wish I did. You may remember that I was a huge Matt LaPorta fan. This was one if my favorites of his I got here. The old BGS 3.5 Dog Chewed Prize!! Hope all is well with everyone!View attachment 112730

I remember JP being very high on this guy unfortunately. Possibly the most over-hyped prospect to ever enlighten a messageboard!

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
What was BMB?

So Beckett used to be a great messageboard. One of the first if not the first of it's kind. I remember it being kind of hard to find back in the day because early on there wasn't a direct link to it on Beckett's website. I managed to stumble across it in like late '99 and lurked for awhile before I joined sometime I think in early in '01. It wasn't heavily populated at the time but it was a fun board. Almost everyone used their actual name or at least part of it back then, thus yours truly, as nicknames just weren't the norm surprisingly. Eventually Beckett created a direct link and that allowed for many more members to sign on.

There was one main Moderator when I joined named Christopher Borden. We all called him C-Biddy. I believe his signature to the best of my memory was "Collecting mold spores, dust mites and fungus" I'm sure that's not exact but it's pretty close. Anyways, he was just very laid back and just an all-around cool guy. Everyone liked him and we hated to see him go as he eventually took another roll inside the company.

No offense here but those boards back then were just awesome. Tons of members, activity, fights, trolls and a buttload of information, all with very little moderation. We all had a lot of room over there to behave or misbehave, the latter of which happened a lot. And for the most part early on and for several years we pretty much policed ourselves.

To make a long story short after C-Biddy was gone, Beckett started adding other moderators and administrators who over time began to get more and more heavy-handed, setting all of these new rules and regulations, gladly dishing out suspensions like candy and banning people as well, some with lifetime bans. -Hello Jeff Novell.

So basically in 2008 I think it's fair to say that most of us had had enough and I want to say that a user named MyPens66 sent out invitations or tried to for members to join a new board. There's some confusion and lack of remembrance on my part how that whole fiasco played out but I'm sure G-Mo (Chris Gilmore) or some other board members here could fill in the details because MyPens66 disappeared and Chris and John I believe actually started FreedomCardBoard.

So when you see a lot of users here with join dates of August 7, 2008 and later, that was when the board started here and many members signed on to flee from the tyrannical rule of the BMB's.

Last edited:

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
Was there a member on the BMB called themselves bob fett or something similar ? I know their posts were driving a lot of people nuts. I just thought they we off their meds or something

linuxabuser

Jan 16, 2011
Then there was that guy and his mom who stole cards and drove through the desert or something?

Members online