Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Old time member memories

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Ugh, Secret Santa.. It was good for those that actually put some thought into getting other members gifts.. But for those that knew they were getting good cards, they failed to spend the energy needed..

I want to thank George and Magic for stepping up and helping out..
Pinocchio_Who_Me-T-link.jpg

nkdbacks

Aug 7, 2008
AZ
Wow, what a walk down memory lane!

I have always been more of a lurker than an active poster, sadly, so I don’t consider myself among the famous graduates of BMB, but I realized when reading this thread that I joined BMB in 2003 when I was 13, and just turned 30, so I have been silently stalking these boards most of my life at this point!

Glad to see so many are doing well, and hope everyone is staying safe!

I significantly slowed down my collecting around 2015, moving more from team collecting of the Diamondbacks to a focus only on Paul Goldschmidt (and of course whatever Brandon Webb I could find), and then around end of 2017, I even slowed down on that. Shifted my discretionary spending more towards travel with friends and a couple other hobbies, but since the virus has taken hold, I’ve had less reason to use that extra money for travel and have actually started picking up quite a bit more and attempting to fill in some of the gaps I’ve missed the last couple years. Kind of rediscovering the love for the hobby a little bit, and even got around to getting ever closer to finishing the scanning I want to do for my D-backs collection website, so maybe I’ll share that when it’s finally ready!

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
Wow, what a walk down memory lane!

I have always been more of a lurker than an active poster, sadly, so I don’t consider myself among the famous graduates of BMB, but I realized when reading this thread that I joined BMB in 2003 when I was 13, and just turned 30, so I have been silently stalking these boards most of my life at this point!

Glad to see so many are doing well, and hope everyone is staying safe!

I significantly slowed down my collecting around 2015, moving more from team collecting of the Diamondbacks to a focus only on Paul Goldschmidt (and of course whatever Brandon Webb I could find), and then around end of 2017, I even slowed down on that. Shifted my discretionary spending more towards travel with friends and a couple other hobbies, but since the virus has taken hold, I’ve had less reason to use that extra money for travel and have actually started picking up quite a bit more and attempting to fill in some of the gaps I’ve missed the last couple years. Kind of rediscovering the love for the hobby a little bit, and even got around to getting ever closer to finishing the scanning I want to do for my D-backs collection website, so maybe I’ll share that when it’s finally ready!

It's always nice to see some old members. Glad you've rediscovered your love of the hobby, I think we've probably all had our ups and downs with that. You should pop in a little more often and definitely show us your D-Backs progress! :)

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
This is how often I check in. Just now seeing this thread! I still post here and there, and participate in All In Cards TCG group. Nice to see some familiar names here again. There are many that I continue to keep close tabs on via Facebook. Life is still good.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

It's definitely awesome to see you pop in Greg as well as some of the other "Old-Timers" from time to time.
It definitely brings back a lot of good memories thinking about the old boards with the members we had along with all the fun we all had as well!

It's kinda strange too that we left there and came here 12 years ago. Time definitely flies faster with age, and unbelievably so at times as you look back.

shanks25

Aug 7, 2008
Just popped in here today for the first time in forever and saw this thread. WOW! I recognize all the names. I too started on the BMB and migrated to FCB and was active for a while. Took about a 10 year break and just fairly recently got back into collecting.

I still have my Magicpapa 1/1 playing card. I remember Rich G well (Idiot!!!) as well as some of the others. Like Ty Hope, and V-Mart Iconoclast, and all the McGwire collectors like me (BigMac McGwire).

What about Miggy? Did he ever grow up? And then there's Terry and the cruise ship...

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Just popped in here today for the first time in forever and saw this thread. WOW! I recognize all the names. I too started on the BMB and migrated to FCB and was active for a while. Took about a 10 year break and just fairly recently got back into collecting.

I still have my Magicpapa 1/1 playing card. I remember Rich G well (Idiot!!!) as well as some of the others. Like Ty Hope, and V-Mart Iconoclast, and all the McGwire collectors like me (BigMac McGwire).

What about Miggy? Did he ever grow up? And then there's Terry and the cruise ship...
hey you you every wanna sell that 1/1 let me know, still have the COAMagicPapaCards.jpg
card also?

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
So Beckett used to be a great messageboard. One of the first if not the first of it's kind. I remember it being kind of hard to find back in the day because early on there wasn't a direct link to it on Beckett's website. I managed to stumble across it in like late '99 and lurked for awhile before I joined sometime I think in early in '01. It wasn't heavily populated at the time but it was a fun board. Almost everyone used their actual name or at least part of it back then, thus yours truly, as nicknames just weren't the norm surprisingly. Eventually Beckett created a direct link and that allowed for many more members to sign on.

There was one main Moderator when I joined named Christopher Borden. We all called him C-Biddy. I believe his signature to the best of my memory was "Collecting mold spores, dust mites and fungus" I'm sure that's not exact but it's pretty close. Anyways, he was just very laid back and just an all-around cool guy. Everyone liked him and we hated to see him go as he eventually took another roll inside the company.

No offense here but those boards back then were just awesome. Tons of members, activity, fights, trolls and a buttload of information, all with very little moderation. We all had a lot of room over there to behave or misbehave, the latter of which happened a lot. And for the most part early on and for several years we pretty much policed ourselves.

To make a long story short after C-Biddy was gone, Beckett started adding other moderators and administrators who over time began to get more and more heavy-handed, setting all of these new rules and regulations, gladly dishing out suspensions like candy and banning people as well, some with lifetime bans. -Hello Jeff Novell.

So basically in 2008 I think it's fair to say that most of us had had enough and I want to say that a user named MyPens66 sent out invitations or tried to for members to join a new board. There's some confusion and lack of remembrance on my part how that whole fiasco played out but I'm sure G-Mo (Chris Gilmore) or some other board members here could fill in the details because MyPens66 disappeared and Chris and John I believe actually started FreedomCardBoard.

So when you see a lot of users here with join dates of August 7, 2008 and later, that was when the board started here and many members signed on to flee from the tyrannical rule of the BMB's.
Hello Randy Shields.

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
Hello Randy Shields.

Hello Jeff Novell, aka Jeff N.

Yes you stuck out on the banned list because in spite of the fact that you bumped heads many times through the years with other members including myself, you were still one of the more prominent members of those old boards. And although I do not recall exactly why you were the recipient of that banishment, (maybe you could refresh our memories here), I do remember a very early thread on these boards which was in effect a vote per say on giving you an invitation to join here. I fully supported it believe it or not. I certainly didn't support bans on the BMB's and I don't support them here either unless, of course, they were obviously appropriate.

So even though we've bumped heads a time or two, you did help me along with several others to get some cards back from Mike (Modern Collector) who essentially ripped a lot of people off back in the day after being what we thought was such a "Great guy and board member." Smhh...Right..
Nonetheless you took on that task amidst some criticism from a few members who thought you to be doing it for the sole purpose of your own gain. Needless to say I appreciated it and I gave you credit where credit was due.

And lastly as I age l find my urges to brawl or smack people around, albeit deservedly so with many in the past, have diminished significantly and honestly with the people that we have here now there's really no idiots or trolls here to speak of anymore. Perhaps maybe your urges have subsided some too.

blitzerlover

Aug 9, 2008
Man trip down memory lane - I havent logged in a couple years but I recognize everyones signature from forever ago.

Sharing some sad news I came across on a forum for my other hobby:

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
😇

rud-1.jpg

Last edited:

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
I was there most heavily around 2002-2004 so I remember the "old-timers" names more clearly. Got out of there well before whatever transpired that led to the formation of FCB. Don't remember why I left, I've never stopped collecting. Could be my propensity to have strong opinions while at the same time not enjoying "fighting".

And I may be wrong, but I don't feel like any place can rightfully call itself a "baseball card message board" unless Jeff N. has been banned/suspended there at least once.

Members online

Latest posts