Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Papelbon an elite closer?

What kind of Closer is Papelbon?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Does anybody think Papelbon is an elite closer still (or ever was)?
Everyone of his saves must be a nerve racking experience as he gives up multiple hits and walks in almost every save attempt.

His stats this season: 41 IP, 24 saves, 8 ER, 4 HR, 42 SO, 34 Hits, 18 walks, 2 HB, and a WHIP of 1.27.

Wes

OG
Administrator
vwnut13 said:
Does anybody think Papelbon is an elite closer still (or ever was)?
Everyone of his saves must be a nerve racking experience as he gives up multiple hits and walks in almost every save attempt.

His stats this season: 41 IP, 24 saves, 8 ER, 4 HR, 42 SO, 34 Hits, 18 walks, 2 HB, and a WHIP of 1.27.

Seems clear that you're a little biased, since you left out his 1.76 ERA and only two blown saves...

yankeeshater

Aug 7, 2008
vwnut13 said:
ThoseBackPages said:
World Champion.

So what is Mariano? A four-time World Champion Closer?

yankeeshater said:
What moron voted "Bad Closer" ? ::facepalm::

What morons voted Pedrioa for starting All Star?

Nobody said Rivera wasn't an elite closer. In fact, no body said anything about him.

And the people who voted for Pedroia are the best fans in baseball. He won the MVP, a GG & a SS last year, and combine that with a big market (despite a 2009 season that is below Pedroia's par) and you've got the All-Star starting second basemen. But that, also, has nothing to do with the conversation.

Wes

OG
Administrator
vwnut13 said:
ThoseBackPages said:
World Champion.

So what is Mariano? A four-time World Champion Closer?

yankeeshater said:
What moron voted "Bad Closer" ? ::facepalm::

What morons voted Pedrioa for starting All Star?

How is that at all a fair comparison. Pedroia is much more worthy of being an all star than Papelbon is being labeled a "bad closer."

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire
I consider him a VERY good closer. He needs a few more years at this rate to be considered "elite" in my opinion.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
LLWesMan said:
Seems clear that you're a little biased, since you left out his 1.76 ERA and only two blown saves...

Rivera's ERA is 2.08. 7 of his 10 ER have came in non-save situations, while all 8ER Papelbon has given up has came in a save situation.

Rivera only has one blown save in 29 attempts, Papelbon, 25 in 27.

Also, RSN are some funny people. I was listening to NESN, one of the fans said they aren't worried about the Yankees because they are waiting for the Yankees to colapse like they do every year. Sorry, but the Yankees have always been a second half team, and the sox a first half team.

Sox fans must be confusing the Yankees and the Mets :lol:

yankeeshater

Aug 7, 2008
Again, when did this turn into a Paps vs. Rivera thread? You keep talking about your boy Mariano. What's the deal? You asked if Papelbon was an elite closer, not how he compares to Rivera.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
Pap is good, but he is not an elite closer. I voted a good closer because he has one WS under his belt, but when he puts in a 15-20 year career, than I will change my mind. Experience is golden.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
yankeeshater said:
Again, when did this turn into a Paps vs. Rivera thread? You keep talking about your boy Mariano. What's the deal? You asked if Papelbon was an elite closer, not how he compares to Rivera.

Why, Mariano is an elite closer. You guys think Papelbon is an elite closer, so I was comparing Mariano and Papelbon's stats to show the differance between the two.

What I learned from this thread is that if Papelbon is an elite Closer, than Mariano is a Super Elite Closer. Am I wrong?

I remember a few years ago up here in Vermont I heard Gagne was supposidly a better closer then Rivera, Garciaparra is better then Jeter, and before the season I heard that Rivera is old and washed up, and Papelbon is the best closer ever.

Red Sox fans :lol:

Wes

OG
Administrator
vwnut13 said:
LLWesMan said:

Rivera's ERA is 2.08. 7 of his 10 ER have came in non-save situations, while all 8ER Papelbon has given up has came in a save situation.

Rivera only has one blown save in 29 attempts, Papelbon, 25 in 27.

Also, RSN are some funny people. I was listening to NESN, one of the fans said they aren't worried about the Yankees because they are waiting for the Yankees to colapse like they do every year. Sorry, but the Yankees have always been a second half team, and the sox a first half team.

Sox fans must be confusing the Yankees and the Mets :lol:

Where did Rivera come into this discussion?

Also Red Sox win percentages over the last five years have twice been better in the second half, twice better in the first half, and once within .02 (essentially the same). So hardly conclusive as a second or first half team.

Wes

OG
Administrator
vwnut13 said:
yankeeshater said:

Why, Mariano is an elite closer. You guys think Papelbon is an elite closer, so I was comparing Mariano and Papelbon's stats to show the differance between the two.

What I learned from this thread is that if Papelbon is an elite Closer, than Mariano is a Super Elite Closer. Am I wrong?

I remember a few years ago up here in Vermont I heard Gagne was supposidly a better closer then Rivera, Garciaparra is better then Jeter, and before the season I heard that Rivera is old and washed up, and Papelbon is the best closer ever.

Is there only one elite closer allowed in baseball? Only Rivera is allowed to be considered elite?

caseumsd6

Aug 13, 2008
vwnut13 said:
yankeeshater said:

Papelbon right now is a very good closer. He is not on Riveras level yet and may never get there, but you can not compare their stats and numbers because Rivera has been closing longer than Papelbon has. Talk to me in 10 years when Papelbon has more games and saves under his belt.

yankeeshater

Aug 7, 2008
vwnut13 said:
yankeeshater said:

How is anybody supposed to predict sudden drop-offs in production/injures, in the case of Nomar and Gagne?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts